Introduction-Brent

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

DeimosRising
Embryo

Introduction-Brent

Post by DeimosRising »

Rangers, my name is Brent. I'm from Oregon, where I have spent the majority of my life.  Like many others before me the information on this site has been invaluable. I didn't plan on making an account on this forum because I know all the information I would need has already been asked and answered. The reason I finally decided to do so is from reading the first hand stories of the now Rangers starting off in the introduction section and succeeding to make their dream come true of being a Ranger. It's always nice to read a success story.  
My dad was in the Army so out of all the branches, that is the only one I see myself in. I have contemplated joining the Army for years but it wasn't the right time but now I feel that it's time to serve my country. 
I turned 29 this month. I have tried the college route but have pretty much just put myself in debt with the student loans. Although I enjoyed school, in the end i decided it wasn't for me. I have a family that I love to death but I feel in order to teach my kids to shoot for the stars, I have to do the same. Would it be easier to just join with any random MOS just to serve? I'm sure it would but I couldn't live with myself doing that. I want to be a Ranger because they are a more elite soldier. Although I will have to go through the suck, it will all be worth it in the end knowing I can accomplish anything I set my mind to. 
I've administered a self PT and although I thought I would do better, especially in my run time, I know it's just a baseline. 
Push up-63
Sit up-61
Pull up-8
2 mile run- 13 min 59 sec

I have not talked to a recruiter yet but I plan to come out with a 13F with an option 40. I have a little bit of time before I'm willing to ship to basic so it's not a matter of "if" I can get the contract because I have the time to wait for what I want. I have promised to give my business partner till the end of the year before I leave town so I will have plenty of time to get my PT up and deal with any speed bumps that may arise. Although I love Oregon, I look forward to getting out of the state for awhile.
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Introduction-Brent

Post by Slowpoke »

Welcome Brent. Reading the questions and answers is a valuable resource, but it cannot compare to having a Ranger mentor you. You should explore that option.

Were in ORYGUN are you from?
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Brent, if you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We are proud of the fine young Rangers who have passed through ArmyRanger.com on their life journey. Please read the FAQs as well as select stickies and threads. Most questions have been addressed at least once. The search feature, located at the top right of this page is your friend. Your PT scores need to improve. . Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
DeimosRising
Embryo

Post by DeimosRising »

Ranger Slowpoke, I am currently living about mid ORYGUN in Springfield (right next to Eugene for anyone that is unfamiliar).

Having a Ranger mentor is another reason I ultimately decided to join the forum. To have that opportunity would be amazing. I'm hoping since the 2nd Ranger Battalion is only a state away, I could at least make some connections.

Roger Ranger Jim, PT everyday and I am already seeing improvements on everything.
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

DeimosRising wrote:Ranger Slowpoke, I am currently living about mid ORYGUN in Springfield (right next to Eugene for anyone that is unfamiliar).

Having a Ranger mentor is another reason I ultimately decided to join the forum. To have that opportunity would be amazing. I'm hoping since the 2nd Ranger Battalion is only a state away, I could at least make some connections.

Roger Ranger Jim, PT everyday and I am already seeing improvements on everything.
It's good that you live close to my son in Monmouth.....I can have him come over and fuck you up if you quit. Just kidding..... sorta! I really like that area.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
DeimosRising
Embryo

Post by DeimosRising »

I would expect no less Ranger Slowpoke :) Really all of Oregon is so beautiful and I'm a true web foot. I love the rain shine we get but I feel like its time for a change of scenery even if just for a few years.
Bronco
Quitter

Post by Bronco »

Welcome. PM inbound, DeimosRising.
11X OPT 40
SHIP DATE: 20140715

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
DeimosRising
Embryo

Post by DeimosRising »

Rangers, just a quick update, I spoke with a recruiter today. There is only a small speed bump that I will have to take care of as of now but that is all it is, a mere speed bump. I had eye surgery when I was 16 to detach a muscle in my eye, shorten it, and reattach the muscle to make it stronger. Basically to fix it from wandering if I tilted my head to the side. So being that I don't have the record of it they will have to hunt that down. That's not really the speed bump though. Being a young dumb kid I stretched my ear lobes entirely too large. Although they have shrunken up a lot there is still enough of a hole that light will shine through. I'm told that I can't proceed at all till that is stitched up. So I'll be visiting a plastic surgeon to correct it. Like I said a slight speed bump.

Working on my pt everyday. Mostly with body weight exercises and supplemented with kettle bells. I also train Jiu Jitsu 6 days a week so that can only help.

I'll be doing another self administered PT test a week from my first post to make sure what I'm doing is improving my strength. Looking at strengthening my swimming abilities and adding swim sprints as well. More than likely reducing the Jiu Jitsu to add swimming in so I don't do too much and burn myself out. 1% better everyday.
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Brent.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
DeimosRising
Embryo

Post by DeimosRising »

Thank you for the welcome Ranger CharlieRanger1FFV.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Brent, I suggest you wait two weeks before another self-administered PT test. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
DeimosRising
Embryo

Post by DeimosRising »

Roger Ranger Jim. I'll be taking your advice and be doing the PT test 2 weeks out.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

DeimosRising wrote:Roger Ranger Jim. I'll be taking your advice and be doing the PT test 2 weeks out.
What I have found (over many years) is that gains usually are more dramatic over a longer period of time. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
DeimosRising
Embryo

Post by DeimosRising »

Rangers, it's been entirely too long since I've been on here. Life put a road block in my way and it was something I had to deal with first.
My wife broke her ankle in half right after I started posting. She was painting in our bathroom. She had one foot on the toilet and one on the bathtub just to touch up one spot. Well she slipped and landed on the side of her ankle. Luckily I was just getting home from Jiu Jitsu but she ended up breaking her tibia, fibula in 2 spots, and dislocating her ankle. 2 surgeries later she's doing pretty well but she'll need an ankle replacement sooner than later.

Anyways we're finally to a spot to where I can resume my dreams and aspirations. I've restarted my Pt 2 weeks ago and have done ok with my gains.
I knew I was going to revive my intro thread so I did a self administered pt test.

2 mile run: 12 min 43 sec
Push ups: 66
Sit ups: 51
Pull ups: 10

Happy with the 2 mile run but I want to get it down to 11 minutes. Definitely not happy with the rest but its a starting point I guess.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Brent, you have been gone over two years. What happened on your medical waiver on your eyes? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”