Why? (kind of a rant)

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Some folks like that will never understand...More then anything I'm glad that I chose the time straight out of high school to serve my country. 4 years from 18-22 is not a lot of time.

During this time, most of your peers will be going to college and/or working at Burger King.

You'll exit the army (or stay in) with a good "base" from which to springboard your life.

My 2 cents.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Welcome :lol:

The miltary will have young men such as yourself from all over the entire country. You will certainly see more than all the friends you leave behind. In a few short years you will grow leaps and bounds into a man. What you do with your life will be the biggest decision to date. Listen to all - Stay Focused, Never quit. Never allow yourself to let those words enter your mind. And never shall these simple words pass though your lips. Then you will go far.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

If you read on this site you will find the accounts of other young men such as yourself. Some go to Basic/AIT where they find others like them, who have Ranger contracts. More than 3/4 of them will want to quit their Ranger contracts before they even go to Airborne School because they are scared little boys who are away from home for the first time in their lives.

Don't be one of them. Ignore them and keep as much distance from them as possible at all times.
Ripcord
Tadpole

Post by Ripcord »

I can not say it any better than Pres. Jonh F Kennedy " Ask Not What Your Country Can do For You But Ask What You Can Do For Your Country''
Tell them to piss off and join the service if you are like us you will never be sorry
A/2-501 Anb Inf 101st Abn
RVN 1970/1971 Northern I Corps
If You Have Not Made Out A Will Do So now ,SSG H Breifing new Troopers In Viet-Nam
Wakan Tanka Nici Un
Ripcord , Drive on
SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

T Kim wrote:If they even have to ask "why," they won't understand.
Exactly. Thats pretty much what I tell them, if you don't want to do it, your not going to understand.

I just get a little mad when people say I'm stupid, crazy, dumbass, or I'm going to die, thats always a good one.
First Batt, Best Batt 09-12
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Ball Peen Hammer wrote:
T Kim wrote:If they even have to ask "why," they won't understand.
Exactly. Thats pretty much what I tell them, if you don't want to do it, your not going to understand.

I just get a little mad when people say I'm stupid, crazy, dumbass, or I'm going to die, thats always a good one.

They said the same thing to me (Desert Storm time frame). I'm sure they have been saying that throughout history.
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

Fuck them. If they don't understand they never will. That is why Rangers like all of us, are at this site. No one else understands.

When I was at the reunion a month or so ago I told the young Rangers who were getting out to think very carefully about their decision. Because no one outside those who have been Rangers or others that have served really understand. But the reality is that I could care less. Those that count are right here at this site and are my Ranger brothers. Everyone else has gotten a free ride on the backs of veterans for years and most will continue to do so. Those of us that have served understand and look out for our brothers.

How do you think the Viet Nam vets feel? A whole generation shit on them. But the only people that count, the veterans, know what they did for our country when it called. That's all that matters.
Ranger2
Ruffner275
Ranger

Post by Ruffner275 »

Bad Muther is right, most of them will never understand. When you go back "home" ten years from now (which I did this summer), most of them still won't understand. However, after a period of time (like ten years later), a lot of them will look at you in awe, realizing that you lived the life YOU wanted to live, while most of them wasted there lives doing shit.

On 28OCT, it will be two years since I ets'd. I'm still serving my country, still doing what I want to do, and I have a job that a lot would kill to have. RLTW!
12B1P 11th ACR 96-99
11B2V C co. 2/75 99-02
Class 8-00
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

When I was going through RIP, a guy said to me, "You know we make it through this, and become Rangers, and the rest of ours lives will be gravy."

Not saying to be a lazy POS, quite the contrary...Most Rangers keep driving on and doing great things.

Point being, nothing in your life will ever come close to the time that you were a Ranger. Never quit, and don't live a life of regrets.
VAK
USAF Veteran

Post by VAK »

Oddly, more and more it seems that these same people are coming back to site like ours in droves in some silent and secret poser status trying to get something that they missed out on and that they can never replace...

It was a funny thing both when I was in the military and before I retired from the Police Department, there were always those who would find some reason to ask the question "Why did you do that with your life?", while at the same time they are wishing they had, had the intestinal and moral fortitude to do the same thing.

I sincerely believe that there are many ways one can serve their Nation and their community. I also believe that every person is obligated to serve in some fashion or another and not necessarily in the military, law enforcement or fire service. I know of several people who simply couldn't mentally of physically do the job. So, maybe the next time you're asked "Why?" You should ask them "Why they are not and further what they are doing to serve or give back?" I noticed above a Kennedy qoute, "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country." Now, I am not a great Kennedy historian, but it has been a long time since those words have meant more than they do here, now, today.

We have been at War for three years and many if not most American's are making little or no sacrifices. Certainly it is a time that we should be collectively to do all that is possible to unite to win this War on Terror, in the Legislature, in the small towns and cities and where ever our soldiers may go. But to win, to truly turn the tide and sieze the initiative, it must be a fight that we are all in on. So, sincerely ask them "Why aren't you doing more?" and certainly "Where is your support of a young man who is embarking on a journey that is the greatest of his life, that will set the course of his life."

In short as of late I do seem to be getting windy in my responses, tell them it's just like the President said at the onset of this War. You're either with us or against us. And to be asking questions like that, I would take the position they're against us.... So, fuck them.

Good luck,
usaftacp
"Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
(Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe)

Mentor to those who would seek to be CAS God's

Return to “The Mosh Pit”