SitRep-CoSa

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
CoSa
Ranger

SitRep-CoSa

Post by CoSa »

Well it's been too long Rangers.Knocking out 50+1 for the unacceptable absence.I'll do my best describe my journey thus far, and give advice for the mentees.

30th AG

Plenty has been said about this place, and most of what I've read was pretty close to my experience, but there is still lots to be said.This is where you'll get your first taste of the Army.You'll nervously clench your butthole at the sight of the first round brown that steps on your bus, you'll wait around for paperwork that never seems to end, you'll deal with some of the biggest dirtbags, and you won't get much sleep.It helped me tons however.This is where you'll meet some of your closest friends and make some of the most important first impressions.(ill talk about this shortly) Almost everyone in your company will be classing up with you at sand hill.Be squared away and patient and before you know it, it'll be pick up day..

Sand Hill

A short bus ride later, we found ourselves sprinting up the hill to C 1-50 for a warm welcome with our new drill sergeants :lol: . The days flew by and before I knew it, it was white phase.I was one of the rare birds that never shot a gun before OSUT.I thought it would come naturally and easily, but dear god was I wrong.I shot terribly at first and it frustrated the hell out of me.One of my bunkmates offered to be my mentor, and he ended up being a great teacher.After dry-firing for hours and working on my technique,(everyone had a good laugh watching me try the kneeling at first) slowly but surely I was improving event by event.Qualification day was one of the most nerve racking days for me.I had the shits all morning.After 3 tries my best score was a 34/40.I shot better than my friend who taught me, but not shooting Expert was probably my biggest disappointment of training.After that, we moved on to the exciting stuff like clearing rooms,battle drills, and important tasks of an Infantryman.Before I knew it, it was time for our final FTX.Here you'll go on multiple simulated combat missions with your battle-buddies, and get a sample of what you'll get to do in a real unit.This was probably my favorite part of OSUT (NIC at night was awesome too).Our drill sergeant had an affinity for blowing us out of our patrol base and it was cold as shit, but overall it was one of the most valuable learning experiences I got to have.We capped off FTX with our final rite of passage; the bayonet march.It sucked ass (especially with my 249) but earning my cross rifles on our honor hill was one of the proudest moments of my life.A short few weeks later, I was in my dress blues marching across the parade field with a blue cord and a smile on my face.I know i'm just scratching the surface of this, but it's the best worst time mentees.You'll have some of the best teachers of your life and learn more than any school can teach you in this short amount of time.Good Luck

final pt score:300-72 PU 85 SU 12:32 2-mile

Airborne

This is where you'll find your first taste of freedom mentees.This doesn't mean it's an excuse to do whatever the hell you want however.There were plenty of guys who fell victim to the game link.Don't be one of them. Airborne is what you make of it.Most of ground and tower week will be spent standing around and training for jump week.None of this is difficult.We lost more than 25% of my class due to the PT test and failures to PLF correctly.I really don't know what to tell you if you don't think you can pass the PT test.You have plenty of time at sand hill to PT yourself into shape.Same goes at airborne.Though you may find yourself tired of standing around, it's your job to insure that you're constantly improving your fitness.Jump week was one of the most awesome times of my life.Here you will put everything you've learned to the test and jump out of a perfectly good airplane.The experience is surreal.That Friday we got our wings pinned and parted ways to pre-rasp.

Pre-Rasp
Here I found myself in an environment I hadn't experienced before.I'm surrounded by some of the most professional cadre and doing the most challenging PT of my pipeline so far. Discipline is strictly enforced and Integrity is essential.Yesterday my class and I did 2200 straddle hops (jumping jacks) until we had a guy pass out for contraband found.This is the first environment I feel I belong in since I joined the Army.The cadre expect your best and insure you get prepared for Rasp.I've never felt so confident to start this journey.(we class up jan 31) PT yourself more when you are released and always think of the consequences of the actions you take.

Battle Buddies

In this span of about 4 months,from the second you leave on the bus to 30th, you are surrounded by peers that can make an impact on your future and decisions.Choose wisely mentees.I was exctatic to meet all the option 40s at 30th AG (105 in my company), but it blew my mind how many of these guys were shitbags.Some took the contract for the airborne, some cause it was the only infantry available, and some thought they were going to ranger school.Though some had no clue what they signed up for,I felt I could distinguish who was mentally tough and who didn't have the right mindset just by talking to them. At first It seemed crazy, but those same bare minimum soldiers were failing PT tests, getting in trouble, and hardly meeting the standard.These weak minded individuals eventually get whats coming and won't even make it to pre-rasp.between quitting,failing PT tests, trouble, and miscellaneous, they almost all get weeded out.About 60 from my company are at pre rasp right now.I found myself associating with guys that work hard and have a strong mentality.Most of them are sons of veteran operators or come from hard working backgrounds.These are the type of guys you want to be around.I've never been one to go to the gym, but I find myself there almost daily now because my buddies push me to go and better myself.Seek competition mentees, for it makes you stronger, and raises the bar for excellence.If you strive for the best, you'll find like-minded individuals who can push you to your goals better than you ever could on your own.

If any mentees have any questions about the pipeline so far or anything I missed, i'll gladly answer any PMs
11X OPT. 40
SHIP DATE: 20130723

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: SitRep-CoSa

Post by Jim »

Good SITREP. Did your prep as a Mentee help you? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
CoSa
Ranger

Post by CoSa »

Roger that Ranger Jim! The mentees thread helped square me away before I even reached Sandhill.Many of the tasks assigned familiarized me with the material I would be seeing later on in the pipeline.This website and mentees thread is one of the most valuable resources a DEP can hope to learn from.
11X OPT. 40

CoSa
Ranger

Post by CoSa »

Rangers I finished Cole Range last Friday and am moving into week 3 of Rasp.Mentees, you'll get the same advice from me that everyone else receives.Don't quit.You chose this path, stick with it and see it through.It's that simple.
I found out Michael S. was in my class at the end of Cole Range.Shook my hand and introduced himself.Had no clue he'd been there sucking with me this whole time.Its pretty awesome running into guys from the site like that.
Driving on to the next objective and stoked to be ever so closer to receiving my tan beret! I'll be sure to give a SitRep soon.

-Colton
11X OPT. 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

CoSa, continue to drive on. Great to see you and MichaelS have linked up. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Great Sitrep, CoSa . . .Now finish the mission!

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Mentees: MichaelS and CoSa are both doing well in adverse weather. I'm proud of both of them. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
CoSa
Ranger

Post by CoSa »

Well Rangers, graduation week is upon us and i'm proud to say I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.A lot has happened in these last few weeks.Due to a handful of injuries and a surprise locker "inspection" class 04-14 is now down to almost 50%.This is a course you have to take seriously mentees.Thats all that needs to be said.I've learned more than I could have ever imagined in the last 2 months and am in the best shape of my life.I ran my 5 mile in a 30:50 last week, and i've never been a great runner.You're limits only dictate how hard you can push yourself.This pipeline has taught me you can stretch your boundaries much further than you can imagine.Also that it's much harder than you think to get hypothermia :lol: .The make up PT test is on monday and we might be downsizing again, but Michael S. and I are doing fine and can't wait to graduate! I will post a SitRep then.

-Colton
11X OPT. 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Don't do anything dumb. Will try to have someone at the ceremony. Never, never quit!.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
CoSa
Ranger

Post by CoSa »

Rangers, I have successfully graduated RASP with class 04-14 and am proud to say i'll be headed to Savannah, GA. Standing there amongst some of the greatest warriors and donning my tan beret has made me realize that this was the greatest decision of my life. The difficult part now begins.I'm ready to prove myself that I deserve to wear this beret and keep it! Hope everyone has a great weekend.

-Colton
11X OPT. 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Max Mullen, your guest speaker said he had met you, but forgot your name. I'm proud of all you have accomplished. And you are correct, the tough part will begin shortly. Enjoy yourself in Savanna, and never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Congratulations Ranger CoSa, welcome to the Brotherhood.

You can select a Big Boi avatar or make one of your own.

3 weeks after you arrive in your assigned Battalion send me a PM to remind me to send you a cyber- packet.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
CoSa
Ranger

Post by CoSa »

Thank you Ranger Steadfast and Ranger Jim! Can do.
11X OPT. 40

CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Steadfast wrote:Congratulations Ranger CoSa, welcome to the Brotherhood.
2x . . .just Outfuckingstanding!!!

When you get assigned to your unit, make sure that you listen to the old guys. They will teach you a lot of things that aren't written in the books. Learn as much as you can and do as they do.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
CoSa
Ranger

Post by CoSa »

Holy hell its been forever since I've been on here...

I just got done reading my posts on here and laughed cause that felt like yesterday.I feel like I've matured so much as a man in my 3 years in the army already.Crazy how time flies.Where to begin...Life in batt was shitty at first because I was a nervous retard.Thank god I was a strong Ranger.It took me about 6 months and a million push ups before I became a confident and competent Ranger.I did a training cycle in weapons carrying heavy shit at 130 pounds before I eventually moved to AT, to carry a fuck ton more with 84mm rounds.I might have not been the best at everything, but my squad leaders always saw my motivation and worked with me.My company was one of the few that didn't get to deploy my first training cycle so I got to spend some time at NTC.This was my first experience as a Gus team leader and actually did pretty well.Marksmanship actually ended up being my thing after all.After a few more months my leadership decided I was ready to go to school...
Ranger school 1 (yes I call it that for a reason)
Ranger school sucks, but it isn't impossible so I'm not going to talk about that aspect.Sorry mentees. Did fine at Surt.Sucked dick at RAP, made it through.Recycled Darby, straight through mountains, made it to Florida, then had a "test fire" incident. Long story short, don't assume the man before you cleared his 240 from the night before...Painful lesson learned...I ended up failing patrols in Florida anyway.It was devastating spending that long at Ranger school, just to come back empty handed.I was angry at the world, and especially myself.I thought my Ranger career was done for...
Deployment
The day I got dropped from school, I got a call from my new squad leader informing me shit sucks, but ill still be taking a Gus team overseas and I was leaving in 4 days.Life was happening quickly,but I didn't let it get to me. I got treated like a black sheep overseas for my failure. Some questioned why I was there, but I showed in return was performance.I can't say much because of OPSEC, but I got my CIB, got to do my job frequently and participated in some new Ranger history.Those 84mm shells make some cool beer mugs.All before I turned 21....
Ranger school 2
I returned back home and trained for a little while before my leadership determined I was ready for a second chance. I had to do everything all over again and never thought about why it was worth it for a single day. It sucked. I knew everything that was coming and dreaded it all, but used it to my advantage. I went straight through and graduated about 4 weeks ago.
Life currently
Life is fucking great.Im not just saying that because I've validated myself at some leadership school.I say that because I see the man that adversity has carved me into.Its amazing to think of how much I've matured in only 3 years and 2 days...best decision i've ever made
11X OPT. 40

Return to “Letters from School”