The Hardest Part of Deployment for Moms

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

MsMarla
Ranger Mom

The Hardest Part of Deployment for Moms

Post by MsMarla »

Today was supposed to be a good day--my husband and I are celebrating 19 years of marriage. I was out running a few errands, grabbed some lunch at a drive thru, and then the news came on the radio. Six of our own, killed. My son is there. I have no idea where he is. I pray that it is not him. And then I remember that if not mine, it is someone else's son, and I want to puke.
Proud mother of a Ranger
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Re: The Hardest Part of Deployment for Moms

Post by IEDmagnet »

wazzle wrote:Hang in there. Thoughts and prayers coming your way.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Prays sent. He'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

I enlisted in 1965, and until my mother died in 1993, she worried more about me being in harm's way than I ever did. Mothers are like that. You and your family are in my 0prayers.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
MsMarla
Ranger Mom

Post by MsMarla »

Thanks everyone. We are still waiting for word, but hoping that no news is good news. Three of my children helpfully came down with the flu and 102+ fevers yesterday, so I have my distraction.

On a side note, (and mini-vent): It is stupid for the Army to release these stories before the families have been notified and they can give specifics. Why worry everyone? For what purpose? The general public don't seem to be paying attention anyway.
Proud mother of a Ranger
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

MsMarla wrote:Thanks everyone. We are still waiting for word, but hoping that no news is good news. Three of my children helpfully came down with the flu and 102+ fevers yesterday, so I have my distraction.

On a side note, (and mini-vent): It is stupid for the Army to release these stories before the families have been notified and they can give specifics. Why worry everyone? For what purpose? The general public don't seem to be paying attention anyway.
Because if the Army doesn't the media will and then accuse the government of keeping secrets. It's stupid but true. Hope for good words from you soon.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
MsMarla
Ranger Mom

Post by MsMarla »

We heard from our boy today. Thank you so much for all the well wishes. I'm grateful for the prayer and support of other Ranger moms, whom I've gotten to know.

Rangertough, thanks for your answer about the media coverage. I guess I should have realized. Stupid media.
Proud mother of a Ranger
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

MsMarla wrote:We heard from our boy today. Thank you so much for all the well wishes. I'm grateful for the prayer and support of other Ranger moms, whom I've gotten to know.

Rangertough, thanks for your answer about the media coverage. I guess I should have realized. Stupid media.
Speaking from experience is all. I hope you never have to. They really are a pain in the butt. Glad to hete things are good.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

I never worried about myself. I told them, constantly that I was where I wanted to be, doing what I wanted to do. That if I died, I died doing what I loved.

My last trip my ex brought my kids to the send off. She was crying, hugged me and told me "say the word and I'll drive you to Canada, right now." It wast her first time sending me off.

I laughed and told her again, I wouldn't be who I was if I accepted her offer. But I thanked her for being true to herself and offering it. I was touched by how much she still loved me.

My girls are 18 and 20. They have no desire to serve, and I'm ok with that. I'd loose my shit daily if they went downrange. I don't know how y'all can be so strong. My mom has always been strong and supportive. Kept me in beer and bourbon and never dry. She understands and accepts this is my path. I wouldn't have her grace. Or she fakes it really well to my face.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
MsMarla
Ranger Mom

Post by MsMarla »

KW Driver wrote:I never worried about myself. I told them, constantly that I was where I wanted to be, doing what I wanted to do. That if I died, I died doing what I loved.

My last trip my ex brought my kids to the send off. She was crying, hugged me and told me "say the word and I'll drive you to Canada, right now." It wast her first time sending me off.

I laughed and told her again, I wouldn't be who I was if I accepted her offer. But I thanked her for being true to herself and offering it. I was touched by how much she still loved me.

My girls are 18 and 20. They have no desire to serve, and I'm ok with that. I'd loose my shit daily if they went downrange. I don't know how y'all can be so strong. My mom has always been strong and supportive. Kept me in beer and bourbon and never dry. She understands and accepts this is my path. I wouldn't have her grace. Or she fakes it really well to my face.
She was probably faking it. I need to figure out how to do that, I've never been good at it.

My husband deployed 8 times. He flew jets off aircraft carriers and patrolled the no fly zone over Iraq. He always told everyone it was harder on me, but I could see it getting harder on him as the kids got older. Not because he was ever fearful for himself, but because he realized more and more what he was missing at home, and the kids were all growing up without him. He retired after 22 years when they tried to force him into a one year disassociated tour in Afghanistan around the time our son was going over for the first time. He didn't want to put me through it. Just one of the reasons I think he's pretty awesome.

I'm very proud of my son for doing what he's doing, but furious over some of the details. Things have gone downhill in the past 25 years.
Proud mother of a Ranger

Return to “The Mosh Pit”