What is the record for the longest jump at Friar Field?

Military Humor. Laugh at me. Laugh at you. Laugh at them.

Moderator: Site Admin

al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

What is the record for the longest jump at Friar Field?

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

During the mid-summer of 1968 I was a training officer for a NCOC company at Benning. During an afternoon river crossing class (that faced towards Friar Field) we could observe the afternoons jump. That afternoon we were treated to a very unusual sight. Amongst all of the descending chutes there was one that after a few seconds started rising and drifting in a southerly direction periodically falling only to rise again and continuing its journey to southern Georgia. After watching this hapless jumper for over half an hour we were then able to also watch the helicopter that followed him. I never did find out how long he stayed up or how far he drifted but the popular story was that was his first and last jump.

Does anyone know what the longest jump is?
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Re: What is the record for the longest jump at Friar Field?

Post by centermass »

As a Jumpmaster, had one guy I put out over the DZ. He hit a thermal and was still in the air, just drifting around long after I hit the ground. Eventually, he wound up in a Food Lion parking lot. He called the SDNCO letting him know his location so he could get a ride back.

I'm thinking all tolled, he was airborne for at least 20 minutes or more.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

centermass wrote:As a Jumpmaster, had one guy I put out over the DZ. He hit a thermal and was still in the air, just drifting around long after I hit the ground. Eventually, he wound up in a Food Lion parking lot. He called the SDNCO letting him know his location so he could get a ride back.

I'm thinking all tolled, he was airborne for at least 20 minutes or more.
Wow. That's a lot of hangtime considering you're starting out at 1000'...or sometimes even lower. I went through jump school in the summer of '68. Never heard about the specific jump referenced above, but we heard stories about similar jumps-gone-bad. Anyone here jumped one of those "flying squirrel" suits yet? Vertical descent rate of only 30mph, but a ground speed of 100mph, so fear not, you can still kill yourself real easy.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

I was (am) too big a chunk for the sky to hold me up that long. Most airflow related experiences I had involved falling faster than I'd have liked.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

I am a small guy, but I got stuck with the SAW....and a radio later.... to counter my lack of tail.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.

Return to “Good Humor Popsicle Zone”