Sit rep- The_Other

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
The_Other
Inprocessing

Sit rep- The_Other

Post by The_Other »

Rangers and those aspiring to be:

Yesterday I graduated with those from class 07-13. First, I want to thank the Rangers on this site who helped prepare me for RASP.

For those yet to go, I'll add what I can, there is already some really great advice on this forum. One thing I haven't seen stressed as much, especially in these summer months is proper hydration. It wasn't until after I got to RASP that I learned what that meant. With the pt you do, you will sweat a lot and need to replenish that water. Salt up your meals too so it's not just going through you. When you're in the field, especially Cole Range, use the iodized salt packets. A lot of us had at least heat cramps there, some close to heat stroke. We had at least 5 drops as heat casualties, with one having a 107 degree core temp. Drink water every 5 minutes, drink it if you aren't thirsty, drink it until your piss is clear, then keep drinking. Even if you are just waiting around in formation you need to be mindful, the humidity and Georgia sun will cook you.

The other point to emphasize isn't new but can't be stressed enough: mental toughness and having the right mind set. People quit for the dumbest reasons and try to bullshit their excuse, "It's not for me... I just don't want it anymore" etc. They are just to afraid to admit they are a pussy. Some try to convince them to stay and tell them they will regret it later, which they will, but don't waste your time on them, they usually have bad attitudes and you WILL end up picking up their slack until they quit. And if they don't want to be there the don't need to be.

Another thing on mental toughness. A lot of the heat casualties had core temps as low as 99.8 to 102. That shouldn't be enough to make you go down, you will be living in that temp most of the time from all you are doing. Be smart though, don't just push through if you are seeing the white spots. But if you are eating right and hydrating, you won't be a heat casualty.

I'll leave you with some advice multiple Rangers I've met said to me: pain ends. Don't give up what you really want for what you think you want right now.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Sit rep- The_Other

Post by Jim »

Tyler, You have come a long way in a short time. I'm amazed at how your experience has matured you. Now the tough part begins; earning your place every day. When you get to 3d Bn tell us what unit have you been assigned to? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Willy_P
Ranger

Post by Willy_P »

Tab check. :twisted:
RASP #08-11
RS #04,05-13
HHC, 3/75 MTR.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Willis wrote:Tab check. :twisted:
You wasted no time, Willis. 13-71.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Ranger The_Other, congratulations on becoming a Ranger.

3 weeks after you are at your assigned Ranger Battalion send me a PM to remind me to send you a cyber-packet.

I see you've already updated your avatar, excellent.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
The_Other
Inprocessing

Post by The_Other »

Roger, Ranger Steadfast.