My Recruiter Is Trying To Sway Me Away The Option 40 Contrac

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Alpinestars
Embryo

My Recruiter Is Trying To Sway Me Away The Option 40 Contrac

Post by Alpinestars »

Greetings Rangers,

Basically I am in the beginning stages of enlisting. Right now my recruiter is having me fill out the big packet with all my information and references and what not. The only problem is, as me and him are talking when I go to his office, he always tells me how option 40's are hard to come by and telling me to get an 11x contract and then go to RASP when a slot opens up after AIT. I really want to get the option 40 but he is making it seem like it is impossible to get. He is also saying that the route of getting an 11x contract then going to RASP after AIT when a slot opens up will definitely work and that they always have open slots. So I guess my question is, should I take the route he has suggested or should I fight for the option 40 contract and tell him that unless I get the option 40, I am not enlisting. Thanks for reading and I look forward to your replies.
PerryB
Recruiting for the Darkside

Re: My Recruiter Is Trying To Sway Me Away The Option 40 Con

Post by PerryB »

This isn't an easy question to answer right now. The Army Recruiting Command does have Ranger Slots (option 40) but most of the MOSs are not infantry. What I am seeing on the request system at the Houston meps is option 40 with the following MOSs: 92G, 92Y, 88M, and 42A. I haven't seen it in about a month for 11X. The problem at this time of the year is the summer surge is about to happen and all the high school seniors that are in the class of 2013 have snatched up most of the option 40s that were on the system.

I just looked in the request system and didn't see any option 40s at all for any MOS. It changes on a weekly basis. I cannot say for 100% certainty that you'll get offered a RASP contract after AIT. When my son went to basic in 2011 they did offer RASP contracts to the top 10% of the company. Basically that was anyone that scored a 300 on their APFT in week 10. He was a dumbass and didn't accept it because his girl friend talked him out of it. (I wanted to kill her).

We can as counselors try and update your record after you enlist with an option 40 before you ship if some training shows up. That is no guarantee either. So if you enlist with just 11X wherever you are beofre you ship the counslors can try that route.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions please PM me.
Perry

H

Return to “Recruitment Process”