Introduction-Jim

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Jim B
Embryo

Re: Introduction-Jim

Post by Jim B »

Update:

There are still no option 40 contracts available. My recruiters continue to say that their won't be any until October. I'm unable to wait that long so I recently (Today) reserved an 11x contract with no option 40. My MEPS date is 7 days away.

My thought process behind getting the 11x would be that I'd work my butt off to hopefully obtain an opt. 40 in OSUT. If not, I'd just request to go to Airborne and RASP once I get to my first unit. I'm graduating high school in a few months and need to make up my mind within the next week or so for what I'm doing (either College/Army/Work Full Time) which is why I need to get the ball rolling about getting in the DEP.

Does this seem like a logical thing to do? How hard will it be to get orders to to RASP once I'm at my first duty station? Thanks

-Jim B
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Jim B wrote: Does this seem like a logical thing to do? How hard will it be to get orders to to RASP once I'm at my first duty station? Thanks.
Check the other future soldier posts. It sounds like what you are experiencing is not unique. You should at least try to get an airborne school option (option 4) as part of your package. That way the Ranger LNO will get to consider you twice (OSUT and abn school).
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
PerryB
Recruiting for the Darkside

Post by PerryB »

JimB, option 40s are very tough to get right now. What you can do is have your recruiter reserve Infantry without option 40. When you go to the meps the GC can call the ROC (recruiting operations center) and try to get a option 40 added on for you (or as Jim wrote try for an airborne option). If all that fails the GC can ask the ROC what MOSs are available with a option 40. If there is a MOS you like you can go with that and still get to RASP.
Good Luck,

PerryB
Jim B
Embryo

Post by Jim B »

Rangers, Thanks for the input.

I think the option 4 will define my decision on whether or not I enlist. I just finished reading Ranger cdwdirect 's post from awhile back regarding how MEPS and recruiters try to get guys to join different jobs then what they really aspire to be. He basically said its nearly impossible for an 11b to get a slot at airborne school during their career, which was something I was unaware of.

So I think I won't take the regular 11x. I'd prefer to have the option 40, but from what I've read, an option 4 sounds like a promising way to get closer to RASP.

Its good to hear that I may be able to get one of the options added on to my MOS at MEPS. I'll just have to wait and see what MEPS has in store for me..
I'll go 11x, 68w, or 13F. With option 4s or 40s on them. Thanks again.

-Jim B
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Consider the other MOSs that are available in the Regiment:

http://www.soc.mil/75th%20Ranger%20Regi ... iting.html

Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Jim B
Embryo

Post by Jim B »

I think I'm only going to sign an 11x opt. 40.

I've been told that it was a bad idea to go to MEPS and not sign anything by some buddies in the DEP. They said it would be a waste of time for me to just go and refuse to sign my reserved 11x slot, which would also greatly piss off my recruiters. Should I go to see what the GC at MEPS has? Or should I not go until the recruiters promise me that an 11x option 40 will be available (most likely would be at start of next fiscal year) ? I'm not sure if canceling a MEPS appointment is bad or not. Any thoughts on this situation? Thanks
PerryB
Recruiting for the Darkside

Post by PerryB »

You cancel your meps appointment it isn't a big deal besides if you aren't going to enlist why go and waste everyone's time and money. Your recruiter can reserve a Option 40 for you if and when they are available. I think you need to read a few posts by goon175 about how soldiers are getting into RASP.

Perryb

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”