Sitrep Diord Fionn

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
Diord Fionn
Embryo

Sitrep Diord Fionn

Post by Diord Fionn »

Rangers, I enlisted with 11x and intended to earn the opportunity to go to rasp. I'm happy to say I was offered option 40 during the basic portion of osut. I signed an option 40 but was offered 18x 2 days later, I guess none of my paperwork is solidified yet.

I'm looking for direction, I really have no idea is a better fit for me personally. The Ranger mission and getting into the fight quicker is very attractive to me. However, my drill sergeants seem to think SF is the way to go. I'm on 36 hour pass currently and appreciate any insight/opinions no matter how biased.
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Sitrep Diord Fionn

Post by rangertough »

Diord Fionn wrote:Rangers, I enlisted with 11x and intended to earn the opportunity to go to rasp. I'm happy to say I was offered option 40 during the basic portion of osut. I signed an option 40 but was offered 18x 2 days later, I guess none of my paperwork is solidified yet.

I'm looking for direction, I really have no idea is a better fit for me personally. The Ranger mission and getting into the fight quicker is very attractive to me. However, my drill sergeants seem to think SF is the way to go. I'm on 36 hour pass currently and appreciate any insight/opinions no matter how biased.
RGT is hard as hell to get into from other Infantry units. SF actively courts men who have established careers in the army.

If you decide on RGT you can always transition to SF later. If you decide on SF you will not be able to transition to RGT. Your career options are much more open with an Option 40.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
Diord Fionn
Embryo

Post by Diord Fionn »

Rangers, thank you for the responses. I will stick with my choice of regiment. I look forward to my future training and I'll post updates when I'm able. I won't waste this opportunity.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

rangertough wrote: RGT is hard as hell to get into from other Infantry units. SF actively courts men who have established careers in the army.

If you decide on RGT you can always transition to SF later. If you decide on SF you will not be able to transition to RGT. Your career options are much more open with an Option 40.

Tough
I could not have said it better. Completely agree!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Diord Fionn
Embryo

Post by Diord Fionn »

Rangers, I have graduated OSUT and will begin Airborne on Monday. OSUT was a good experience, I've picked a few other motivated Option 40s to surround myself with. I accomplished my goal of an over 300 APFT, I reassessed and set new fitness goals. In addition, I'll be studying and practicing land navigation whenever possible.

I'll continue to post sitreps when appropriate; thank you once more for the guidance you all have provided.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Good SITREP! Keep us advised of your progress. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Back when I was learning to fire the musket, my drill Sgt in Basic (what we called it back then) wanted me to drop Jump School (what we called BAC back then). I would not let him deter me from what I intended to do (become a Paratrooper). I also earned my Blue Cord. Be firm in your commitment - let no one deter you from achieving your goals. As Ranger Jim says, Never, never quit.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Diord Fionn
Embryo

Post by Diord Fionn »

I graduated airborne without any issues. However, I ended up switching to 18x during airborne. Sopc hold until August then sopc and sfas in September.

It took a lot of thinking and conversing but at the end of the day sf makes the most sense for me.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Good SITREP. Having never served in the Ranger Regiment, I do not feel comfortable commenting; but I have worked with foreign armies extensively, I can assure you it will be a challenge. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Diord Fionn
Embryo

Post by Diord Fionn »

Another quick SITREP, I'm currently in Sopc hold for the summer. My primarily goal is to attain the highest level of fitness possible while here. I'm staying focused and out of trouble.

My anticipated class dates August and September for sopc and sfas respectively.

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Diord Fionn wrote:Another quick SITREP, I'm currently in Sopc hold for the summer. My primarily goal is to attain the highest level of fitness possible while here. I'm staying focused and out of trouble.

My anticipated class dates August and September for sopc and sfas respectively.

Good SITREP! What is your language going to be?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Diord Fionn
Embryo

Post by Diord Fionn »

I'm not sure yet Ranger Jim. I'll take the dlab during sfas and we get our mos/language/group wish list then as well. I'm brushing back up on my Spanish (I took 5 years) in the event that it comes into play. If not then I'm certainly none the worse for it.

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Diord Fionn wrote:I'm not sure yet Ranger Jim. I'll take the dlab during sfas and we get our mos/language/group wish list then as well. I'm brushing back up on my Spanish (I took 5 years) in the event that it comes into play. If not then I'm certainly none the worse for it.
Have you tried taking the Spanish language test? You can do it at your Ed Center. Should not be a problem as you are on hold. Depending on how you test out, you may be language proficient.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Diord Fionn
Embryo

Post by Diord Fionn »

I appreciate the info Ranger Jim. I'll look into taking the language test after I've brushed up some more.

Return to “Letters from School”