Introduction: Kevin

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

dawekl
Egg

Introduction: Kevin

Post by dawekl »

Hello Rangers and future Rangers,

My name is Kevin and I am from Ohio. I am 24 years young and 6'0" and 200 lbs. I graduated college about a year and a half ago with a degree in International Business. I tried the professional atmosphere for awhile because that's what I thought I was "supposed" to do, when in reality, I have dreamed of being a Ranger for years and years. About seven months ago my cousin became a Green Beret. It was at that moment I realized it is crazier for me to fear my dream and live a "normal" life than it is to pursue a dream. Once I heard my cousin had made it, I knew with dedication, I could also make it.

So I took my trip to my local recruitment office in a very naive state of mind, doing no prior research. I informed my recruiter of a surgery I had on my labrum in my right shoulder about 4 years ago. I thought nothing of it at the time as my shoulder is fine today. I have played two years of college lacrosse since my surgery and continue to workout daily and have never had an issue. My recruiter never mentioned this would be an issue until I found out for myself at MEPS just yesterday. I was DQ'd, but was allowed to complete my physical and MEPS is setting me up for a waiver request with an Army doctor. After this event I really began to worry that my dream could be done, so I began to search for answers when I stumbled upon this amazing site. (I wish I had a long time ago)

So here I am at this very moment waiting to hear about a waiver appointment with an Army doc. Throughout my research I have found good news stories and bad news stories, and that any medical waiver automatically DQ's me from Airborne. So I assume every issue is different so I do not expect anyone to be able to predict how mine will end. But my recruiter seems pretty confident that I should be fine, but I am not so sure I can trust her. But this is the story that has led me here today. Hopefully, I will have an opportunity to achieve my goal and continue to interact with the great people that make up this site.

PT
Pushups: 70
Situps: 75
2 mile: 15:07
(Still have work to do and will never not have work to do)
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction: Kevin

Post by Jim »

Welcome Kevin, if you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. Most questions have been addressed. Use the search feature, located at the top right of this page. Good strong PT baseline. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Kevin.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
dawekl
Egg

Post by dawekl »

Hey there, just checking in and sadly I do not have much to report. I finally made a second trip to MEPS today for a consult for my waiver. The consult was a pretty bogus doctors assessment in my opinion. They did an X-Ray on my shoulder, even though you would need an MRI to check the status of my previous labrum surgery. Then the doctor did a few resistance tests that in no way could determine the dexterity of my shoulder. And that was that and I walked out of the dirty facility that looked like it needed a lot of repairs and updating. But in the end, consult said everything was fine, so I am not going to complain about the process, just found it odd. I then thought, finally I am good to go. Then the CMO informed me that he now has to send the information to the Army for final approval and I should hear back in 72 hours. Well that is what they told me about setting up my consult and that took a month, so I do not expect to hear back for some time. Now I am at the mercy of an Army doctor who has never met me or seen my shoulder, so that is an eerie feeling. But all I can do is take advantage of the extra time I have to train and hope for the best. I will be sure to report back as soon as I hear anything.

Kevin
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

I'd describe my visit to MEPS, as they took my clothes, put them in a box and played with my Balls. Not a good experience. I hope it got better over time. If you get bored, see Arlo Guthrie' Alice's Restaurant. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
dawekl
Egg

Post by dawekl »

Haha, oh they still do that Ranger Jim, that was done on my first trip to MEPS, my second was just for a consult for my shoulder so I could get a waiver from a previous surgery I had about 5 years ago.
MichaelS
Ranger

Post by MichaelS »

PM sent, dawekl.
A Co, 3/75.
PerryB
Recruiting for the Darkside

Post by PerryB »

Kevin, I hate to bust your dream but if you have a medical waiver it is doubtful you'll get airborne qualified at the meps. The airborne physical is required for enlistment into option 40. The infantry branch and Ranger branch can grant exceptions for airborne and Ranger training but since it is your shoulder I doubt it would get approved. Exceptions are usually granted for vision and allergies.

PerryB
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Kevin, What PerryB is telling you is correct. However there are a lot of other MOSs that are available:

http://www.soc.mil/75th%20Ranger%20Regi ... iting.html
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
dawekl
Egg

Post by dawekl »

I understand that I probably will not be able to get it into my contract. But from what I have read on this site, there is a good chance they will offer me airborne at OSUT if I am putting out 300 PFT scores and then ultimately offer me a chance at RASP. Does this sound correct?
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

That is correct. I have put in guys with some crazy med waivers that didn't allow them to get an airborne physical at MEPS when they joined, but once they were actually in the army they had no issue getting their slot to RASP. It will just come down to how hard you are willing to work for it once you ship.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

That has been the experience of a number of enlistees. Pay particular attention to the link I sent you.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”