When to start talking with a recruiter?

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Lomack27
Tadpole

Re: When to start talking with a recruiter?

Post by Lomack27 »

Mustardseed12 wrote:PerryB, I really appreciate you helping me out.

I'm currently reading Sua Sponte: The Forging of a Modern American Ranger, but when I'm finished with it I will read the book Roberts Ridge.

Roger Ranger Jim, I won't settle for anything less.
Roberts Ridge is a great book, from the civilian standpoint. I'll have to pick up a copy of Forging of a Modern American Ranger and read it, I hadn't heard of it until now.

Thanks,
Lomack27
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Lomack27 wrote:

I'm currently reading Sua Sponte: The Forging of a Modern American Ranger, but when I'm finished with it I will read the book Roberts Ridge.

Roberts Ridge is a great book, from the civilian standpoint. I'll have to pick up a copy of Forging of a Modern American Ranger and read it, I hadn't heard of it until now.

Thanks,
Lomack27
I want both of you to tun!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Bronco
Quitter

Post by Bronco »

Ranger Jim, I don't know what tun means. I tried looking it up, but couldn't find anything that seems related to what you said.
11X OPT 40
SHIP DATE: 20140715

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Lomack27
Tadpole

Post by Lomack27 »

Jim wrote:
Lomack27 wrote:

Thanks,
Lomack27
I want both of you to tun!
Ranger Jim, I also looked it up to no avail. The only meaning I found was "a large quantity".

Thanks,
Lomack27
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Typographic error on my part. The word is run. I'm pushing.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Every time I see a short word that doesn't make sense in a post I bring up the keyboard and look at the letters around it.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
Lomack27
Tadpole

Post by Lomack27 »

Jim wrote:Typographic error on my part. The word is run. I'm pushing.
Roger that Ranger Jim. Run I will in two weeks, Meanwhile I have been biking a few miles every day just to keep my cardio up.

Thanks,
Lomack27
Bronco
Quitter

Post by Bronco »

Roger that Ranger Jim. I just finished a workout for track.
11X OPT 40

Bronco
Quitter

Post by Bronco »

Rangers, I just got back from the recruiters office and turned in the basic enlistment packet. Once he saw that everything was completed he just told me a little bit about what the next step is and the different routes I can take.

He asked me if I was interested in doing the 14 month program and I told him that is the route I want to take, so then he went on to ask if my parents were ok with allowing me to join at seventeen. I told him they rather me go to college first, but they will support me in whatever I decide to do. So now my job is to get my parents to come with me to the recruiters office and convince them to possibly allow me to enlist at seventeen. I also wanted to let you guys know that the 14 month program for high school juniors is currently open.

The recruiter also asked me what I was interested in doing and I told him 11x option 40. He said he could get me an option 4, but at seventeen I can't get an option 40 (I told him that seventeen year olds could get one, but he kind of disregarded what I said).

I told him about this forum and he said something along the lines of the website probably has a lot of guys who were once in the Army, but not actual Rangers and claim they are. I got a little mad, but didn't say anything else about it and moved on to another topic.

As of right now, I'm going to talk to my parents a lot about enlisting while still a junior and hopefully they will finally understand and allow me to enlist sometime soon. In addition to that, I'm working on memorizing The Ranger Creed, working out, and studying for the ASVAB.
11X OPT 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Take your time and get it done right the first time. As you have another full school year, you have time to read and ensure you understand as much as possible. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Give me your recruiters name and number in a PM and I will call him and tell him all about how I got an opt. 40 at 17.

That being said, there aren't really any 11x Opt. 40's out there, but that has nothing to do with you being 17. I hate it when recruiters give bullshit explanations when they could just as easily tell the truth or admit they don't know the answer but will find it (like an NCO is supposed to do).
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Bronco
Quitter

Post by Bronco »

Rangers and others, I was just wondering if you could give me some of your personal advice about the 14 month senior program (I would enlist now as a junior and be in DEP until I graduate high school in May of 2014). I'm not sure if I should wait a little bit longer to join DEP or if I should join now; my parents don't see the point of joining so early.
11X OPT 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Mustardseed12 wrote:Rangers and others, I was just wondering if you could give me some of your personal advice about the 14 month senior program (I would enlist now as a junior and be in DEP until I graduate high school in May of 2014). I'm not sure if I should wait a little bit longer to join DEP or if I should join now; my parents don't see the point of joining so early.
If you can get a ranger slot. Take it.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Bronco
Quitter

Post by Bronco »

Ranger Jim, I'm a little confused. Is there any way to check for 11x Option 40's at the recruiter station? I thought you could only look at contracts at MEPS and in order to go to MEPS and get a contract I would need to be in DEP?
11X OPT 40

Lomack27
Tadpole

Post by Lomack27 »

Mustardseed12 wrote:Ranger Jim, I'm a little confused. Is there any way to check for 11x Option 40's at the recruiter station? I thought you could only look at contracts at MEPS and in order to go to MEPS and get a contract I would need to be in DEP?
Yes, they can check and see if there are any slots available. If there are then they can reserve you a slot a MEPS, IIRC.

Thanks,
Lomack27

Return to “Recruitment Process”