Marines’ new alcohol policy strictest in U.S. military

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

The Marine Corps‘ new on-duty standard for drinking alcohol is so strict that less than one drink at lunch would trigger a “positive” and get a warrior in hot water.
The Washington Times reported earlier this week that the Corps sent a Dec. 12 message to commanders officially beginning mandatory breath tests for all 197,000 Marines twice each year.
A reading of just .01 percent subjects a Marine to counseling. A Marine who registers a .04 must be examined by medical staff for fitness for duty.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... z2Fn1Fn9tA
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Marines’ new alcohol policy strictest in U.S. military

Post by Jim »

Another micro-management exercise that takes away from the Commanders and leaders perogatives. Jesus wept!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

I am so glad that those who crossed the Delaware, wearing the equivalent of a t-shirt and shorts, and then fought the battle of Trenton were alcohol free. Ditto for those guys in the Alamo who felt like they had just opened up a "yard sale" sign, on a Saturday morning outside of El Paso. The same goes for those Marines watching the US Navy sail away, as they were up to their armpits in Japanese.

That alcohol will make you a terrible soldier.

I think guns will too. We should get rid of all those assault rifles too.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

In no service is it all right to drink on duty (dining in/out not withstanding).

I am a non-drinker and I have actually been told by superiors that they don't trust my leadership skills because I don't drink.

The Military culture of alcohol has always been fast and binge. Alcohol/drug treatment and counseling has always been lacking and ridiculed. With a stigma assigned to people that don't drink and also assigned to those that seek treatment what else can the military do to lower alcohol related incidents on and off duty?

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

We do a breathalyzer during every random urinalysis and have for years on Lewis at least.

And drunk on duty has always been .05 BAC as far back as I remember.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Alcohol is beyond a serious problem in the military. As someone who has to remind themselves "it is work tomorrow, don't drink." I should ought to know, drinking isn't a solution, it is a quick fix. I have known many great men to drink more often than I should admit. But for someone who has said to me overseas "This is fine, if I only had a beer" I do not recall.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

ManchuV wrote:I remember years ago if a soldier wanted to buy liquor on post he went to the Class Six. The Class Six was not open 24/7. Now liquor and wine are sold both in the PX and the Shoppette, and most Shoppetts are open 24/7. Even in a state like TX where the state law forbids selling alcohol past a certain time a person with access to get on base can get their alcohol at the shoppette (Lackland AFB) any time. A lot of these Soldiers/Marines are coming back with PTSD and other problems. I do not know the statistics on alcoholism in the military, but I would not be surprise it is high.

ManchuV
Duly noted. Now why is this an issue in 2012 and was not an issue ever before in history? So the military has only recently developed this alcohol problem and no other fighting force in the history of fighting forces has ever had issues with booze?

Holy fuck cover all the sharp corners and electrical outlets, someone could fucking hurt themselves. :roll:
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

TC204 wrote:Who the hell needs to drink on lunch break? If someone can't wait till after work they have serious issues.
Back in my time when I was in the 82nd many times we would be on Lock-Down - ready to go where-ever-the-hell (NASA fired a rocket) or Uncle Sam needed us. My Squad was lucky to be on 1st floor in the back. We'd tie sheets together and lower one of us out to run around the corner to the enlisted mans club to purchase 7 quarts of beer & we'd store the bottles in the 8th mans foot-locker that no one was occupying. Never got caught. But that was the old days.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

So, ManchuV, what I hear you saying is this is an issue of negative publicity coming from drunken Soldiers and not an issue of our society becoming a bunch of whiny douchecanoes who cannot police themselves up and require constant supervision lest they fall down and get a booboo.

Somebody get me a drink. :evil:
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

ManchuV wrote:
mortar_guy78 wrote:So, ManchuV, what I hear you saying is this is an issue of negative publicity coming from drunken Soldiers and not an issue of our society becoming a bunch of whiny douchecanoes who cannot police themselves up and require constant supervision lest they fall down and get a booboo.

Somebody get me a drink. :evil:
No I was not saying that. What I was saying was that there a lot of alcoholics in the military. In the military, we suppose to be better than our civilian counterparts. They are the ones who look at us as being DISCIPLINED, and being a Ranger was even a higher standard.
TRUTH

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.

Return to “The News Dump”