Son QUIT RASP!

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

SilentService
USN Veteran

Son QUIT RASP!

Post by SilentService »

So he was in RASP, the Cole Range week and then on Saturday the 1st we received a garbled voice mail from him, he sounded so sad and despondent…”I quit, it was pure hell about 60 others quit”

All of us were absolutely shocked, while we have no frame of reference with what these young men go through, we have never know our son to quit.

So we shared incredulous looks amongst the family, talked about our disbelief and then started rallying around to better help with his disappointment when he called back, IF he called back.

We all went over what we will say to him to help ease his pain (as if words could at this early point), but as a family we knew he needed our positive voices and love.

This was his dream, he had worked for over a year to get ready, and he LOVES what the Rangers stand for. He would be so so crestfallen.

A few hours later my mobile phone rang, this was it, I steeled myself. The young man on the other end was about to confess to something he had never done before, he was about to say “Dad I quit”. I was prepared, I knew in my heart that just reaching for something as special as the Ranger RASP tryout and failing is no stigma. Trying out for any elite program either military or civilian is an amazing accomplishment that so very few people has the courage to even try let alone succeed is special and to fail carries no disgrace to those with understanding of such a commitment.

The phone chirped for a second time, I was ready, the words poised…

I pushed “accept”, “Richie, I am so so sorry about what happened, we are all so proud of you”

Him: “what?”

Dad:”you must be pretty sad right now, but you did it, you tried”

Him: “what are you talking about”

Dad:”you quit”

Him:”quit!!!! Oh my god #$&* NO I DID NOT QUIT!!!”

Dad: “but your voicemail”

Him:”noooo, I said I DIDN’T quit but like 60 others did”

So we laughed and laughed, he admitted that he didn’t get to roast marshmallows and that while I joked that it sounded like a camping trip he said it was hell on earth and is beyond explanation of the degree of difficulty.

So this week is the final week of phase one, he seemed very confident about his chances now that he has passed Cole range. He continues to live his dream with a strong family supporting him.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Son QUIT RASP!

Post by Jim »

I'm sure that was a relief.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

You're a very understanding father and it's obvious you love your son and support him. He's lucky to have you. If, for some reason he DOES quit later or should fail just tell him that being a Ranger isn't for everyone, that's why there are so few of them.

Send him our best wishes.....then tell him to do pushups! :wink:
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

How did you unburn all of his possessions? That must have been hard.

I kid, I kid.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
RangersNana
Rangers Nana

Post by RangersNana »

Praying for your son,my grandson is now with the 2nd batt. at Fort Lewis he graduated in Oct.and now wears that beloved Tan Beret.
Your son will make it! If he wants it this bad he will do it!! Best wishes and God bless!!!
RLTW
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

You could always tell him what I told one of my Mentees.....son, if you quit I'll fuck you up so bad that not even your Mama will recognise you! It seemed to be a good motivator.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Slowpoke wrote:You could always tell him what I told one of my Mentees.....son, if you quit I'll fuck you up so bad that not even your Mama will recognise you! It seemed to be a good motivator.
Can't argue with success.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
SilentService
USN Veteran

Post by SilentService »

he doesnt respond well to threats, for him I simply say "when you are dead tired and ready to quit just look at the guy on your right and say "YES he is better than me" and then stand up on drop out"

surprisingly he responded with a growl of "HELL NO I will never say that".

regardless, he still has this week of phase one to go so my fingers are crossed for him.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

SilentService wrote: regardless, he still has this week of phase one to go so my fingers are crossed for him.
Well, it's Wednesday!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
SilentService
USN Veteran

Post by SilentService »

and now the update is that he has passed Phase I! we are all so proud of him (hahaha who isnt of their children)

Phase II seems to be more tactical based from his explanations and apparently most of the folks that will drop have dropped out. he said they will lose a few to failing the timed run and I think something else. all in all though he is VERY psyched and is looking forward to starting his military career inside the battalions guidance.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

SilentService wrote:and now the update is that he has passed Phase I! we are all so proud of him (hahaha who isnt of their children)

Phase II seems to be more tactical based from his explanations and apparently most of the folks that will drop have dropped out. he said they will lose a few to failing the timed run and I think something else. all in all though he is VERY psyched and is looking forward to starting his military career inside the battalions guidance.
When your son graduates will you be changing your name to ScreamingService now ongoing?
When he gets home sometime down the road, ask him to recite the Ranger Creed for the family.
I've seen young Rangers (at one of our reunions) proudly, loudly, reciting the Ranger Creed in unison.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
SilentService
USN Veteran

Post by SilentService »

I would definitely scream if you tried to get me out of a plane.

Ha we did at thanksgiving, he was very shy at first, said it didnt feel right, then he started and it flowed right out of him.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

A few years ago one of our Ranger brothers was on a flight (I think to Iraq) and he said he was sweating bad. Another passenger asked, "Is this your 1st flight?" Ranger said, "No, this is my 18th but will be 1st time I land in one."
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4

Return to “The Mosh Pit”