Introduction- Devon

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Devon
Egg

Introduction- Devon

Post by Devon »

Hello, my name is Devon and I'm a 17 year old high school student working to join the Rangers. I'm currently not in DEP, but hope to enlist on my 18th birthday with option 40 on my contract, this coming year I'll be going into my second year of JROTC. Any and all advice will be met with a closed mouth and open ears. Thank you.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction- Devon

Post by Jim »

Welcome. Read all the FAQs, as well as selected stickies and threads. Please self administer a PT test and post your scores on this thread. Tell us more about yourself; do you play sports, where do you live, why do you want to become a Ranger. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Introduction- Devon

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Devon
Egg

Post by Devon »

Tell us more about yourself; do you play sports, where do you live, why do you want to become a Ranger.
I live in Cincinnati, Ohio and am attending a vocational school for the Veterinary Assistant program. I'm currently working on an every day program to improve my PT scores, my JROTC class conducted a valid Army PT test with the local recruiters and I was one of six people that passed, but I don't remember the scores too well, I will get a self test done soon though and post the results. I don't play sports, but I am on the Raider Team for said JROTC class, which consists of obstacle courses, land nav, and PT tests. As for why I want to become a Ranger, it's because I want to be the best at what I do. I was originally planning on joining just the regular infantry, but I figured that if I'm going to be infantry, why not be the best infantry? That was about a year ago, and now here I am :D. My ultimate military career goal is Delta.
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Introduction- Devon

Post by IEDmagnet »

The regular Infantry huh?

Welcome.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Devon wrote:
Tell us more about yourself; do you play sports, where do you live, why do you want to become a Ranger.
I live in Cincinnati, Ohio and am attending a vocational school for the Veterinary Assistant program. I'm currently working on an every day program to improve my PT scores, my JROTC class conducted a valid Army PT test with the local recruiters and I was one of six people that passed, but I don't remember the scores too well, I will get a self test done soon though and post the results. I don't play sports, but I am on the Raider Team for said JROTC class, which consists of obstacle courses, land nav, and PT tests. As for why I want to become a Ranger, it's because I want to be the best at what I do. I was originally planning on joining just the regular infantry, but I figured that if I'm going to be infantry, why not be the best infantry? That was about a year ago, and now here I am :D. My ultimate military career goal is Delta.
You are 17 years old. You have a long life ahead of you. Take a look at the Ranger Regiment recruiting requirements. You are training to be a Vet Tech. Why not think about using your education to blend in.
http://www.soc.mil/75th%20Ranger%20Regi ... iting.html
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Delta, you say? Never heard of it.. If you refer to what I think you do, that is a very long way away, indeed. I only know of one, just one person who made it to the position you speak of, and I worked with some of the finest soldiers I have ever met. These were men who, literally, were (and still are, in some cases) on TV shows, in movies, and books about being the best of the best. Men who excelled at what they did in every way. Your goal is admirable, but I think a excessive, for right now. Life has a funny way of throwing you curve-balls. I'm not saying it isn't possible, just that you have some hefty odds against you.

I was once told not to strive for perfection, for perfection is unattainable. Instead, strive for excellence. A famous chef once wrote that he doesn't want the guy working for him right out of Johnson & Wales who thinks he is going to be the next Bobby Flay or Mario Battali. No, he wants the guy who will show up for work on time, do what he is told, clean up after himself, and put out a consistent product. If you do that well, the recognition & position will eventually come.

Good luck with it.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Devon
Egg

Post by Devon »

To be honest Ranger Jim, the only reason I'm at a vocational school is because it offered a better education in the core subjects, (math, science, etc.) than my original high school, and the only reason why I'm in the veterinary assistant program is because I like animals, it was just a way of securing a way to pay for college before I found out I wanted to go military. I've never actually wanted a medical career (much to the dismay of my parents). Ranger Sleepy Doc, I think you're right in what you thought I was referring to (1st SFOD-D), and I do agree that I'm jumping the gun on it, I'm not even in the military yet, but I'm already thinking past getting into one of the most elite units in the world. I'll slow down and take this one step at a time. As I re-read this message I kind of get the impression that I'm giving you two a retort, but I just want to say that I don't mean it that way at all, I sincerely thank you both for your advice and have taken it to heart.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Devon, whatever you want to do with your life, is your decision. If you truly want to serve in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We tke considerable pride in the fine young men who pass through ArmyRanger.com on their life journey. Please self-administer a PT test and post the results on this thread. Never, never quit.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “Introduction Archive”