Ranger School on a 68W contract with no incentives?

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
METTCAbide
Embryo

Ranger School on a 68W contract with no incentives?

Post by METTCAbide »

Hello Rangers and all,

As stated in my introductory post, I was a cadet who completed three years of college with experience in nursing. I lost my scholarship and contract by putting in a request to change scholarship types from nursing to a line scholarship. I had a choice to pay all the costs of schooling that the Army paid for or to enlist to make up the costs. I chose to enlist and I go to basic in September. I am already Airborne qualified, scored a 96 on the ASVAB, and score 300+ on APFT - just saying to show current qualifications.

I have a 68W contract with NO incentives, which I was told ruled me out of any additional schools. I asked the recruiters, talked to my old ROTC cadre, and scoured the internet and have found answers that were either vague or conflicted on whether I can get into Ranger School. I was wondering if a contract with no incentives means I am blocked from RS?

I very much would like to go to RS and would be disappointed if I cannot until I reenlist, but I do feel like I got the best outcome of this situation. I do not want anyone to think that I've tried playing the system with ROTC and the Army or that I have a false sense of entitlement.
Leadership is solving problems. The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help or concluded you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership.
Colin Powell
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Ranger School on a 68W contract with no incentives?

Post by Jim »

On the other hand, after you are in AIT at Fort Sam you ought to have a visit from the Ranger Regiment LNO. Be prepared to tell him why you are qualified.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
METTCAbide
Embryo

Post by METTCAbide »

Ranger Zone,

I was aware that it was possible for the leadership of one's unit to send them to Ranger School, but I was informed by a recruiter when he received a memo that I would receive no incentives-including the GI Bill, which I was led to believe meant that I could not possibly go ever. I had asked him even after I get to my unit and he said he did not believe it possible. I apologize if this was unclear. I did try to check a great many sources on the internet before I posted.
Leadership is solving problems. The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help or concluded you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership.
Colin Powell
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Your recruiter is retarded.

If I were you, I would put in to go to RASP while in AIT.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
METTCAbide
Embryo

Post by METTCAbide »

Thank you Rangers Zone and Goon, I plan to hit the ground running and bust ass when I get in at Basic and especially AIT. When I get first word of an opportunity to get to RASP from AIT, I will jump on it, but being the best that I can be at AIT will be my main focus.

Again, thank you for your advice and guidance, I will keep you updated after Basic.
Colin Powell
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Pay attention to what Ranger Goon175 says. But you need to prepare yourself with excellent PT scores.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Recruitment Process”