Decided on Opt40, now MOS choices.

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
jq39
Embryo

Decided on Opt40, now MOS choices.

Post by jq39 »

Hello Rangers and everyone else.

I have recently gone to my local recruiting office and told them I want to do 11x Option 40. To my great surprise they had no idea what an option 40 was but thats neither here nor there. They want me to go do testing at my local NG armory which I have no idea what that testing is going to be. They also said that they will do a 1037 (I think thats what it is) to run my security clearance. However, this scares me a little bit as I had my record sealed due to an incident that happened while I was in 2nd grade. WIth that stated here is my first question:

1.) Would this keep me from the secret clearance that I need even though it was so long ago? (I did hear from a Navy guy that they only go 10 years back)

Now that is my most important question to you guys. Now for the other questions (MOS related). I have been going back and forth between 3 possible ones that sound like I would enjoy doing. My first choice is going 11x. Being a guy my size (6'1" 230lbs basically all muscle I played football as a Strong Safety so I am a decent athelete) I am sure they would probably put me with a 249 or 240b which I have no problem with. Last night I did a bit of searching up on 68w which would go perfectly with what I want to be when I eventually get out (want to be an EMT either in ambulance or the helicopter here they are called Life Flight) and I have taken Sports Med courses in college. Also during my research I found out about 35m which seems pretty awesome (and if I went 35m I would want to reclass to 35L when I hit E-4). So, next round of questions:

2.) As a 11x, what could a guy my size expect? My brother who is in the Army right now has told me that a guy my size would most likely carry a 249 or 240.

3.) As a 68w with Opt 40 what would my main task be? Would I be hitting the ground with what ever unit I am with? (Ranger or not). My brother and father have expressed concerns that my main duties would be checking someones junk looking to see if it is infected or not and things of that nature (I do understand anything in the medical field has this part).

4.) As 35m what would I be doing? I understand interrogation and all of that, but with a Ranger tab, would I be seeing combat?

I understand that Opt40 does not mean I will be apart of any of the Bn's in the 75th.

Sorry for it being alot and the seemingly ignorant questions these are just things that I cannot seem to get a clear answer on at all.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Decided on Opt40, now MOS choices.

Post by Jim »

Thank you for coming to our website. If you want to earn your place in the 75th Ranger Reginent, read al the FAQs, sticikies and selective threads. You are all over the map. Let me ask some questions,, how are you, where do you linve, why do you want to join the 75th Ranger regiment? you came into a site that takes gerat pride in the young nen who earn their place in the 75th Ranger Regiment!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
jq39
Embryo

Post by jq39 »

Hello Ranger Jim. I know I am all over the map which is why I came here to hopefully see the pros and cons of everything.

I would say I'm good. I am at the point in my life where I would say I need to break off from things and start doing my own thing. I live in Pensacola Florida. I would love to join the 75th because I have always admired them. I know the 75th is highly respected, and those guys are some of the best the Army has to offer and I want to be among them. I have always striven to be the best at everything I do, and I know that no matter where life takes me after the Army I will always have great pride in the fact that I earned the tab and even served with some great men and/or women.

edit: I have posted in the introduction section I apologize for jumping the gun and having a lack of common courtesy. :oops:
PerryB
Recruiting for the Darkside

Post by PerryB »

You have to list all of your law violations no matter when they occurred. It doesn't matter if the records were sealed or not. As long as you didn't commit a felony in the 2nd grade you should be able to get a security clearance. It is very difficult to get a option 40 with MOS 35M. At my meps I have only seen option 40 with the MOSs 11X, 92Y, 92G, 25B, and every once in awhile 68W. The accession command does not get ever RASP school seat so I would say it is a safe bet that the Intel MOSs get selected during or after their AIT. Good Luck and like the Rangers on this site will tell you, "NEVER QUIT".

Perry
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

they would probably put me with a 249 or 240b which I have no problem with.
Not necessarily. Regiment has lots of big guys. As an 11b you will more than likely carry everything at a Ranger's disposal during the course of your time in Regiment. Nobody really cares how big or little you are, you are a Ranger either way.
Last night I did a bit of searching up on 68w which would go perfectly with what I want to be when I eventually get out (want to be an EMT either in ambulance or the helicopter here they are called Life Flight)
You will be an NREMT-B by the end of 68W AIT, and you will be an NREMT-P plus some other cool stuff by the end of SOCM.
Also during my research I found out about 35m which seems pretty awesome (and if I went 35m I would want to reclass to 35L when I hit E-4).
So you are going to learn a job and then change it right after you get to batt.? That doesn't make much sense to me.
As a 11x, what could a guy my size expect? My brother who is in the Army right now has told me that a guy my size would most likely carry a 249 or 240.
Being an 11B in Regiment has very little in common with an 11B in the big army. You can expect to be a part of the premiere special operations direct action raid force, and go out night after night doing bad things to bad people.
As a 68w with Opt 40 what would my main task be? Would I be hitting the ground with what ever unit I am with? (Ranger or not). My brother and father have expressed concerns that my main duties would be checking someones junk looking to see if it is infected or not and things of that nature (I do understand anything in the medical field has this part).
Your main task will be being a Ranger Medic. You will do everything from assaulting targets, fixing guys up on target under fire, and yes checking guys' junk back in the rear after they slept with some chick and now it burns when they piss.
As 35m what would I be doing? I understand interrogation and all of that, but with a Ranger tab, would I be seeing combat?
You will occasionaly go on target with the assault force. A Ranger Tab has nothing to do with your actual job in the Regiment (especially as a 35M), you are expected to earn it though as that is the Ranger standard.
I understand that Opt40 does not mean I will be apart of any of the Bn's in the 75th.
An opt. 40 guarantee's that you will have the chance to attend RASP. If you pass RASP you will be assigned to one of the 4 battalions in the 75th Ranger Regiment. If you do not pass, you will be sent to the big army some where.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
jq39
Embryo

Post by jq39 »

Thank you Ranger goon175 and Perry.
And yes with the 35m re-classing to 35l once I am E-4 I suppose really does not make any sense. During my readings on the MOS's I thought it would be logical if I re-classed to 35l from being 35m, perhaps doing it once I hit E-4 really would not be the smartest decision. As Perry said "It is very difficult to get a option 40 with MOS 35m", it sort of narrows down to 11x and 68w. As with any medic job in the military I figured the down side would be checking why it burns when guys take a piss. I was actually going for a PJ contract with the USAF for awhile, then I found out about opt.40.
Thanks again Rangers, finally got some good straight answers.
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

As a current 35L, I can tell you there were several 35Ms in my CISAC class. Big Army is currently talking about downsizing the 35M MOS (there is a lot of political infighting in the MI world about it, but that's neither here nor there). There's not a whole lot of future in 35M, so a lot of them are jumping ship and reclassing to they can make E-7.

Bottom line is, 35L is open to all MOS's. If an 11C can get in, anyone can, so if it's something you're interested in down the line you can do it.

That's my .02
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
jq39
Embryo

Post by jq39 »

Ranger mortar_guy78 thank you for such a clear answer. You all have been very helpful in clearing up much of my confusion with all of this. I may not try to re-class to 35L soon as I make E-4, but it is definitely something I want to try. With the answers both you and Ranger goon175 have given I have decided to rule out 35M.

I will call my recruiter on monday, set up the testing at the NG armory next thursday which will hopefully start talk towards my security clearance and if there are any 68W or 11X with Opt.40's available. I am aware that all the contracts may have been snagged by now, so if I have to wait till the beginning of the fiscal year it is something I am willing to do. My biggest concern now is security clearance.

Thanks again Rangers, you all have been a major help.

Return to “Recruitment Process”