Introduction - Kamber

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Kamber
Paratrooper

Introduction - Kamber

Post by Kamber »

Rangers,

I previously posted an introduction, however it seems to have since disappeared (I suspect during the "server hiccups" that took place not too long ago). For that reason, I'm re-posting a short introduction as to comply with the rules of this message board. Link to Google Cached Original Introduction Post

My name is Jason. I'm 19 years old, and currently a student at Rutgers University.

I am extremely grateful to all the Rangers and individuals responsible for generously providing myself, as well as other interested persons, with the wealth of information made available via this website, as well as their service to our great nation.

I've been wanting to enlist in the Army since graduating high school, and have been lurking on this forum for about 2 years now. At the time of my original post, I was deciding between enlisting now, or after finishing my degree. I have since decided, after carefully considering the consequences of either route, that I would like to pursue an enlistment sooner rather than later. Each decision has it's own set of advantages and disadvantages, but I believe it's the best choice possible choice for my situation.

I'm currently seeking to enlist as an 11X /w Option 40 or at least 11X /w Option 4.

Since my original introduction, I've conducted a 1/1/1 PT test, administered by with a friend of mine who was an 11B that ETS'd in November of 2011. My scores are as follows:

PU: 42
SU: 27
1-Mile: 7:57

I'm aware that those numbers are no-where near where they should be, and I'm fully committed on bringing them up to par and confident that I'll be at where I should be prior to shipping. I will be re-evaluating my PT every 2 weeks, so I'll update this post with a full 2/2/2 APFT /w chin-ups in 2 weeks time.

Thank you for your time, Rangers.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction - Kamber

Post by Steadfast »

Welcome back Kamber. Yeah we lost some of our posts, glad you reposted. Any other posts you may have made make again.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Introduction - Kamber

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome here, Kamber.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Looking forward to you obtaining your 11X, Option 40. Keep us informed. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Kamber
Paratrooper

Post by Kamber »

Thank you, Ranger Jim.

Rangers, I have an update.

On Wednesday morning, I got a call from my recruiter informing me that he called the ROC as he does every other day for me, and had some bad news for me. He spoke to his guy at Ft. Hamilton MEPS, a Mr. Sherman, who regrettably informed him that 11x was now closed out for the rest of FY2012, and that I wouldn't be able to obtain that contract unless someone currently with a reservation or in the DEP dropped their contract. He also told my recruiter that there would be no more Option 4's or Option 40's for FY2012. I was quite disheartened to hear this, but not surprised. My recruiter merely called to inform me of this, saying he just wanted to let me know. I thanked him for his update and asked for some time to think. I told him I would stop by the station later that afternoon once I finished class.

At first, I doubted the true validity of the statements Mr. Sherman provided to my recruiter; are combat MOS' really being closed out this early in the year? Would the allocation of FY2012 Option 40 and Option 4's already be depleted, even though not many have been on the system this year (a loose guess-timation on my part, just judging by how many aspiring future soldiers have acquired one and posted about it on this website)? It was then that I remembered that while at the station 2-3 days before receiving that phone call, another recruiter who was in the office mentioned to the rest of the station, quite surprised, that he found out "they" just "closed out 11x to applicants with less than a 50 AFQT". In hindsight, this logically foreshadowed the closing out of all 11x in the near future to all applicants, as it seems to have been filling up. There was also that combat MOS contract drought for the past few months. As for the Option 4's and Option 40's not being available for the duration of FY2012, I didn't know what to believe, but I did know this; the Army is filling their recruiting quotas no problem, why offer bonuses/incentives if the numbers are already more than adding up. While I can't see Option 40's and Option 4's being done away with completely like the College Loan Repayment Program, etc., they'll probably be even MORE few and far in-between than in previous years.

All this considered, coupled with the current status quo being "You need the Army, more than the Army needs you", I decided that I better reconsider the reality of my situation. I was originally planning on holding out until I finish my semester in May to see if any Option 40 or Option 4 contracts surfaced, but holding out until FY2013 just isn't something I'm looking forward to doing.

After much internal deliberation, I decided to take an 18x contract. I head up to MEPS on Wednesday of next week to sign on the dotted line and take the oath. My ship date is 20121023. As multiple Rangers have told me; I truly feel it's time to get after it and make my own luck. Patience is indeed a virtue, but sitting around for up possibly up to another year to join the Army and wait another few months in the DEP just doesn't seem like a smart decision to make for myself, especially with nothing to suggest that recruiting supply/demand will be any different (or possibly even worse) by then. It might be the most round-a-bout way yet, but I'm going to try at every possible point throughout OSUT and Airborne School to acquire a RASP slot. I don't know if it's even possible with my contract, but I havn't been shown that it's impossible; the chance of making it to Regiment is worth the risk. Hopefully, there will be a way. If not, then I'm fully prepared to give my all to becoming the best SF asset to the Army that I can possibly be. I will never quit.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER
Kamber
Paratrooper

Post by Kamber »

Rangers, I thought it appropriate to give an update as it's been roughly 2 months since I entered the DEP and school has since ended. I'm glad to say that I've seen ample improvement in my PT proficiency.

I conducted a 2/2/2 last Thursday, and the results are as follows
2-Mile: 14:37
PU: 62
SU: 47
CU: 6 (palms facing me)

I know that I still have quite a ways to go before I even get close to a 300 AFPT score, but seeing my progress thus far is extremely motivating. When I first entered the DEP, I couldn't even use all of the allotted time during a 1/1/1 on PU & SU before giving out if doing the repetitions as fast as possible while maintaining strict form.

I also know that being able to ruck well under heavy loads is going to be a key factor to succeeding through SFAS. From what I've read on these boards, the only way to get good at rucking, is to ruck. I started 4 weeks ago with a 30lb pack at a 15 min/mile pace. I'm currently rucking 3 times a week with 45lb pack at a 14 min/mile pace, two 4 milers and one 8 miler.

My target goals to reach before I ship for OSUT are to be able to score a 280+ on the APFT and ruck with a 45lb pack at a 12 min/mile pace for 10 miles.

Additionally, I'm very lucky and thankful that one of the recruiters at my station was able to liason with the local ROTC Cadre and take me out to their land navigation course. He instructed me on the fundamentals of land naving and showed me the proper uses of the tools involved. I'm eager to make it out there a few more times this Summer, as admittedly, I definitely need more practice with it. I know it will be taught to me during OSUT and again at SOPC, but familiarizing myself and honing my skills as much as possible now cannot hurt.

Although my target destination is no longer the 75th Ranger Regiment, I have time and time again found this forum to be a profoundly useful tool in educating myself on how to prepare for the challenges that await me come this October. Thank you again to all the Rangers and previous DEP's for making this wealth of information available to us future soldiers. I will continue to stay focused on improving my PT scores and ruck times; hopefully I'll have excellent results to post later this Summer!

I will never accept defeat. I will never quit.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER
Kamber
Paratrooper

Post by Kamber »

Roger, Ranger Lunch. I'll be getting in touch with him.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Kamber, recently your acct went De-activated because of changes you made in your profile. At that time a link was emailed to you email addy. When you press the link sent you it will re-activate your acct.

If you still have trouble, re-register with a 2 after your name and we can get together and get your old acct activated once again.

Your 18x contact will help get you a mentor on this site.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Kamber
Paratrooper

Post by Kamber »

Roger, Ranger Steadfast. Thank you for the assistance. I have established communication with Dc22x will be continuously exchanging methods of preparation/training strategies for the long road ahead of us.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Return to “Introduction Archive”