College while in Rangers

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Mattwillwin
Embryo

College while in Rangers

Post by Mattwillwin »

Hello Rangers, I would like to ask a question education in the army. I understand that the Army offers it's own college programs for soldiers seeking to further their education. What I would like to know is that would I be able to attend college classes in the Ranger Regiment. I know the Rangers deploy often and don't a great amount of time on their hands but it would be good to know in advance so I can decide if I should go to college after I'm done with the Army.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Re: College while in Rangers

Post by K.Ingraham »

No.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Mattwillwin
Embryo

Post by Mattwillwin »

Thank you, Ranger Ingraham.
Grifter
Ranger

Post by Grifter »

While I was in, my Batt. was pushing college classes at the education center on post. I registered for 2 and I remember attending classes occasionally and very INfrequently, on the random occasion when we made it back from the field in time. I did receive scores in both of the classes I took. However, I was unable to transfer them from that center to my college of choice back home when I got out.
Jan 00-Dec 03
1/75th C-2 / HHC SNOT.
OEF/OIF
RS Class 06-01
Black to Tan Change-over Ranger
MI Glenn English Base of USARA
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

I have a Ranger buddy at Regiment right now who is doing it, but he is paying the price in lack of sleep and family time. It all boils down to how dedicated you are to achieving higher education. Unless you are a rock-star I would plan on doing it before you enlist and then have the Army pay off your college loans for you. The Army was here before you and will be here after you. We're getting along fine without you now. If you want to serve, we'd love to have you, but there's no point feeling like you 'missed out on something' or 'the Army fucked you.' If you want an education then make that your priority - the Army will still be there after you earn your degree.
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Most guys knock out online classes while deployed, as the training cycle is much too busy and free time too valuable to sacrifice on homework. I got a few of my gen ed classed done while on deployments, mostly because I did not know what major I wanted yet. As far as the college loan repayment, only a few MOS's are coming with that option right now (army is getting stingy with money).
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Mattwillwin
Embryo

Post by Mattwillwin »

Thanks for all the advice Rangers. I do think my education is important but becoming a Ranger is 1st on my list. I heard from my AI at my high school that you were more likely to get promoted with some college so that is another reason I would like the courses.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”