Opt. 40 update

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
goon175
Ranger

Opt. 40 update

Post by goon175 »

There were 92G and 92A on the system today coming with opt.'s 4 and 40. Just FYI for those looking.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
goon175
Ranger

Re: Opt. 40 update

Post by goon175 »

Ok, this is from an e-mail I recieved today. Apparently combat arms jobs are going to be hard to come by, much less with cool guy options. According to this message they want recruiters to push applicants with an "adventerous" spirit to take the support jobs that are coming with options 4 and 40. And of course, 18x is usually not an issue to get (from my experience anyway).
***COMBAT ARMS: We are rapidly meeting our combat arms MOS precision requirements for FY12 and further combat arms placement will be extremely hard to come by. For those highly motivated candidates seeking a combat arms MOS lets push them into MOSs that are available with OPT 4 or 40.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
toro77
Embryo

Post by toro77 »

Ranger Goon175, I'm 34 years old and I'm in the process of joining the army and I turn 35 April 21st of this year. I told my recruiter I was interested in 11x with an option 40. He stated that because of the time frame we have before I turned 35, he couldn't guarantee me the option to pick my mos. Plus he said that there where not offering any option 40's!!!
I did some research and found out that it was much easier to obtain an option 40 at the beginning of the year. Is this true?
Any advise is well appreciated, Thnks!!!
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

toro77 wrote:Ranger Goon175, I'm 34 years old and I'm in the process of joining the army and I turn 35 April 21st of this year. I told my recruiter I was interested in 11x with an option 40. He stated that because of the time frame we have before I turned 35, he couldn't guarantee me the option to pick my mos. Plus he said that there where not offering any option 40's!!!
I did some research and found out that it was much easier to obtain an option 40 at the beginning of the year. Is this true?
Any advise is well appreciated, Thnks!!!
Toro77, your next entry ought to be in the introduction section. Remember, you are a guest. Pleaswe do not abuse our hospitality.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
toro77
Embryo

Post by toro77 »

Jim I apologize for the mistake, thank you!!!
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

You need to read the rules of the site and address RANGER Jim as such. It's not that he needs reminding of who he is and the great things he has done, but rather prepares you and puts you in the proper military mind set. Just one more favor that this forum does for guys like you.....

To answer your question, you are always afforded the opportunity to pick your MOS when enlisting in the Army, you just have to pick from what is available. Time is not on your side as far as holding out for the specific job and option you want though. If you hold out till the last minute, and then get what you want, go up to MEPS to join, and due to your advanced age the doc requests a consult during your physical, now you can't join because your 35th birthday comes before the consult date. All stuff for you to think about, I don't care what you do one way or another, but just realize you don't have the same manuevering ability some of our younger members can enjoy.
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
toro77
Embryo

Post by toro77 »

Ranger goon175 thank you for your advise. I know that my age could be a factor compare to a young soldier, who as well is trying to join the army and become a ranger or any type of sf soldier. I've been pushing myself mentally, physically to the limit in order to prepare for what's coming ahead. Never been in better shape not even in my 20's that I'm now. So ill be giving thoes young soldiers a run for their money. Once more thank you Ranger goon175.

And Ranger Jim I apologize for any misunderstanding didn't mean any disrespect.
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

I'm not saying you can't keep up with the young guys, I'm saying you can't play the waiting game on the right contract because you are about to be ineligible to join.
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
toro77
Embryo

Post by toro77 »

I totally agree with you Ranger goon175.
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

TEN 68W OPT. 40'S AVAILABLE AS OF RIGHT NOW. This is nationwide, so I don't think they will last long.
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

It seems as though the 11x hiring freeze may have been broken, there were 47 11x contracts on the system this morning, they came with no options, but these are the first 11x's in quite some time.
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

There was 11x opt. 40's out there today, FYI. This was the first I have seen of them in a very long time.
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

As of the time of the time of this post, there are 22 11x opt. 40's on the system, for those interested.
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010

Return to “Recruitment Process”