SITREP

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
JTEL1
Future Soldier / Opt40

SITREP

Post by JTEL1 »

Rangers,

On my holiday block leave now, enjoying the bit of time away from Sand hill I've been afforded with family and freinds. Anyways, I wanted to drop a line about my expieriences in OSUT thus far and try to keep you all updated with my progress. Overall OSUT has been a priceless expierience for me..deffinently a broad spectrum of good times and frustrating times, but none of them I would trade for anything. The Basic Training portion of OSUT was pretty much what I had anticipated going in...a fast paced, generalized system used to introduce and teach a mass amount of civilians the ropes of the military/Army. The first 8 weeks fuckin blew past, but I still absorbed a solid base of knowledge that prep'd me for the remainder of my training in AIT. AIT has been a 180 turn around in comparison to the first 8 weeks, in terms of how detailed the training is. When I go back in a week or so, the only training we have left to complete is FTX, then its off to Airborne in the beginning of February. The PT during OSUT was alot weaker than I had expected going in, I was dissapointed with how much PT time was taken away from us in order to fit in different training events and meet different time hacks we were put under due to poor planning...you deffinently have to put in the extra work whenever you have free time at the range, on personal time and on the weekends when you have down time.

My advice i would give to anyone getting ready to leave for OSUT would be the following:

-pick and choose who you surround yourself with (always keep your goal in mind, it's easy to get caught up in the infinite amount of immaturity and horseplay that surrounds you..dont let it bring you down)

- take advantage of any down time you have to do extra PT (you can do pushups, situps, flutter kicks, etc. pretty much anywhere and almost anytime)

- try to always lead by example, not by your mouth...you'll see alot of "talking but no walking" in OSUT

- most importantly make the extra effort to absorb info i.e. ask questions, read your warrior skills book, ranger handbook, ask your drill sargeant if he has any literature he can bring in you can read (my drill sargeant brought in about 10 different books for us to read ranging from small unit tactics to arabic immersion books).

Anyway thats my two cents on it so far...I understand that I have so far to go, but i enjoyed reading other peoples experiences and "letters from school" on here before i left so i figured i'd drop a line about it for any future private interested. OSUT will be what you make out of it, you know what your goals are so do what you need to do to set yourself up for that next step.

Thanks, Jtel1
Mentee of Ranger Mingo Kane
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Re: SITREP

Post by Slowpoke »

Good sitrep young soldier, keep up the good work!

And don't quit!
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Good way to pay it forward and well written.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Runna22
Inprocessing

Post by Runna22 »

I am also on Exodus from OSUT, I shipped 1101. Everything JTEL1 is saying is 100% correct. Stay away from the privates who have the Call of Duty mentality, and listen and learn from your Drill Sgt.'s as much as you possibly can. It's their duty to make you the best infantryman possible.
RASP class 06-12
2/75

Mentee to Ranger HakweeRgr
Mingo Kane
Ranger

Post by Mingo Kane »

You have done well thus far, you listened and applied that knowledge...carry on and do the same in Airborne School. All down time should be utilized towards maintaining the physical standards. Sorry I missed you over the Holidays, good luck and continue to drive on...One event equals one evolution.
B Co. 1st/75th 1983-86
Mentor to JTEL1
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Good SITREP. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
JTEL1
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by JTEL1 »

Rangers, sorry im a little behind on this sitrep for this "evolution", of my training, as Mingo puts it. I officially turned blue as of 03 FEB 2012 and have inprocessed into A co. at Airborne school. It's a big relief to finally get away from OSUT and regain a sense of freedom. So far airborne school has been a breeze, i can't wait to get these next two weeks out the way and knock out these 5 jumps i have ahead of me! I'll admit I am nervous/scared to go out the the bird..but it is what it is and i know it has to be done for me to get one step closer to the big league down the road. Aside from that, My down time has been filled with alot of PT, I've been running alot at night aswell as going to the Audie Murphy Gym to get some crossfit workouts in (badass gym btw). Its motivating to be so close to starting RASP, and just being so close to actual regiment itself. Everytime I see a Ranger walking down the street or something with that Tan beret and scroll, it always pumps me up and gives me my motivation to go hit the gym that evening. Anywhos, I don't want to ramble on too lon., I'll check back in a a couple of weeks after I earn my wings!
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Again, good SITREP. Looking forward to your next report. Never, never quit.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

While at Airborne School take the time to study quitters. They are very dependent on others and cannot seem to make their choice alone. Learn their tactics, but do not subscribe to them. This will help inoculate you to their effects when you are in RASP and life seems to be at its worst. Keep us updated and Good luck. Airborne School is the easy part.
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
Ndog275
Ranger

Post by Ndog275 »

GoldCoast wrote:While at Airborne School take the time to study quitters. They are very dependent on others and cannot seem to make their choice alone. Learn their tactics, but do not subscribe to them. This will help inoculate you to their effects when you are in RASP and life seems to be at its worst. Keep us updated and Good luck. Airborne School is the easy part.

x2.

Feet and knees together. Don't quit.
A 1/75 93-97
B&HHC 2/75 97-99
RS 3,4&5-95

This mighty soldier on the eve of the war he waged
Told his troops of lessons learned from battles fought.
"May your heart grow bolder like an iron-clad brigade"
Said this leader to his outnumbered lot.

www.75thrra.com
www.tacticaltailor.com
JTEL1
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by JTEL1 »

Rangers, Im proud to report back to the forum no longer a damn leg! Got my 5 jumps under my belt in two days time earlier this week and had the pleasure of graduating with A co. 1/507 PIR Class 11.12 this morning at 1130. Jumping was one of the greateset experiences of my life thus far, if not the greatest! I've never had a rush that intense in my life, nor have i had such a huge relief as i did when that first four thousand count was over and my canopy opened! Walking out to the bird the for the first time is something i'll never forget, i was even lucky enough to have the first one out of a c-17...lol. As far as the task at hand, the group i'm with will be picked up this tuesday and process into pre-rasp. I think our class is due to start sometime at the tail end of March, hopefully. Rumor has it that Discovery channel will be filming our class for a episode of " Surviving the Cut", i guess i'll find out in due time. Anyways, im as motivated as ever and ready to step up to the plate, only thing left to do is to do it!

-Jtel1
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Congratulations Paratrooper!

You have now earned the right to pick your own avatar or use one located in tactical.

We'll be waiting on your next sitrep.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Good SITREP. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

SITREP

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Good Sitrep, Paratrooper . . . Now continue your mission.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776

Return to “Letters from School”