Squad Leader

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
phrozenone
Tadpole

Squad Leader

Post by phrozenone »

Rangers,

Luck is when preparation meets opportunity......, Im sure you all know this already...cutting to the point, I am anticipating being placed a squad leader at some point in OSUT, (probably due to either rank, age or PT scores, presence, etc..), do you guys have any advice or reading material that I could use to prepare me for this task?, I know a little bit already because of ROTC but Im just looking to refresh my memory and prepare myself the best way possible.
Ship date: 20111011
phrozenone
Tadpole

Re: Squad Leader

Post by phrozenone »

I guess what im trying to say is I'm focusing on improving my leadership skills/ability more specifically, and was just wondering if any on you, know of any good books, media, etc. on the topic.

Thanks
phrozenone
Tadpole

Post by phrozenone »

Roger that on the "you guys" stuff Ranger ZoneIV. Ive added to my intro. As far as leadership goes, I definitely wasnt not bad leader, but I wasnt a great one either I suppose, I shouldve "known my stuff more" and not relied on my personality, demeanor, and physical abilities to carry me along. I think that was my biggest mistake. Well aside from my grades which is the overall reason I was siting across from the PMS signing dis-enrollment papers.

and Ranger Zonk 1/75 I will definitely watch leadership as closely as possible when I get in.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

phrozenone wrote:Roger that on the "you guys" stuff Ranger ZoneIV. Ive added to my intro. As far as leadership goes, I definitely wasnt not bad leader, but I wasnt a great one either I suppose, I shouldve "known my stuff more" and not relied on my personality, demeanor, and physical abilities to carry me along. I think that was my biggest mistake. Well aside from my grades which is the overall reason I was siting across from the PMS signing dis-enrollment papers.

and Ranger Zonk 1/75 I will definitely watch leadership as closely as possible when I get in.
There are some here who work within the system still. As a matter of fact some of us even work at ROTC. The fact of the matter is, In order for you to get stripped of your scholarship you had to achieve some fairly dismal results. Often the failing of a semester usually results in academic probation for a scholarship Cadet. The fact that your GPA was high enough to stay in school after you got BOOTED from ROTC tells me that there was more to the equation than merely failing grades!

With all that said, regardless of who you ask a person will normally think they are "good" or "adequate." It is not very often that a normal person would respond to a query of their effectiveness as a leader with "I was horrible and I did not deserve to be in a leadership position".

Now for some positive advice. If you quit making excuses and over-selling yourself I will back off and allow you to exist quietly here.

Bottom line....Be quiet and read.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"

Return to “Recruitment Process”