Retaking ASVAB

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Treadstone71
Embryo

Retaking ASVAB

Post by Treadstone71 »

My recruiter is being a total douchebag; he does not want/let me retake the ASVAB. He said to me if he does that he would be in big big trouble and that so would I. I scored a 57 on AFQT and 102 on GT. Since I passed he can not let me take it solely for the purpose of raising my GT, because, that would be "fraudulent enlistment!". What should I do is there any way of retaking the ASVAB without my recruiter getting into trouble?
"What outfit is this?" "5th Rangers!" "Well then Goddammit, Rangers, lead the way!"

"Never give up!" "Never surrender!" "To infinite and beyond!"
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Re: Retaking ASVAB

Post by K.Ingraham »

the recruiter might just be following the rules he is given - a concept that you must understand and adopt.

There are ASVAB study guides one can use to prepare and preparation is key in this journey.

I don't know this for sure, but I recall that one can reshoot the asvab after six months, so if so, use the time to get in better shape.
And then again, you might just not be bright enough to meet the standard. It happens, and your recruiter is a career NCO who just might be a good judge of character and quality.

Think "Navy".
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

He is full of shit. You can retake it at a later date. 6 months I believe.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

I believe I have already posted this, but I do not feel like searching for the link.

If you score over a 50 AFQT, they are not allowed to schedule a retest. This is a MEPCOM policy, not Army, or the recruiter being a D-bag. I have tried on 3 different occasions to get exceptions, all three times I was pointed to the MEPCOM policy. If you want the specific reg, search for the post I have already posted.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Treadstone71
Embryo

Post by Treadstone71 »

I get it Rangers, I'll just wait for my ASVAB score to expire next year so I can retest. Thank you Rangers for replying.
"What outfit is this?" "5th Rangers!" "Well then Goddammit, Rangers, lead the way!"

goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

2 years is what you'll be waiting.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Treadstone71
Embryo

Post by Treadstone71 »

No Ranger Goon. I'll be waiting about 1 year. I took the ASVAb back in 2010 on September 21st on a Wednesday. It's about to be 1 year and only 1 more year to go.

goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

If I was your recruiter, I'd tell you to go talk to another branch.
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Since it has been almost a year and you say you want it bad, your PT score must be right up around 300 points.
If not, "Think Navy"
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’

Return to “Recruitment Process”