pyschiatric evaluation/waiver

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
iggy
Embryo

pyschiatric evaluation/waiver

Post by iggy »

Does anyone know where I can find any information on how, when, and where I need to get an evaluation that MEPS will approve? Can my own psychiatrist do this or do I need to have it done at MEPS. When I was there yesterday they said they didn't have a psychiatrist present and I am not sure what im suppose to do now.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: pyschiatric evaluation/waiver

Post by Steadfast »

You mean after 18 posts you decided to ask this question?
Can my own psychiatrist do this or do I need to have it done at MEPS.
:roll:

RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
iggy
Embryo

Post by iggy »

I wasn't suppose to need an evaluation. I didn't know I needed one until yesterday at MEPS. If I had known I would have prepared before wasting an entire day there.
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Iggy, even though you may be unbalanced, I think they want you to appear stable before entering the Army. With that in mind, a letter from your Shrink detailing how squared away your head is....on his "letter-head" paper....couldn't hurt. However, I'm pretty sure they are going to want their own evaluation which should be coordinated through your recruiter, or some phone calls from YOU to MEPS if your Recruiter is lame!

Keep the letter from your personal Shrink confidential unless they ask for it or tell you they'll need one!
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
iggy
Embryo

Post by iggy »

I'm sorry Ranger Steadfast and Ranger ZoneIV, I totally spaced.

Thank you Ranger Slowpoke for the helpful response.
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

The MEPS will automatically schedule a consult for you. This sometimes takes a couple weeks, but your recruiter should notify you as soon as it is scheduled.

Out of curiosity, what legal background do you have that made this situation occur? They don't just pull this shit out of there asses....
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
iggy
Embryo

Post by iggy »

Ranger Goon175, I am embarrassed to say but, I had a rather stressful high school career and I've got scars on my arm from it. They saw these and it didn't turn out so well. I am not highly unstable and hope I can prove that to the medical field at MEPS.
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

iggy, uuuhhhh, if you thought high school was stressful then what are you going to do in Ranger Batt ? I can guarantee that it will re-define stressful.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
iggy
Embryo

Post by iggy »

Flesh Thorn wrote:iggy, uuuhhhh, if you thought high school was stressful then what are you going to do in Ranger Batt ? I can guarantee that it will re-define stressful.

Ranger Flesh Thorn, I'm sure (because I can't know) your right. I've gotten older, I've toughened up, and when I get to ranger batt, and basic before that, I will toughen up more, power through it, and prove that I know what it means to never give up. In high school I was lost and didn't know what I wanted, I turned to drugs and lost control. I quickly figured out what I wanted after a lucky graduation and now I'm determined. It sucks to know I've made this whole process even harder for myself but I know I can overcome any obstacle.
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

If that is the story behind it, the process may have went from "hard" to "impossible". Hate to burst your bubble, but you may have rough news ahead. Good luck to you, but I would start thinking of back up plans if I were you.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
iggy
Embryo

Post by iggy »

Ranger Goon175, I am enrolled in college for this fall, hoping I could join the military instead. I have back up plans, I'm still determined to join the military no matter what. I may just have to go to college for a few years and try again after.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

iggy wrote: I may just have to go to college for a few years and try again after.
Count on it. Make yourself a proven commodity so you'll have a chance of getting any waivers you might need. Consider each and every quiz in school & every days at whatever jobs you hold as 'interviews' for your enlistment.
Elite selection courses are structured to expose any residual issues you might have. That first post about raising stress to "new levels" is an understatement. Being unpopular in HS rates second to the death penalty for making a tactical error.
This doesn't mean that you wouldn't be able to hold some "soft-skill" job in the USAF or something.
Thank you for trying to serve & good luck.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’

Return to “Recruitment Process”