Why did you choose to be an Army Ranger?

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
iggy
Embryo

Why did you choose to be an Army Ranger?

Post by iggy »

Hello Rangers.
My name is Matt, I am 19 years old and just graduated high school. I am going to join the Army and become a Ranger. I have not had the chance to talk to anyone in the Army, other than my recruiter, so I greatly appreciate all of you Rangers putting so much easily accessible information about what lies ahead of me on this site.

My question is simple: When you decided to become an Army Ranger what was it about being a Ranger that made you know it was for you?

To any and all of the Rangers on this site that spend their time reading and/or responding to this post I thank you for your time.
Worldweaver
Ranger

Re: Why did you choose to be an Army Ranger?

Post by Worldweaver »

I knew when I discovered that I could read...that I probably should post an introduction instead of bouncing my happy ass over to the Recruitment page and asking dumb ass questions.

Welcome to the Site!!

Post an Introduction please.
Go Tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie.
--Simonides

Bco. 1/75 2006-2010
RS 06-08
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

intro posted.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

I honestly did tons of research all through high school, as I was and still am the type of person who does extensive research before making a major decision. I knew I wanted to be in some sort of high speed unit, so I read every book out there on every special operations unit in the U.S. Military. I also registered on the old airborneranger.com and did alot of reading on there. My uncle was a Navy SEAL in Vietnam (yeah yeah yeah i know....but he actualy was one, i swear!), so I grew up hearing his stories. But after all my research I guess what really drew me to the Rangers was the fact that they were the only "entry-level" special operations unit out there whose sole mission was to do direct action-type missions. I wanted to be the guy who was going after America's worst enemies. All the other units I researched had a different purpose or had additional missions other than DA, and to me it seemed like I may end up doing one of those other jobs, not what I wanted to do, if I went one of the other challening routes.

I firmly believe that what unit you aspire to be in depends entirely on your personality and the type of work you want to do. It should have nothing to do with how cool you think said unit is or hard you think there training is. Because you honestly don't know shit about either until you get there.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
iggy
Embryo

Post by iggy »

Thank you Rangers, I am doing my fair share of researching and very much appreciate hearing the reasons for why you chose to become a Ranger.

Return to “Recruitment Process”