History of the M16

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Parabellum
Ranger

History of the M16

Post by Parabellum »

Here is a little history about the best assault rifle ever made. I got wrote this off the top of my head so if there is mistakes or if I left something out just add to it.

In the mid 50's after the Korean War the military was looking for a new rifle. That was capable of full automatic fire and had a higher magazine capacity. The miltary was trying to get away from the sub machinegun phase and issue an all around weapon. A man by the name of Eugene Stoner designed the AR-15 which later became the M-16. His design was unique because one he didn't use the same type of round, he went for a smaller and lighter version. Also the use of wood was replaced with light weight plastics. Something that was totally new and futuristic. Of course there was alot of shit about this, the "old school" guys didn't like the idea of change and right off the bat thought that the 5.56MM was weak, because it was a smaller round and plastic can break easier than wood. The powers that be wanted to go with the M-14. Because it had the standard 7.62MM round and the stock was made of wood. Also Springfield the company that built the M-14 would take its demonstration soldiers and have them constantly train on full auto. Knowing full well that the regular infantryman would not be able to hit shit on auto with such a big round.

In 1959 when the AR-15 design was sold to Colt Firearms, Stoner still stayed around and helped out with it's growing pains. At one point when both the M-14 and the AR-15 where taken out for testing. The AR-15 was being sabotaged. When Stoner found out about this he flew out to where the tests where being conducted and fixed the weapons himself. But the military still went with the M-14. The Chief of Staff of the Airforce at the time bought the idea of the AR-15 and ordered 20,000 for the Air Force.

When the M-14 was fielded in Vietnam the military realized the the rifle was too big and heavy for jungle fighting. Also you can only carry 110 rounds of 7.62MM instead of the 210 rounds of 5.56MM. This was the big break for the AR-15. The contract of the M-14 was pulled and replaced by the AR-15. The AR-15 re-named the M-16A1 was sent to war. But it was agian plagued with problems. For some reason everyone thought it was a self cleaning rifle, so now one cleaned it in turn it rarely worked which lead to the death of many soldiers. The weapon was then agian quickly revamped and more modifications where made to it. There was three elements that contributed to weapon problems besides lack of care. The chamber and barrel needed to be chrome plated to prevent rusting. The propellent used in the bullet was shitty and caused more carbon build up than normal and a heavier buffer was needed to slow the rate of fire down. Other changes where made to further improve the function of the weapon, a forward assist, a birdcage suppressor to reduce muzzle flash and climb, a hole in the buttstock for a cleaning kit and new cleaning kits.

After the initial problems where worked out the weapon has been extremely successful. Look...it's basic design is still being used to today, M16A2, M-16A3, M-4. It is the mark of the American Soldier.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
VAK
USAF Veteran

Post by VAK »

And my armorer guru, during my time the Air Force's weapon of choice for it's TAC-P's was the GAU-5 or the shortened barrelled AR-15 with a collapsable stock. Very close to today's M-4 but without the removable handgrip and there was no addition of the rail system. Optic's such as the Aimpoint were still being experimented with and not yet issued, certainly not to those who'se function it was to be calling CAS.

Though I am still a believer in the M-60, I thought the addition of the SAW was a Godsend to the military. Certainly taking some of the heat out of that multiplicity in ammo argument.

Outstanding post again, H8. One day I am going to buy you all the beer you can drink for these reminder's of history. Though I would like to see one of our LRRP's post on this. My Pop's went to RVN with an M-14 and having shot plenty, they do shoot sweet. (I am not giving up my little baby M-4, but I love the feel of an M-14).

Good Post,
usaftacp

BTW, you make me proud as hell.
"Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
(Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe)

Mentor to those who would seek to be CAS God's
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

Your are definately right about the M-14 it is a great rifle. If you like the SAW's you should see the new ones that we are getting. They are made by H&K.

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

I loved my little black plastic rifle. Although the Marines much maligned the little gun, I had only one malfunction in a years use, a broken extractor spring. We all carried three spares taped to the stock, so with a little work, I was back in business. At the distances we fired at (I never fired at anything 50 meters away), I found it VERY effective. I have heard some complaints from younger troops, from the sandbox, about it's stopping power at greater distances (over 150 meters). But, in the jungle, it had all the stopping power I needed.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

I'll add another interesting tidbit.

The powder used for the military ammo had small amounts of calcium carbonate in it to neutralize the acid in the powder, and allow for long shelf-life of manufactured ammunition.

The calcium carbonate reacted with the moisture, and caused a lacquer-like buildup which greatly contributed to many early problems.
13R2P B BTRY (TAB), 26th FA (ABN), 18th FA BDE (1984-1988)
11C (4.2" Mortar) CSC 2/124INF, FLARNG (1988-1989)
VAK
USAF Veteran

Post by VAK »

bberkley wrote:I'll add another interesting tidbit.

The powder used for the military ammo had small amounts of calcium carbonate in it to neutralize the acid in the powder, and allow for long shelf-life of manufactured ammunition.

The calcium carbonate reacted with the moisture, and caused a lacquer-like buildup which greatly contributed to many early problems.
Amazing what you learn here... This too I didn't know, what replaced the calcium carbonate to allow for a long shelf life? Is there something that would cause a similar build up now?

Be Safe,
usaftacp
"Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
(Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe)

Mentor to those who would seek to be CAS God's
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Many guys in my unit preferred & had the AR-15. I would say close to 85 -90% of the guys had the AR-15. I used the M-16, One of the newer models. My saftey was as smooth and quiet as you would want it. Like Slowpoke, I never fired it more than 50 meters and extemely close. I found my 16 to be very effective in putting the enemy down. And when they were in a row, you were sure to get a few. Heck, I have even shot down trees 4.5 - 5 inches wide to made a PZ in a hurry. I had the same weapon nearly 11 months with out any trouble and I fired it plenty. After all I did in fact stake my life on my M-16 and it paid dividends for me by returning me to my loved ones.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

usaftacp wrote:
bberkley wrote:I'll add another interesting tidbit.

Amazing what you learn here... This too I didn't know, what replaced the calcium carbonate to allow for a long shelf life? Is there something that would cause a similar build up now?

Be Safe,
usaftacp
No brother, In the late 70's when the started the development of the M-16A2 FN designed a new grain which aloud better ballistics, range and accuracy. That is why A1 ammo and A2 ammo is totally different. Also there is 2 different zero targets for both types of ammo. I'm am not a chemist and can't tell you what is in it but that ammo has been around for 20 plus years.

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Gutlisswundr
Ranger

Post by Gutlisswundr »

Not to hijack the thread but I have a few questions on the new HK mx8 that i believe has been shelved for the time being, but could replace the m-16 and m-4 rifle series. Why can't they just come up with a new upper for the m-4 that uses the same type of gas pusher and piston rod the mx8 uses? You think it would be cheaper to do this with all the spare parts that are in all the armories(lower reciever parts, barrels, etc) than go to a whole new rifle. I don't like the idea we could give a weapons contract to a company in a country that didn't give us any support for Iraq. Yeah it will be made in the U.S. but fuck those kraut bastards. Gut.
B co. 1/75 98-01
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

I think I have seen uppers like you are describing. Also, the AR 180 has an operating system like that.

I hadn't heard that the XM8 was shelved, but only the OICW because of the 20mm grenades didn't work. The new M8 carbine is (or was)going to be manufactured at the new HK plant near Columbus, Georgia .
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

Most of that shit probably won't be fielded for quite some time. The reason...because soldiers say it is a piece of shit.

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Here is a post with a link on 5.56mm Ammunition http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=414
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

usaftacp wrote:

Be Safe,
usaftacp
The original formula had 1% calcium carbonate, and they replaced it with .25%.
13R2P B BTRY (TAB), 26th FA (ABN), 18th FA BDE (1984-1988)
11C (4.2" Mortar) CSC 2/124INF, FLARNG (1988-1989)
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Re: semi old post, but a ? for the vietnam vets

Post by Flesh Thorn »

coyotekiller wrote:I saw that Ranger H8 Train had a little info on Mr Stoner and I have heard his name a few times before. My ? is on a gun that my dad speaks foundly of when he served in vietnam. I know he was a UDT, but thats about it. From the description he gives me it sounds like a very early version of the m249. He said that they alwasy called these guns stoners and that they had a detachible plactic mag. that when they were out they could just toss. If anyone has any info on this gun I would would like to know more about it.
Thank you
Coyotekiller
CK, Do a google search on Stoner 63.
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Return to “The Mosh Pit”