New Type of Commander May Avoid Katrina-Like Chaos

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

New Type of Commander May Avoid Katrina-Like Chaos

Post by Flesh Thorn »

PETERSON AIR FORCE BASE, Colo. -- The Defense Department is grooming a new type of commander to coordinate the military response to domestic disasters, hoping to save lives by avoiding some of the chaos that plagued the Hurricane Katrina rescue effort.

The officers, called dual-status commanders, would be able to lead both active-duty and National Guard troops -- a power that requires special training and authority because of legal restrictions on the use of the armed forces on U.S. soil.

No one commander had that authority in the aftermath of Katrina, and military and civilian experts say the lack of coordination contributed to the nightmarish delays, duplications and gaps in the huge rescue effort.

Read More
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: New Type of Commander May Avoid Katrina-Like Chaos

Post by Jim »

This is another step in the integration of the "Total Force." Recently, DoD changed the ARNG and USAR from being a Strategic force to an Operational force. Don't know the impact at this time, but it is a major change in how we do business.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Someone has to run the FEMA concentration centers. :D
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

The only chaos created by the Katrina situation was having a totally fucked up mayor, not using his own emergency plan (what... we need bus drivers for our evacuation buses?) and then having a fucked up governor who waited too long to call in the Federal government.

It seems like this new policy may remove the power of a state governor to be the one to ask for Federal help. It seems to remove yet another obstacle in dismantling the Constitution and Federalism.

But hey... what the fuck do I know?
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

rgrokelley wrote:
I understand that you are pretty savvy with a Brown Bess. :)
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

Weidert wrote:
rgrokelley wrote:The only chaos created by the Katrina situation was having a totally fucked up mayor, not using his own emergency plan (what... we need bus drivers for our evacuation buses?) and then having a fucked up governor who waited too long to call in the Federal government.

It seems like this new policy may remove the power of a state governor to be the one to ask for Federal help. It seems to remove yet another obstacle in dismantling the Constitution and Federalism.

You make a good point rgrokelley, at first just reading the article I didn't really think of the actual consequences of having one commander. But if the Governor calls in for Federal aid for whatever situation he's ultimately giving authority for them to clean up the mess correct?
I also think that having a shit ton of people not evacuate when they were told to really complicated things. Not to mention the idiots rioting, looting and trying to shoot at the rescue helicopters.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Rangerguru wrote:I also think that having a shit ton of people not evacuate when they were told to really complicated things. Not to mention the idiots rioting, looting and trying to shoot at the rescue helicopters.
Did you notice how little rioting, looting and shootin at helicopters has been associated with the flooding along the Mississippi River? Location, location, location.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

Jim wrote:
Rangerguru wrote:I also think that having a shit ton of people not evacuate when they were told to really complicated things. Not to mention the idiots rioting, looting and trying to shoot at the rescue helicopters.
Did you notice how little rioting, looting and shootin at helicopters has been associated with the flooding along the Mississippi River? Location, location, location.
It must have something to do with being upstream. :?
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "

Return to “The News Dump”