Former 2nd Bat Ranger Looses His Mind

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
McD
Ranger

Former 2nd Bat Ranger Looses His Mind

Post by McD »

January 1979, 6'1", 205lb, ETS out of Battalion
April 2009 quits smoking (30+ Years)
January 2011, 6'1", 235lbs, Decides to Get off his ass. 54 years old.
June 2011, 6'1", 190lb, doing 15-20 miles a week. Not fast but 3-4 miles non-stop 4-5 times a week.
Scored in the 80% in AFPT for age in the run.

Not easy.... RLTW
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Former 2nd Bat Ranger Looses His Mind

Post by Jim »

You have achieved a lot, brother. I'm envious.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

I'm awed at your determination...good onya Brother. A friend I served in RVN with got into "Clogging" (if you're not from the South, google it) about ten years ago and now, at 70 years old, is in better shape than he was in Viet Nam.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

McD wrote:doing 15-20 miles a week. Not fast but 3-4 miles non-stop 4-5 times a week.
I have found that I can bump my distance up, but I can not increase my speed. I have tried interval running and other approaches to increasing my running speed, but without much success. I have finally decided to just try to enjoy the fact that I can still run even if it only at a 9-10 min/mile pace. I suppose this isn't all bad as you burn more body fat at a slower pace. I have also found that finding a pair of shoes that fit has became more difficult.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Congratulations McD. I sure need to do the same. Wish I had started at 54!!
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Well done brother! I’ve had a bunch of set backs with my ailments but this summer will swim everyday in the sea and start with walking. If I can get rid of my cane and walk faster…..

Keep on going!

RLTW
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Flesh Thorn wrote:
McD wrote:doing 15-20 miles a week. Not fast but 3-4 miles non-stop 4-5 times a week.
I have found that I can bump my distance up, but I can not increase my speed. I have tried interval running and other approaches to increasing my running speed, but without much success. I have finally decided to just try to enjoy the fact that I can still run even if it only at a 9-10 min/mile pace. I suppose this isn't all bad as you burn more body fat at a slower pace. I have also found that finding a pair of shoes that fit has became more difficult.
I am sort of in the same boat and have come to the same conclusion. I don't want it to become a chore so I am just running (my best Forest Gump impression). I bought a pair of Saucony ProGrid Kinvara... I loves these shoes!!!
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

RangerRon wrote:Congratulations McD. I sure need to do the same. Wish I had started at 54!!
Congrats...I guess I'll just wait til I', 54 to start!!! Good on ya stud...really..
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

So, what about knee pain? Don't tell me yours are fine. I tried to get out and run yesterday. I had to hobble (literally) for the first few laps until my body's natural pain relievers finally kicked in. I am nowhere near 4-5 miles at a time yet. I'm walking a mile, joggin a mile, walking a mile, etc. Right now, that's about all my lower back and knees will allow.

Glad you are able to do all that, amigo.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

So when I first hit this board, I weighed 280. I recall some flack I caught when I posted a picture. Hey, round is a shape.

I'm just over 230 right now, and my target is around 220.

I started a couple years ago, & I couldn't run more than a 1/4 mile before I was sucking wind. I changed a couple things, mainly by starting to use a treadmill. It helps to absorb some of the shock of impact, and it helps to keep from unconsciously accelerating and smoking yourself. I started by just walking. I kept a 15 minute mile pace from day one, working on increasing distance/endurance. I started around 2 miles/30 minutes, working up to 4 miles/1 hour over the course of a couple months.

Once I was getting "bored" with that, I started bumping up the speed. I got to the point of "jogging" at about the 13 minute mile mark. Once I got to this point, I picked 3 miles as my distance, then started working on time. This took a while, and earlier this year I finally got to the point where I can do 3 8 minute miles consistently. Now it's just a matter of maintaining consistency, with a goal of running every other day. I am intentionally avoiding increasing frequency or distance, but may bump up speed. Mainly I want to avoid hurting myself and screwing up the progress so far.

All that said, there were a couple of other changes that I think made just as much of a difference.

1st, diet. I was traveling a lot for work, and eating on the road just sucks. I tried to modify my road diet, as well as take advantage of hotel treadmills. Once I stopped traveling so much, things really improved. The wife-beast doesn't cook any pre-packaged foods, and we hardly ever eat out. Avoiding anything white, such as white flour, white sugar, etc. goes a long way. I also stopped drinking anything but water, coffee & beer. Alright, some KO when it was present.

2nd, I stopped sitting. I got a stand-up desk, and use that for most of the day, sitting only occasionally. I only did this a couple months ago, and the difference in how I feel is amazing.

I am in no way the pinnacle of fitness, but I sure do feel a lot better than I did 3 years ago.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Stay Young by Running.

Pic kind of looks like a couple of you FOGs in a two or three years. :)
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Buzz
Ranger

Post by Buzz »

Sounds like you are doing good, congradulations.
2nd squad-1st plt-C 2/75 77-78
RS 4-78

The way I became a Ranger and have earned the small amount of success I have had in life has been mostly due to one quality - determination. Lefty.
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Ranger EarthPig wrote:So, what about knee pain? Don't tell me yours are fine. I tried to get out and run yesterday. I had to hobble (literally) for the first few laps until my body's natural pain relievers finally kicked in. I am nowhere near 4-5 miles at a time yet. I'm walking a mile, joggin a mile, walking a mile, etc. Right now, that's about all my lower back and knees will allow.

Glad you are able to do all that, amigo.

RLTW
EP
Bob, My knees were hurting at the start but I changed up how I was running and it helped a lot. Kind of a barefoot style where I am keep a pretty high cadence and taking a shorter stride. It keeps me on the balls of my feet and off my heel which makes for less stress up through everything. Check out the C25K site. It is a good place to start. I don't/can't run fast (8-9 min mile) but I'm doing 10-15 miles a week. All 3 miler's or more. I kind of enjoy it which is weird because I hated it in when I was in the Bat.... and was never very fast then.
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Bastards. Now you're shaming me into it. Been thinking about getting started all year. Now I might have to.
Went with my mentee last fall and wound up having to take a couple sick days! I should've started off a little slower.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

McD wrote: I kind of enjoy it which is weird because I hated it in when I was in the Bat....
X2 For variety, I also like 6 -12 mile hikes as fast as a pace as I can maintain over national forest trails. A hydration or lumbar pack is usually all the load I carry. It hits my body in a different way than running.
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Return to “About Army Physical Training”