Sitrep- Darren

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
darren
Embryo

Sitrep- Darren

Post by darren »

Hello Rangers. I visited the recruiter yesterday for the first time. I went in mostly to gather any more information on enlisting I may not have learned after countless hours online. I also wanted to check on the availability of an 11x Option 40 contract. My recruiter, as well as all the other ones at the center were telling me to just volunteer during basic to attend RASP. Of course I said no, and made it clear that I was willing to wait out for an Option 40 for as long as it takes. Then they told me they have no way to check on the availability of the contract, only at MEPS which they were in a hurry to schedule me for. Now I am pretty sure with them being recruiters, they have the ability to look up in the system for specific contracts. These recruiters did not even bother and promptly told me they have no way to look it up and I would only find out at MEPS. I did not schedule to go to MEPS and he gave me an Enlistment Data Sheet to fill out then I left. Based on any helpful answers here, should I find a different recruiter?
11x Option 40
Shipdate: 20120117

“Adhere to your purpose and you will soon feel as well as you ever did. On the contrary, if you falter, and give up, you will lose the power of keeping any resolution, and will regret it all your life."
- Abraham Lincoln
hit_it
Paratrooper

Re: Sitrep- Darren

Post by hit_it »

I am very sure that all recruiting stations now have the ability to check job vacancies and make reservations to hold until you go and complete the process to enlist.

However, this has to be done AFTER you take the ASVAB. I don't like that they did not explain it to you, but I don't think you need to find another recruiter......yet.

Tell them you are interested in testing and ask if you can veiw available MOS's after that. If it's there, then grab it. If not....well you can do you.

Don't be afraid to tell them to piss off. They will be alright.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
darren
Embryo

Post by darren »

Roger that, MSG hit_it. Thanks for the help.
11x Option 40

“Adhere to your purpose and you will soon feel as well as you ever did. On the contrary, if you falter, and give up, you will lose the power of keeping any resolution, and will regret it all your life."
- Abraham Lincoln
darren
Embryo

Post by darren »

Good evening Rangers, I am scheduled for MEPS 20110516. I just have a question regarding medical records. Throughout my teen years I have had a broken ankle, sprained wrist and dislocated pinky. None of them required surgery but all of them required me to see a doctor. I told my recruiter this and he said I do not have to bring any medical records since the injuries did not require surgery. So I am just asking for some clarification if I should bother to bring medical records to MEPS with me. Thank you.
11x Option 40

- Abraham Lincoln
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

darren wrote:Good evening Rangers, I am scheduled for MEPS 20110516. I just have a question regarding medical records. Throughout my teen years I have had a broken ankle, sprained wrist and dislocated pinky. None of them required surgery but all of them required me to see a doctor. I told my recruiter this and he said I do not have to bring any medical records since the injuries did not require surgery. So I am just asking for some clarification if I should bother to bring medical records to MEPS with me. Thank you.
I would not, unless you have a reason. If there is a problem, it will be identified and then you can take corrective action.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
darren
Embryo

Post by darren »

Thank you Ranger Jim. I came back from the recruiter's office today to fill out my pre-screening medical paperwork for MEPS. I was told to put down "no" for all of the medical questions despite the fact I did indeed have a dislocated pinky last summer but is fully healed with no problems. Same thing for my fractured ankle which occurred 6 years ago, fully healed, and has no lingering problems. I was basically told to lie about those on the medical paperwork.
Remembering that Integrity was one of the core Army values, I could not bring myself to lie about it and decided to put "yes". I proceeded to obtain medical records for the past injuries to bring along with me to MEPS next week. The only fear I have at this point is if these past injuries would give the MEPS doctors reasons to DQ me. Note that these past injuries do not hinder any mobility or function in their respective areas. I would like to know if any Rangers or other personnel have any insight into this. I may also just be scaring myself and thinking too much of it. Thank you.
11x Option 40

- Abraham Lincoln
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

There are plenty of things that could be said here, but I think "tell the truth about what you see and do" should cover it. Report back with what happens as well as where my phrase came from as soon as you finish MEPS.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

yeah this should be interesting.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
peterk
US Army

Post by peterk »

Sorry if I'm over stepping but Darren, don't think too much about it. Just do what you need to do and if along the way some convincing is needed, do so. I just came back from MEPS and I thought I would get a 2 for my knee on my physical and be unable to obtain an airborne contract but to my surprise was given a 1 even with them knowing my ACL surgery. Like it's been said before, one step at a time so there's no need to be thinking about being DQ'ed already. Although it may be different circumstances, for myself they had to schedule me a xray/ortho consult with a doctor for my knee and I thought it was gonna be bad but ended up to be better than expected. One step at a time.
"I submit to you that if a man has not discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live." Martin Luther King Jr.

RSTB
darren
Embryo

Post by darren »

Thank you MSG hit_it and peterk. I am currently in the hotel contracted by MEPS awaiting my physical and interview tomorrow. Everything went well with my medical records and I scored a 82 on the ASVAB with a 116 GT score. I called my recruiter to see if he can check the availability of an 11x option 40. 11x was available but of course with no Ranger Option. I stuck to my guns and respectfully made clear I would be willing to wait out for one. Once I get to the job counselors tomorrow and an 11x Option 40 is not available, would it be disrespectful to ask if they could call the ROC and check? Thank you for your time Rangers and MSG hit_it, I believe "Tell the truth about what you see and do", is the first sentence of the fourth Standing Rule of Rogers' Rangers.
11x Option 40

- Abraham Lincoln
darren
Embryo

Post by darren »

Rangers, got my 11x Option 40 contract. I just have a couple questions to verify it. Under list of training locations it specifies OSUT for 14 weeks and BAT for 2 weeks and 3 days. Although I understand BAT is Basic Airborne Training, I thought that it was a total of 3 weeks of Airborne School. Also even though Option 40 is listed under my service term, RASP is not listed under the "tentatively scheduled followed training:...". Is this something I should be worried about? I apologize I just may be looking too much into it because obtaining this contract was a lot easier for me than I expected. Again, thank you Rangers and other soldiers who have made this site available and for taking your time to help out future soldiers.
11x Option 40

- Abraham Lincoln
darren
Embryo

Post by darren »

Rangers, my ship date is 20120117. My PT scores are:
2 min Pushups- 81
2 min Situp- 91
Dead Hang Pull-ups- 12
2 mile run- 15:10

APFT score: 270

I understand I need to work on my run time, no excuses. I will make sure I am going to max out my PT score by my ship date by constantly training within the next 7 months and creating my own luck with the proper preparation and right opportunity. Thank you Rangers.
11x Option 40

- Abraham Lincoln

Return to “Recruitment Process”