Introduction

This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Crazyhorse21
Egg

Introduction

Post by Crazyhorse21 »

Here's a some info about me:

I usually go by my last name, pronounced "Gunner" but Mitch is fine too. I enlisted in the USAR while in college, I didn't know much about the Army other than that I wanted to be a part of it. I attended BCT at Ft. Benning, came back and was extremely disappointed with my unit. Not long after I contracted as an SMP Cadet, and did a conditional release into the ARNG. I spent the next two years in a Heavy CAB, in both Infantry and Armor units. I commissioned May 2009 and branched Armor. I Graduated BOLC Jan 2010, and am currently a 1LT serving as a PL in tank company. I'll be deploying this spring in support of OND. The goal is to come back, attend Ranger school and my MCCC residence courses, then apply for Active duty. I realize that AD is not taking a lot of "prior service" right now; all of my contingency plans still include Ranger school.

Ranger school has been a personal goal of mine for some time. My reason for pursuing Ranger school is for personal development. I believe Soldiers deserve good leaders, and Ranger school is the best leadership school we have available. Having been heavy for almost my entire career I realize that my light Infantry skills are probably lacking. As of right now I intend to do a lot more reading than posting. I came to the site primarily to learn from those who have BTDT.

Where I've been:
HHC 367th En Bn 08/2006-05/2007
D Co 1/194 AR 05/2007-12/2008
A Co 1/194 AR (attached from D Co) 12/2008-05/2009
C Co 1/194 AR 05/2009-Present
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction

Post by Jim »

All right, Gunner. It looks like you have found your way to the site you seek. When you deploy with your platoon, you and your platoon sergeant will assume the heavy responsibility to have trained your soldiers for combat. There is no greater privilege than to lead American soldiers in combat. Damn, I envy your youth.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Welcome, I like you attitude. Leading our young soldiers in combat is an awesome responsibility, do it well.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com and thanks for your service to our great country!
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Introduction

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, troop

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

ZoneIV wrote:Welcome to the site DAT (is this term still in use?).
It sure as shit is. :mrgreen: I used it on a daily basis as a Private in 4/64 Armor. Man, I hated that place.

Welcome to the site sir. Branch rivalries aside, it's good to have you here. In the abovementioned unit, the best PL, CO, and BC that I had were all tabbed tankers. Good luck with your goals.
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
Crazyhorse21
Egg

Post by Crazyhorse21 »

Yes, DAT is still in use. Although I'm more likely to hear TWAT right now. (Tanker without a tank) My tanks have done nothing but sat in the motor pool since I was at BOLC. Without getting too much into OPSEC, we're not deploying on tanks or operating at tank platoon strength. I probably won't touch a tank until I'm a CPT.

I've been looking into applying for active duty for awhile now. As I understand it ARNG and USAR Soldiers are considered prior service when they apply for active duty. A friend of mine went off active duty into the reserves for less than 3 months and couldn't get back in. He was considered prior service and they didn't need E5's in his MOS. I do have my CO's and BC's support in this, but they may or may not be enough. It'll take my TAG's signature for me to be released, if the the active component decides they want me. I'm planning to start my non-residence phases of MCCC while I'm overseas, so it would probably be difficult to change branches. The only other one I would consider would be Infantry anyways, which goes to the same course. I don't know that I have the mindset to go to a support MOS. If I can get a slot, I'll attend Pre-Ranger before Ranger school. All ARNG are required to before progressing to Ranger school. It's good to know I'll get spun up prior to starting the main school. I have the drive, I just need to talk my state into paying for it now.
ZoneIV wrote:Welcome to the site DAT (is this term still in use?). I am a little surprise they are deploying tanks for OND at this stage but what the heck do I know. Do your mission, keep your soldiers safe over there and get all of them home in one piece. I wouldn't think you would be classified as "prior service" since you wouldn't have a break of service. You are simply requesting to go on active duty. This said, you are in a branch that has less slots as you go up in rank so it may be a tough get. This is why they do the "detailed combat arms" thing for LTs. Kick ass at the career course, be the best and you may be able to get an opportunity to serve on active duty. Don't worry about your light infantry skills for RS. They will teach you what you need to know when you get there or if you attend Pre-Ranger. Again, welcome to the site.
Crazyhorse21
Egg

Post by Crazyhorse21 »

The goal is to head to the mortar or scout section next. It's on my OER under the Senior Rater comments, so I may have a shot at it. Even if I stayed on as an XO and shot a gunnery that way I wouldn't mind. I'd like to get as much "troop time" as possible before moving on to staff, even if that means staying a 1LT a little longer. I'm fortunate I was able to spend a couple years in a tank company prior to commissioning, I at least got a small amount experience that way.

It sounds like I should do some clarifying. The point I was trying to make, obviously poorly, was that I want to stay with combat arms as long as possible. I realize that the S-shop positions are largely branch immaterial, as well that it's an inevitable part of an Officer's career. It'll probably be like my first field exercise as an LT, when I wasn't allowed to kick down doors anymore. I have nothing against the logies, I just enjoy being combat arms. However, if that's the path I need to go I will certainly look into it. Thanks for the advice sir.

Return to “Introduction Archive”