Introduction

This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

FriedHard
Egg

Introduction

Post by FriedHard »

Hello,

Previous active duty Army, Infantry (11M/11B) in the early/mid 90's. Spent some time in the ROK, and also at Riley. Bounced around the typical rotations of NTC, JRTC, etc. Graduated from the 2ID sniper school, Cheju-do Mountaineering School, and scored an EIB at the DMZ back in '93.

Got out- went through many years of school, and now a GS civilian employee with the Army and PAARNG reenlistment (SGT). Much of that is due to having a studette wife who supports my decision to serve again. For the past few years, I've been keeping physically busy running marathons, occasional Ironman tri's and numerous multi-sport events with a heavy dose of weight training. Plus, I'm an exercise physiologist for the Army.

Anyways- reason I'm here is that I'm due to hit the mountains of Jerhico in a couple months for mountaineering school. I also just found out that my desire to finish some unfinished business (Ranger School) is looking like it is going to work out with a pre-Ranger date in August and then a Ranger school date immediately after (I believe the 11 Sep). All of my squad leaders were G/V's while in, and mentored me in a way that still drives much of my life. So, after searching a lot of places to find information and finding this site, decided to stop lurking and start working (a.k.a- unfook myself).

Glad I found this site- lots of valuable info to be had. Now if I could just settle on a pair of boots- why the eff can't they make it simple like the first time I trained to go through, and only allow all black standard issue? Too many friggin' options for the Gucci's.
"You don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training" - LTC (Ret) Dave Grossman
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction

Post by Jim »

And what unit are you serving with in the PAARNG? Welcome...
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Troop.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
FriedHard
Egg

Post by FriedHard »

Jim wrote:And what unit are you serving with in the PAARNG? Welcome...
Thanks-

Aco 3/103rd up in Sunbury, PA. Good bunch of guys, and some pretty solid NCO's. We've got a good amount of turnover on the horizon, though, due to ETS/RET. Plus, some of these guys are looking at their 3rd and 4th deployments (took us awhile to shift into our AFORGEN cycle). NG is much different than AD, but it's no worse/better- just different.
"You don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training" - LTC (Ret) Dave Grossman
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Welcome Warrior.
Some of us are almost neighbors.

Excellent quote in your tagline, should be a motto of the NCO corps.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

FriedHard wrote:
Jim wrote:And what unit are you serving with in the PAARNG? Welcome...
Thanks-

Aco 3/103rd up in Sunbury, PA. Good bunch of guys, and some pretty solid NCO's. We've got a good amount of turnover on the horizon, though, due to ETS/RET. Plus, some of these guys are looking at their 3rd and 4th deployments (took us awhile to shift into our AFORGEN cycle). NG is much different than AD, but it's no worse/better- just different.
Good unit. Is it still Armor? Had a fair amount of communications with 56th Brigade when they were converting to STRYKER and during their deployment. Maintaining commo with old friends. You are up for deployment soon.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
FriedHard
Egg

Post by FriedHard »

Technically, yes, still AR, but we're in the mix of PAANG getting 100% into the AFORGEN cycle. We're classified as a HBCT.

Yup- deployment is in the works- another reason this is important for me. I want to better myself as a leader, and know that if it hits the fan, I'll have the advanced tools to make sure the objective is met and all my guys make it back.

Ranger Jim- did you know a guy by the last name Arnone while in El Sal? I went through basic in the mid 1990's, and my DI (DS Arnone, SSG at the time) was yelling (er, I mean, "talking respectfully") once about being down there. He was Tabbed, and deployed at some point with the 1st sustainment command. Long shot I realize for it to be someone you knew, but sometimes the circle is pretty close.

Return to “Introduction Archive”