Help with APFT Scores

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
LostintheSauce
Tadpole

Help with APFT Scores

Post by LostintheSauce »

Hello all,

If you read my intro, you would know that I am currently a ROTC cadet at the MS1 level. My best PT test score I had was the one we took in December 2010, so about 3 months ago. These, to the best of my memory, were the scores:

Push Ups: 58
Sit Ups: 71
Run: 15:15

Even I can admit that those are mediocre scores, but I am doing so much better than I was a year ago. I have a large body build. I am 6'5", and weigh 210 pounds. I haven't had the chance to do a recent body fat test, but I would assume that I am approximately lower than 15%.

I want to increase my PT Test scores by a lot, but have no idea where to start. I am looking around the sit and taking bits and pieces and considering whether I should implement them into my workout. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

PS: If you are nice enough to give any tips, please remember that I am in college and participate in ROTC PT three days a week for about 1 1/2 hours.

PS 2: I am taking another PT test this week and will post the results in this thread. I am hoping for about the same scores. I have been sick the last couple days and my workouts have been dismal at best.

Thanks for reading,

Echo Two One
Baseplate
Ranger

Re: Help with APFT Scores

Post by Baseplate »

There is a 50 page thread on the work out of the day where you could start or would you like me to just do the fucking push ups for you
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

You suck at PT = Do more PT
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Post by NeverSayDie »

Three days a week? don't you have voluntary PT session's at your AO? PM me and I'll get you squared away.
Mentee to Ranger K.Ingraham

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"
rgrwest
Ranger

Post by rgrwest »

NeverSayDie wrote:Three days a week? don't you have voluntary PT session's at your AO? PM me and I'll get you squared away.

Froglet, you should go sit in the corner, and play hide and go fuck yourself. You are not exactly the specimen of Physical Prowess with your scores. Let some of the Rangers on the site, help the young man out. Hooah?

A simple Roger, Ranger rgrwest will suffice.
Rgrwest
RC 13-87
C Co, 1-504 PIR, 84-89
B Co, 5th RTB, 89-92
A, 1-501 (ABN), 93-95
C, 2-11 INF (IOBC), 95-98
HHC, 1-509 PIR, 98-02
USASMA, 02- Instructor
OIF I - Feb 03-Jul 03 (Attached OPS SGM)
USASMA, 04 - Student
HHC, 1-30 INF, 3-3 ID, 04-06 (OPS SGM)
OPSGRP, JRTC, 06-07 (TF SGM)
G3, SETAF (Vicenza, Italy) 07-09 (G3 SGM)
NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Post by NeverSayDie »

rgrwest wrote:
NeverSayDie wrote:Three days a week? don't you have voluntary PT session's at your AO? PM me and I'll get you squared away.

Froglet, you should go sit in the corner, and play hide and go fuck yourself. You are not exactly the specimen of Physical Prowess with your scores. Let some of the Rangers on the site, help the young man out. Hooah?

A simple Roger, Ranger rgrwest will suffice.
Roger, Ranger rgrwest.
Mentee to Ranger K.Ingraham

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"
LostintheSauce
Tadpole

Post by LostintheSauce »

Baseplate wrote:There is a 50 page thread on the work out of the day where you could start or would you like me to just do the fucking push ups for you
Ranger Baseplate,

Thanks for pointing it out. I did not notice it before. I will certainly take a look and possibly add some to my workouts.

To all others,

The three days a week exercises are the only mandatory sessions. I do extra PT, usually running on a treadmill (can't wait to get back outside) or doing ab exercises.

The mandatory sessions are the worst for me. We only have an hour and a half so they can only concentrate on certain things. On a normal week, we will have a cardio day, a conditioning day, and interval running day. Again, the length of these workouts do not really help anybody.

I came here looking for some working out tips that can help me improve my scores through my time at ROTC.

Thanks for reading,

Echo Two One
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Echo Two One wrote: I came here looking for some working out tips that can help me improve my scores through my time at ROTC.
Echo Two One
RangerX wrote:You suck at PT = Do more PT
This is a foolproof formula that has been proven time and again since before the Roman Legion.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
LostintheSauce
Tadpole

Post by LostintheSauce »

RangerX,

I will definitely commit that to memory. I have a PT Test in two days. Would you recommend doing a long run (3-5 miles) tonight or the next day?
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

Echo Two One wrote:RangerX,

I will definitely commit that to memory. I have a PT Test in two days. Would you recommend doing a long run (3-5 miles) tonight or the next day?

If you consider a 3-5 mile run long then no wonder your run sucks. 3to 5 miles is an average run. long would be 6+. but if you are going to run do it today
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
LostintheSauce
Tadpole

Post by LostintheSauce »

Ranger Baseplate,

I will run today and try to run at least 6 miles. Should I mostly concentrate on long runs or switch them up with interval runs as well?
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

I am pretty sure there is another way for you to figure this out other than to ask me
hang it, FIRE!!!!

LostintheSauce
Tadpole

Post by LostintheSauce »

The hour and a half are the PT sessions run by the ROTC department. They fill up the hour and a half with short exercises. We will run for a little while, then do some push ups and sit ups and then we will do dips. It sounds good, but the limited time frame makes it almost not worth it.

I currently run inside because of the icy conditions outside. If the weather stays like it has for a couple more days, I will be back to running outside soon.

I have plateaued from ROTC PT. From this point on, only doing that cannot possibly help my scores. I am just looking for advice on the best way to improve my scores outside PT.
rgrwest
Ranger

Post by rgrwest »

Echo Two One wrote:The hour and a half are the PT sessions run by the ROTC department. They fill up the hour and a half with short exercises. We will run for a little while, then do some push ups and sit ups and then we will do dips. It sounds good, but the limited time frame makes it almost not worth it.

I currently run inside because of the icy conditions outside. If the weather stays like it has for a couple more days, I will be back to running outside soon.

I have plateaued from ROTC PT. From this point on, only doing that cannot possibly help my scores. I am just looking for advice on the best way to improve my scores outside PT.

OK, here is the no shit deal. If you are not doing push-ups and sit-ups at every possible opportunity, you're wrong. when you can, jog or run to each location you are heading to (i.e. classes, across campus, etc). When you have the opportunity to actually perform physical exercise, and you are trying to build speed, do interval training (i.e. run fast between light poles, then jog for the next two, and repeat as many times as you can).

All of this is spelled out pretty much of any and all things you could and should be doing instead of typing on here.

Good Luck
Rgrwest
RC 13-87
C Co, 1-504 PIR, 84-89
B Co, 5th RTB, 89-92
A, 1-501 (ABN), 93-95
C, 2-11 INF (IOBC), 95-98
HHC, 1-509 PIR, 98-02
USASMA, 02- Instructor
OIF I - Feb 03-Jul 03 (Attached OPS SGM)
USASMA, 04 - Student
HHC, 1-30 INF, 3-3 ID, 04-06 (OPS SGM)
OPSGRP, JRTC, 06-07 (TF SGM)
G3, SETAF (Vicenza, Italy) 07-09 (G3 SGM)

Return to “About Army Physical Training”