Mario's Introduction

This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

The Holmchicken
Ranger

Re: Mario's Introduction

Post by The Holmchicken »

sinjefe wrote:
The Holmchicken wrote:SFAS in February huh? Guess I'll make a phone call.

He should be careful what he says and who he says it to/around. Taken care of.

Last thing either regiment needs is an arrogant know nothing.

We already have a ton of X-Rays, no need for this guy.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
iMaGiNe
Embryo

Post by iMaGiNe »

Lol... I expected this kind of welcome... its what happens when a puppy walks into the pit of alpha wolves... for those of you who provided advice thank you... i will work my butt off to prove to be worthy of your company... while my military experience is still minimal and without combat experience... all comes with time and i have and will continue to volunteer for everything i can, learn everything i can, and share that knowledge with my fellow soldiers... ill keep you guys updated on my endeavours... thanks for having me here!
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

iMaGiNe wrote:Lol... I expected this kind of welcome... its what happens when a puppy walks into the pit of alpha wolves... for those of you who provided advice thank you... i will work my butt off to prove to be worthy of your company... while my military experience is still minimal and without combat experience... all comes with time and i have and will continue to volunteer for everything i can, learn everything i can, and share that knowledge with my fellow soldiers... ill keep you guys updated on my endeavours... thanks for having me here!
As one of the older Alpha Wolves in this herd, I'd tell you to get a combat tour out of the way before you go off into the world of "operators." You would be amazed at how you would be treated as a "vet," rather than the way you will be treated as a guy who has not done anything.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
iMaGiNe
Embryo

Post by iMaGiNe »

Well this is how I am looking at my situation... I signed a 3 year contract... I do not see myself staying in the Army career unless I make it to SF... I totally understand that combat experience makes a world of difference... but is it really worth the wait? There are enough people that come out of OSUT that get RASP/18X contracts and pass them and make into BAT and an ODA... I went to OSUT with my boy whose last name is "Drake" and from what i hear he is in 3rd Battallion, just having graduated RASP 3 fridays ago... Seeing him make it, and remember all the people from basic that got 18x contracts makes me want to go now... From PRP, I solidified the hunch that I have what it takes to make it physically... and the second part of making it intellectual... i believe everything that is taught i can learn and pickup... and the final part is heart... i wont quit because this is what i want. So is it worth it to wait a year? i already speak a second language fluently, and i know nowadays that means nothing, they will make you learn a 3rd then... but i can be almost done with the SFQC by the time i would return from afghanistan... and finally, i know a good friend in SF and he told me that if you think you are ready, go now... im sure that many veterans went to SFAS and failed, the same place where an 18x off of the street passed... obviously nothing is ever set in stone, but i really cannot see a reason to wait... maybe its the youth/inexperience of me...
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

iMaGiNe wrote: im sure that many veterans went to SFAS and failed, the same place where an 18x off of the street passed... obviously nothing is ever set in stone, but i really cannot see a reason to wait... maybe its the youth/inexperience of me...
It's your choice. In what language are you fluent? Have you tested? What score?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
iMaGiNe
Embryo

Post by iMaGiNe »

Jim wrote:
iMaGiNe wrote: im sure that many veterans went to SFAS and failed, the same place where an 18x off of the street passed... obviously nothing is ever set in stone, but i really cannot see a reason to wait... maybe its the youth/inexperience of me...
It's your choice. In what language are you fluent? Have you tested? What score?
I am fluent in Russian, I have not tested the DLAB, I tried but @ the Schofield education center apparently some civilian contract ran out and they are not administering the DLAB until March or something... I spent my 1st 8 years of my life in russia, and it is my native language.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Check with the Navy or USAF education centers and see if you can take the test there.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
sinjefe
Ranger

Post by sinjefe »

iMaGiNe wrote:I solidified the hunch that I have what it takes to make it physically... and the second part of making it intellectual... i believe everything that is taught i can learn and pickup... and the final part is heart... i wont quit because this is what i want.
Listen up, kid.

1) You have no idea what you are talking about. You won't find out what you can or cannot do until you go.
2) Get off your high horse. You should be the humblest person in the world right now. The sun rose and set before you came along and will continue to do so long after you are gone.
3) Often you get to where you are goping in life by making a series of choices, none of which you know at the time will be the correct one. The only thing I ever planned was to enlist into one of the Ranger Battalions. The rest were a series of junctions where I took one path when i could have just as easily taken another.
4) You were given some good advice about getting a combat tour under your belt. You don't know how long that will go on for and it is one of the most important things you can do while in. It is, after all, what we are all supposed to do. Respect is earned not given and you as a one year in, no combat tour PFC bring nothing to either Regiment that they must have.
'82-'85 HHC, 1/75
'85-'87 101st Abn Div (AASLT)
'87-'89 9th Inf Div (MTZ)
'89-'02 7th SFG (A)
'02-'06 Advisor, Colombian Counter Narcotics JTF
'06-'08 JFK Special Warfare Center
iMaGiNe
Embryo

Post by iMaGiNe »

Once again thank you for the advice. But at the same time, I know people who went through selection as recently as a few months ago and said it really was not that serious. I am sorry for projecting that I am on a high horse... I am not... I am humbled to be in the infantry... but what I've said is a direct result of information that I've received... I understand that I am a buck private... but put yourself in my shoes... another buck private comes out of selection and says it's not that serious... quite a few of them said if you are prepared gates are a joke, land nav do-able, and team week is the major suck but it's one step at a time one day at a time. I know a lot of X-rays that just went through selection and passed that I personally know from basic. I know their fitness level, a vibe of how intelligent they are, many don't even know proper English let alone another language. I always shoot for the stars, and when I see others shooting for the stars and completing things, it's irrational for me to believe I should take any route other than the direct one. Yes combat experience is important, but SF will always see combat experience whether we are in a war or not, whether we read about it or not. What is the worst that can happen? I go to SFAS and fail? Learn a lot? Take that knowledge to my unit? Deploy, come back and try again? Best case scenario? I pass? Go through airborne school? And continue through the training pipeline?

"Sinjefe" - According to your train of thought, the choices I make now are similar to yours are they not? I plan on enlisting into an ODA... I don't know why you wanted to enlist into one of the Ranger Battalions... But I want to be SF because I feel like it's something I'd do well; I am a people person, I love to strike up random conversations with everybody and work with people... I am from Brooklyn, I've been around the melting pot of the world as long as I can remember, every race, religion, creed... I love problem solving and have always been good at it... I like thinking outside the box... I like helping people... I like using my BRAIN before my BRAWN... The point I am trying to make is the 18x program has existed for a while, there definitely have been at the very least some good soldiers who have made it through and made a difference in the fight, and this opportunity is there for a reason and it couldn't hurt to TRY... Shoot for moon right? Maybe if you miss you'll land amongst the stars?

Oh yeah one more side story... possibly pertaining a tadbit to this... i know for a fact a 19 year old has made it through Delta selection... at 19!!!!!!! I'm 22! I could give SF my best shot! Right?
sinjefe
Ranger

Post by sinjefe »

Do whatever you want. You're not listening and I'm tired of talking to you. I spent my last two years before I retired at the Special Warfare Center and will be making a phone call to ensure that SFAS is aware of your arrival.

Pound sand up your ass, kid.
'82-'85 HHC, 1/75
'85-'87 101st Abn Div (AASLT)
'87-'89 9th Inf Div (MTZ)
'89-'02 7th SFG (A)
'02-'06 Advisor, Colombian Counter Narcotics JTF
'06-'08 JFK Special Warfare Center
iMaGiNe
Embryo

Post by iMaGiNe »

sinjefe wrote:Do whatever you want. You're not listening and I'm tired of talking to you. I spent my last two years before I retired at the Special Warfare Center and will be making a phone call to ensure that SFAS is aware of your arrival.

Pound sand up your ass, kid.
I'm sorry to make you feel that way. I don't understand what point you are trying to make with the phone call threats... or why you would wish ill upon my endeavors... I am just trying to do my best, this is a forum after all, and we've been discussing options and how various members/rangers felt about them and what were alternative options... It was NEVER my intention to upset you or anybody else here...
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Mario's Introduction

Post by KW Driver »

You've said sorry about four, five times now. If you shut your suck, you wouldn't have to.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

I have a headache in my eye now.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Elguapo
Ranger

Post by Elguapo »

Dude,
I'm going to lay it all out for you, as I think you're not catching the ball that's being thrown at you.

The girl at the party that advertises that she has the best dick sucking skills around, usually does indeed.

The guy at the party that advertises that he has the best dick sucking skills around, well... Quit being that guy.

Just because your buddies made it, and you think you can make it, doesn't matter. The Rangers/SF guys on here that did 20 years ago what you're talking about doing now gave you some great advice. You don't want it, so what are you doing here? Evidently, this isn't the place for you. Go SF and prove to yourself you have what it takes. And if you don't make it, maybe you'll land "in the stars" after all. :lol:
USAR 04-05
TXARNG 05-Present

OEF 08-09
HOA '12

RS 5-10

Return to “Introduction Archive”