Packing List

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
F8

Packing List

Post by F8 »

Anyone know how strict they are on having the packing list before you get there? Is there any time to get stuff once you've started?
Dublo
Ranger

Post by Dublo »

F8,
They will fuck you up if all of your stuff isn't there that is on the packing list. In fact, I think that you get kicked the fuck out.

I realize that you are on a time deadline before you show up to silly school, but you need to utilize that search function a hell of a lot more than you have been lately.

I am about to head back into the Military myself, I have done every bit of this stuff before, but I still use the Search function to refresh my memory, then, if I haven't been able to find the answer with the search function, I as a clear, concise question.

If you have any pointed questions, you can PM me and I will answer your question. If I think it is a good one that will benefit others in the future, then I will advise you to post it on here, where I will answer it in public to help others with their search function.

Have a nice day :twisted:
Dublo
I was in 2/75 from 97 to 00. 5-99

"He only loved people, he thought, who had fought or been mutilated. Other people were fine and you liked them and were good friends; but you only felt true tenderness and love for those who had been there and had received the castigation that everyone receives who goes there long enough." Ernest Hemingway
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

How it should go is your first day, you stand out in the parking lot and they inspect all your shit. If the packing list says have 8 pair of socks then you had better have 8 pair. If you don’t have the complete list you go down the road.

Just saw that you are going to airborne school after Ranger school, that’s kinda weak, because you will not have to take the same risks during the school as others.

If you are going to be an officer you need to start leading by example and quit playing catch up.
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Exactly what I was thinking when I saw he was going to Ranger School first, then airborne school after.

Airborne School gets you a 'P' skill identifier.

Ranger School gets you a 'V' identifier if you are also Airborne Qualified.

Ranger School gets you a 'G' identifier if you are NOT Airborne Qualified, but have graduated Ranger School.

They should make you keep your G identifier even after you graduate Airborne School since you will have NOT made any jumps in Ranger School. I know I made 2-3 jumps in Ranger School, one in the mountains and at least one in Florida. I think I had one in phase one also that is intended as a refresher for all those who were airborne qualified, but had not made any jumps since Airborne School - but everybody got to make that jump as far as I can remember. Except of course, those who are like you, Legs going through Ranger School. They should not allow Legs to go through that school.

So you're NOT making jumps in Ranger School is BS. You should do your best to try and reverse that so you go to Airborne School first. Your fellow students will be treating you like your shit is weak, well, because it is.
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

When I went through the legs had to pull guard duty the night before jumps while everyone else got 5 hours of sleep. Some stupid rule the army has says you have to have 5 hours of sleep before a jump. So the 10 or less legs had to pull guard for the whole company.

Ranger2
Dublo
Ranger

Post by Dublo »

No big deal if he doesn't get to jump in RS. He is a tanker and will have plenty of time to get some jumps in later in his career. That badge won't just be there for looks. :wink:

"He only loved people, he thought, who had fought or been mutilated. Other people were fine and you liked them and were good friends; but you only felt true tenderness and love for those who had been there and had received the castigation that everyone receives who goes there long enough." Ernest Hemingway
Mitch
Ranger

Post by Mitch »

I went to school with a guy that was an armor officer and they had just sent him to jump school prior to going to hooah school. So he gets there with his 5 jumps thinking he will only jump a few more times ever, well the guy ended up recycling twice and jumped in every phase so he ended up with 10 jumps. Just goes to show you never know what will happen. Don't know if he ever jumped an Abrams in or any other leg equipment :)
RHQ 94-96, HHC 1/75 96-00
RS 12-95
Dublo
Ranger

Post by Dublo »

That is fucking awesome.

F8

Post by F8 »

Yeah, I did a search on the packing list topic and couldn't find the answer. I'm typically good at finding the information on board through search, but couldn't find this.

As for getting airborne before Ranger, it's not really my choice. I'm lucky to get one of the schools let alone both, so I'm not going to complain about the order.

I'll make sure I have everything before I report, thanks for the info all.
DirtyM
Ranger

Post by DirtyM »

Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.benning.army.mil/rtb/RANGER/EQUIP.HTM

Cut and paste it in your address window. Or Google it and type 'Ranger School packing list' you'll get the RTB website with reporting instructions and packing list.

Am I missing something? That shit took me 15 seconds...
RS Class 7-92
F8

Post by F8 »

DirtyM wrote:Is this what you are looking for? ...

http://www.benning.army.mil/rtb/RANGER/EQUIP.HTM

...Am I missing something? That shit took me 15 seconds...
No, it's not what I'm looking for. Yes, you are missing something. I asked how strict they were on the packing list and if we'd have time to get stuff once we report.
Dublo
Ranger

Post by Dublo »

All right Bud,
You need to refer to the members of this site that are Rangers, as such. We already have proven ourselves.

The only rank on this site is that of Ranger. If you don't have that, then you need to be careful.

Actually, the fact that you even asked this question perturbs the shit out of me. You are prior enlisted, now an officer.

How in the Holy Fuck can you ever expect your dudes to be squared away, when in the last week or so before you attend one of the most career advancing schools the Army has to offer.......which by the way is one of the hardest schools the army has to offer in the means of attention to detail......you come on here and ask if you are going to get gigged for not being squared away when you get there.

You are going to get gigged. You are going to get your ass handed to you, then they are going to kick you the fuck out of the school. Which will make you look like a bigger turd, than if you never tried to go to that school in the first place.

Why didn't you get your tab? Was it the PT test? Was it the 5 miler?

No, I didn't even get that far.

I sent probably 30 PFC's to Ranger school....not a single one of them ever asked a question like this, they simply got the list of equipment that they needed, and put it all together.

Whatever, I am tired of typing. Have a nice day :evil:

Dublo
Ranger

Post by Dublo »

Don't fuck around with this school.

Have everything that they tell you to have.

It is not only your ass that is going to pay the price for not having all of your shit.....but also some squared the fuck away kiddos from Regiment that will be in your platoon. You can bet your ass that they have all of their shit, because they don't want any more smoke than necessary.

If you get them smoked enough, and still remain in the course, you just might find your ass getting pulled into the woodline and come out with a few teeth missing.......caused by malnutrition of course.

I don't know exactly what you think this course is all about. So I will tell you.

It is nothing like IMLC, SFAS, ROTC,.......etc, etc......

It is a suckfest/rite of passage to get to wear the tab. If your buddies don't like you there because you are a piece of shit, they will vote you off the motherfucking island.

If the RI's don't like you, they will fuck with you,.....call their buddies in the next phase....and they will fuck with you......call their buddies in the last phase....they will fuck with you THEN.......they will recycle your ass back to day one without a tab and make you do all of it over again, and even then you might or might not graduate.

If you are a piece of shit, and don't pull your half and screw over the other students, the RI's will see.....refer to above.

If you are a big piece of shit, and are a turd, and don't get your shit/have a shitty attitude....the Commander of the School...COL will call your future chain of command and they will know that you are a turd and couldn't hack it in the school. That officer code thing.

You don't want to get there and not have all of your shit.

Grumble and Grunt
Ranger

Post by Grumble and Grunt »

I went out to RTB today for clarification on some packing list items this is what I learned:

1. Bring 2 jungle and 2 pairs of leg boots

2. Underarmor tshirts are a go, they must be tan for the BDUs not black! (not sure about ACUs, USMC, or anything else)

3. Bring the snivel and be prepared to drop it and get it again for other phases between breaks.

4. Thorlo socks and cushioned polypros are a go, must be green or black, no gore tex

5. Gloves liners and shells such as Chillblockers and polypros of other varities are a go, they must be black with no easily discernable logos (black subdued)

I am not sure exactly how it works bringing stuff that can only be used in different phases such as certain pieces of snivel. Is it brought to 4th and stowed away in an A Bag or is it something you store on post or with a buddy and go get it later? I will seek more information on this.
RS Class 06-06
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Grumble and Grunt wrote:I am not sure exactly how it works bringing stuff that can only be used in different phases such as certain pieces of snivel.
You will have an "Unauthorized bag" which will hold all your packing list stuff.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”