IF you thought basic was going to get you ready...

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
RangerX
Ranger

Re: IF you thought basic was going to get you ready...

Post by RangerX »

I think she made it around to all the companies, because we had this in Charlie as well. Motivating & humbling at the same time.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

I don't think the Army is in the wrong here. The Army is simply adapting to the times, "work with what you have" if you will. I guess I am just wondering at what point is "society" going to realize that we are gonna be on the low end of the food chain if this keeps up. But then again....do you really have to be in good shape to fly drones and control battle robots? :lol:
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Shock
Tadpole

Post by Shock »

Back in the day the IDF paratroopers had to go on a 120k march to complete basic, a little less than 1/4 would finish with broken bones in their feet and legs. Those would be the ones unable to complete the training to become a paratrooper. There was nothing wrong with these recruits, many had prepared for the event, any doctor will tell you at those distances it's really just bad luck. Those soldiers would be thanked for their service and be dropped from combat.

During my basic our 65k/ 40 mile march DID cause me to develop a stress fracture on my hip, but I continued on through another 3 months of Advanced combat training without a word. I still ran a 6:20 mile on my final PT test. It took me almost a year and a half until I finally got around to seeing an orthopedist about it. The orthopedist said I was lucky I could still walk.

My opinion? suck it up and keep moving. If you can't carry yourself other people will have to carry you.
אל תהי בז לכל אדם, ואל תהי מפליג לכל דבר, שאין לך אדם שאין לו שעה, ואין לך דבר שאין לו מקום
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

So there was a cool show on the Science Channel yesterday, something like "How food made us human". Basically, the act of cooking food allowed our bodies to shift energy usage from digesting uncooked food to brain power. The problem is, our brain is still wired to consume the mass quantities of food we needed to survive before this change occurred.

Now with the proliferation of high sugar, high fat foods we all know and love/hate, our brains go in to hyperdrive trying to cram it all in.

So basically, fat asses have finely tuned survival instincts. For Homo Erectus.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Shock
Tadpole

Post by Shock »

RangerX wrote: Now with the proliferation of high sugar, high fat foods we all know and love/hate, our brains go in to hyperdrive trying to cram it all in.

So basically, fat asses have finely tuned survival instincts. For Homo Erectus.

I don't understand how this stuff is even on the menu at basic, is there some army regulation that keeps its available for the slow moving cattle?
אל תהי בז לכל אדם, ואל תהי מפליג לכל דבר, שאין לך אדם שאין לו שעה, ואין לך דבר שאין לו מקום
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

I'm still trying to get my head around the concept of any menu at all during basic.

My post above though was talking about the general lard-ification of modern civilization.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Shock
Tadpole

Post by Shock »

RangerX wrote:I'm still trying to get my head around the concept of any menu at all during basic.

My post above though was talking about the general lard-ification of modern civilization.
I got that part, I just wanted to know what the point is in enticing recruits to eat healthy in basic.

Same as some of the vets here, we were given food and ate it. 6 eggs for a table of six. If you weren't fast enough you wen't without.
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

Shock wrote:
RangerX wrote:I'm still trying to get my head around the concept of any menu at all during basic.

I got that part, I just wanted to know what the point is in enticing recruits to eat healthy in basic.

Same as some of the vets here, we were given food and ate it. 6 eggs for a table of six. If you weren't fast enough you wen't without.

I think the average Israeli is a bit more motivated to learn the skills being taught. The average American has nothing to fear by way of suicide bombers, Kaytushas and ideologically seperate and hostile countries on our borders.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

Twenty four posts and nobody has asked the only important question yet -

Was she hot?
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Lunch wrote:Of course she was- I was a private.
Hahaha same here. She was definately hawt.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando

Return to “About Army Physical Training”