Mono

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Tango one-six
Embryo

Mono

Post by Tango one-six »

Doc,
I have had Mono for the past month and I am scheduled to go to OBC next week. I am not allowed to be on profile when I report and my uncle (vietnam vet) told me the army may kick me out for having mono. Is this something I can suck up or should I tell them?
Thanks Doc
2002 - Airborne
2004 - Field Artillery OBC
Tango one-six
Embryo

Post by Tango one-six »

No meds for mono, just stick it out.
I feel great although I can tell my liver is swollen like the docs said it would. The risk is I may damage my liver or spleen but I will risk that if it means not getting kicked out. I know I can pass the APFT, but pass it good enough for a Ranger slot will probably be out.

I'll let my old ROTC cadre know and find out if I can get the next OBC without losing RS or 18th ABN
Thanks for the input Ranger Sobersides
2002 - Airborne
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

Don't fuck around with that shit.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

I had Mono. Never was my ass kicked so brutally in my life. While you may feel OK, energy reserves get very low, very quick. Any damage to the spleen can cause....death. Ie....Obstacle cource, hand to hand, ect....be very careful. I was in the Army when I got it but I was never approached about getting discharged. Relapses can happen if you dont take care of it. As above said, there is no medication for it per se, just the treating side issues. Good luck.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Tango one-six
Embryo

Post by Tango one-six »

yikes :shock: I'll take the appropriate actions. Thanks Rangers
2002 - Airborne
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

You'd better not fuck with that shit. I've had it twice, except the first time I had it, I had a wierd strain with a long German name. Basicly, it's just like mono but can be spread through casual contact, just like the flu can. they quaranteened my ass for over six months, which is how long it took be to beat it.

I have never been so weak in my life. A simple walk to the kitchen required a rest period prior to the retunr trip to the couch, and I spent the better part of half a year flat on my fuckin' back. No joke.

If you've got that shit, you'd better get over it before you do anything else - no matter what. It ain't nuthin' to fuck with.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
Tango one-six
Embryo

Post by Tango one-six »

I report on 19 Aug, I have already seen a doctor and got the blood test so I shouldn't have to do that again. I think I will tell them when I report.
Shit sucks, I was all motivated and ready kick ass, now I got to be a chairborne ranger, the weird part is I have plenty of energy, just a small pain in my stomach.
2002 - Airborne
ChipOnShoulder

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

Go on profile immediately and get the meds. Get your orders ammended to start at a later date. Don't mess around with this shit!! It can kill you. And why would you want to suck it up and drive on in OBC????? Go healthy, refreshed and with a sound mind!!! There will be plenty of times to suck it up so don't worry about this one.

Doc Cook

PS: Just to add some spice to this matter:
It would look real stupid to get killed in training while there are wars going on in the middle east. Don't be stupid!!!! Especially over some shit like mono!

Return to “Medical Issues”