Intro: Jon

This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

InTheRearWithTheGear
US Army Veteran

Intro: Jon

Post by InTheRearWithTheGear »

Greetings Rangers,

My name is Jon, I was active Army from 98-04 as a 31S (SATCOM operator) and was stationed at Ft. Stewart (Rock of the Marne!) the entire time....Deployed to Egypt (Brightstar 99), Bosnia SFOR 8 & 9, Kuwait ODS-02, and Iraq OIF-1. I mostly supported division level comms in the capacity of a TACSAT operator (vanized, not single channel), hence the name, "InTheRearWithTheGear". My only contact with any Rangers was Brightstar and PLDC (now Warrior Leader Course) from HAAF. My impression of this elite group of soldiers garnered and developed a tremendous amount of respect which I still carry to this day. I am truly honored to even be here and I am proud to have served among you, no matter how far away in skill or MOS I was away from the Rangers.

I left the active component and joined the Reserves to fulfill my MSO (04-06), found a non-deployable unit (was attending school at the time) in my hometown of San Antonio. I had to reclass to a 92Y (supply sergeant) but only completed phase 1 (so i never MOS q'd)....I was discharged shortly after completing my obligation.

I don't ever think I was ready to leave the Army.....Since my 2nd discharge I felt some semblance of regret that I never gave enough, almost as if I never made any difference or served to a meaningful capacity....4 years of deep thought of how and why I should return to the Army weighed heavily during those years. Whatever amount that was there, is now non-existent. 3 weeks ago, I signed the dotted line for a 3rd time into the TX NG Guard. I will be re-classing into 11B and will hopefully be assigned (upon unit approval) to 1/143rd INF (AIRBORNE). I spoke on the phone with the retention NCO and he stated this is an all volunteer unit, we have a multitude of schools that we're opening up slots for people to attend....."I should also mention all E5's and above are Ranger qualified..."

My pulse quickened. This is my chance, right here and right now. I feel an even deeper sense of renewal and belonging after just hearing of an opportunity to possibly attend Ranger school.

Upon hearing those words, I upped my game in PT and training ( and I should add, un-training myself.....4 years of bad habits i.e. sleeping in, drinking, etc..) in preparation for appointment into this unit. I figure if I can present 110% whole soldier concept and be professional and blow the 1st PT test out of the water, I would hope it is enough to stand in their ranks. Whatever I have to do or whatever school it is that I must go to....I will go, and then some. And when the day comes that they ask, "Who wants to go to Ranger School?" I will SOUND OFF in the spirit of the motto of my old Brigade:

"SEND ME!!!"

Thanks to all, and God Bless. It is a pleasure & honor to be here.
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Intro: Jon

Post by Slowpoke »

Welcome!

I applaud your desire to serve again, but don't denigrate your service earlier. For every Ranger, Special Forces, Paratrooper, or Leg 11B in the fight, it takes three people "in the rear with the gear" to support them. The support people are absolutely necessary or the men in the fight can't carry on the mission. Thanks for your service!
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com and thanks for your service to our great country!
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
garyedolan
Ranger Hall of Fame

Post by garyedolan »

Welcome Youngster. Be proud of your service; God speed on your endeavors as you continue to serve.
Gary "28"
Co C (RGR), 75 Inf (ABN) '70-'71
USMA 69; RGR 4-70; RHOF-2011
http://oftheirownaccord.com

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be." Douglas MacArthur
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site & thank you for your service . . .sit down & stay awhile.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

Hey there. Take it from another former "dog face" (see the sig line) you won't regret going Ranger. My time in 3rd ID was fun and I learned a lot of great stuff, but being a Ranger was one of the greatest times of my life. Thanks for your service and for your intent to come over to the grunt side of the house.

Never, ever quit!
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Welcome and thank you for your past and future service.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Buzz
Ranger

Post by Buzz »

Welcome.
2nd squad-1st plt-C 2/75 77-78
RS 4-78

The way I became a Ranger and have earned the small amount of success I have had in life has been mostly due to one quality - determination. Lefty.
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

You are Welcome here!
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
RangerTee
Ranger

Post by RangerTee »

Welcome. Thanks for serving, and for volunteering to serve again.
"War is an extension of politics by other means" - Carl Phillip Gottfried von Clausewitz - "On War"

http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
U.D. for VII Corps LRRP, C/58 LRP, B/75 RGR for 75th Ranger.Regt.Assn.

Class 2-73
B/75: 72-74
Co.B,1st Ranger Bn.: 74-75
Div.Pathfinders-T.L.,101st Abn.
75thRRA.L.M.#1820
D.A.V. Life Member (75-current)
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

Thanks for your service so far, and I am a little jealous of your opportunity to do it again. Brother.... do your best and welcome.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
InTheRearWithTheGear
US Army Veteran

Thank you Rangers & brothers for the heartfelt warm welcome.

I'm anxiously awaiting to report to my unit. I have so many questions and no idea where to begin. I feel somewhat alien as to how I'm going to even ask and get the pertinent infomation. it's been years since I even addressed soldiers and senior NCOs. But I know I'll hit the ground running and be GTG.

I will be visiting the unit's readiness NCO this thursday....I will post back with my findings.
InTheRearWithTheGear
US Army Veteran

mortar_guy78 wrote:Hey there. Take it from another former "dog face" (see the sig line) you won't regret going Ranger. My time in 3rd ID was fun and I learned a lot of great stuff, but being a Ranger was one of the greatest times of my life. Thanks for your service and for your intent to come over to the grunt side of the house.

Never, ever quit!
Roger that, Ranger Mortar_guy78! I really enjoyed my stay at Stewart as well....but I know my future now holds better things for me. Stewart is a chapter closed, it is now time for a new one.....I appreciate your advice, it is the best I've heard yet.

Return to “Introduction Archive”