Running plan

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Cisco4711
US Army

Running plan

Post by Cisco4711 »

Hello, I'm just posting my running plan to get some people's opinion on the plan itself.

Mon- 30:60, 8x
Wednesday- 3-4 mile run, 8-9 min mile
Fri- 30:60, 8x

30:60- 30 seconds of sprint, followed by 60 sec walking rest.

This was a "solid" plan given to me a current Drill Sergeant at Ft. Leonard Wood. I would like some input on what they think about this plan in general.
173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team
Feb 2010- Present
Elguapo
Ranger

Re: Running plan

Post by Elguapo »

What is your goal? Are you prepping for OSUT or are you running races? What is your timeline?
USAR 04-05
TXARNG 05-Present

OEF 08-09
HOA '12

RS 5-10
Cisco4711
US Army

Post by Cisco4711 »

Elguapo,

My goal is RASP.
I leave 20100727 and these workouts are geared in improving 2 mile times.
Feb 2010- Present
Elguapo
Ranger

Post by Elguapo »

Thanks for the info. I'll be honest with you, OSUT can take a fat guy and improve his two mile time to max the PT test. You really need to be able to run 5-10 miles if you want to be successful in RASP and beyond. I have used Hal Higdon's training programs to prep me for a few Half-Marathons. Here is a link http://www.halhigdon.com/. What is your current 2 mile time?

Edit: In fact, what are your current PT stats? PU, SU, 2 mile, 5 mile, and Pull Ups?
USAR 04-05
TXARNG 05-Present

OEF 08-09
HOA '12

RS 5-10
Cisco4711
US Army

Post by Cisco4711 »

Elguapo,

Thats what my recruiter told me, but the Rangers on this board tell me that I should be as most prepared as I can before I even leave.

Self-assessed test on 4/9/10:
2 mile- 15:20
SU-59
Pu-31

Self-assessed Test on 5/1/10:
2 mile- 15:46
Su- 73
Pu-36
Chin ups- 3

The first test was done at low 70's degree weather. The 2nd test was done 87 degree weather. I called my recruiter and he told me it's best to run in the morning so I will re-test this thursday hopefully with my recruiter this time.

My recruiter says as long as I have 14:00 for 2 miles before I leave July 27, I'll be fine. A current Drill Sergeant from Ft. Leonard Wood told me that in Basic/OSUT, you will improve your scores. He also said how much you improve depends greatly on you.
Feb 2010- Present
Elguapo
Ranger

Post by Elguapo »

Oh you should definitely be as prepared as possible. I dropped about 3 minutes on my two mile time during Basic. What I meant was you need to start thinking about more than just the two mile.

Here is a program I used with pretty good success. It trains you for a 10k (6.2 miles) in 8 weeks. http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10knovice.htm You will have a couple of weeks to rest and maintain your gains before shipping.

Like I said, you will cut down time on your two mile during OSUT. If you can set up a longer distance base before hand, it will pay dividends.

Oh, and quit worrying about the temperature outside. Either it's hot or not. Drink water. There is no difference between a 12:59 two mile in 70 degree weather and a 12:59 two mile in 100 degree weather. You need to put out results, not excuses.

Your sit ups are pretty good, nice improvement. Keep working on them. However, your push ups and pull ups suck. What are you doing for them?

With some hard work, you can max the PT test before you even show up. You down?
USAR 04-05
TXARNG 05-Present

OEF 08-09
HOA '12

RS 5-10
Cisco4711
US Army

Post by Cisco4711 »

HELL YES IM DOWN Elguapo!!!!

I Really really really wanna improve my PT! But I just can't seem to find the right plan.

I've done a simliar running plan to the one you referenced.
http://www.military.com/military-fitnes ... -marathons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I did the first 6 weeks and first 2 weeks in the intermediate level

FOr my push ups, I take half my MAX, do 3 sets of those, 3 times a day. What im doing is like lets say today I did 15...well the next day I workout I shoot for 16, after that 17, and so on. I did that for 2 weeks and my PU went up by 6(looking at my scores)

For chin ups, I could only do 1. I starting working on my chin ups APril 19, by May 1st I was able to do 3(with good form).
Feb 2010- Present
Elguapo
Ranger

Post by Elguapo »

Well I really really really want to see you succeed. It's refreshing to see your level of motivation. The only factor that will stop you from achieving your goals, is you. The plan from military.com is not a bad plan for someone beginning. My only qualm is that it doesn't build much distance, which you need. Also, if you don't have access to a bike or pool for cross-training days your SOL. I'm not going to pick it apart, because doing it is better than doing nothing. Unless another member here posts up a better program, start the one I gave you (the 10k).

You're really going to need to dedicate quite a bit of time and a LOT of effort to max the PT. Since you're down for it, I'm down for helping you in any way possible. Give me a bit and I'll dig up some programs, throw everything in a blender, and build you a program.

What I need from you is: your height, weight, and BMI if you know it. If not tell me how fat or skinny you are. What are your eating habits like, how much sleep do you get, and how much time (in hours) do you have to dedicate to this daily?
USAR 04-05
TXARNG 05-Present

OEF 08-09
HOA '12

RS 5-10
Cisco4711
US Army

Post by Cisco4711 »

I have access to a Y.M.C.A in my area.
With the plan you provided, I notice it has no speed workouts. Are speed workouts not the most effective and efficient way to improve running times?

I stand 5'10, weigh 180. My wasist is size 36. I used to diet but not anymore. I dont eat FATBODY foods, I just dont eat in proportions.
I sleep about 6-7 hours a night. I have about 30-45 minutes do dedicate to PT on days I work since I go to High school also. This week I don't work at all and last week of May I am going to quit my job so that I can just live my last summer as a civilian..wih a 100% priority focus on PT!

Are you familiar with the Military Athlete workouts? I've been considering to start doing it, but I'm going to consult with my recruiter tomorrow.
Feb 2010- Present
Pappaly_GT
Embryo

Post by Pappaly_GT »

Hey Elguapo ,
Just wanted to say thanks for putting that link up about preparing for a 10k. I plan on following that routine soon. Also, good luck to you Cisco4711 , Im also in high school and preparing for enlistment. Ill only be shipping sometime next year, but better to prepare sooner.
Anyways, just wanted to say thanks for putting that link up, its going to help me out!
-Anthony
Pappaly_GT
Embryo

Post by Pappaly_GT »

Hey Elguapo ,
Just wanted to say thanks for putting that link up about preparing for a 10k. I plan on following that routine soon. Also, good luck to you Cisco4711 , Im also in high school and preparing for enlistment. Ill only be shipping sometime next year, but better to prepare sooner.
Anyways, just wanted to say thanks for putting that link up, its going to help me out!
-Anthony
Pappaly_GT
Embryo

Post by Pappaly_GT »

Hey Elguapo ,
-Anthony
Dan B 3/75
Ranger

Post by Dan B 3/75 »

Listen up studs....

The key to building speed and endurance for 2 to 5 mile runs is as follows...

Training in accordance with your heart rate. Period.

I don't care WHAT high speed program you use, it will mean exactly jack and squat if your heart rate is out of whack when you execute it.

YOU do the research. YOU need to know the difference between an aerobic and anaerobic heart rate for YOU, as it is different for each individual.

My recommendation: 2 x anaerobic events per week. Minimum of 20 mins, max 30.
3 x aerobic events per week. Minimum of 20 mins, max 50.

Some anaerobic events: Sprint and walks, interval runs, interval hill work.

Aerobic events: Aerobic runs, hill / stair runs, ruck marching.

3 and 2 will get you through....

Do the research, it's all online now.

Know: YOUR resting heart rate, max heart rate, heart rate reserve, training heart rate at an aerobic and anaerobic level.

Simple.

Good luck men. YOU are the future, and we need studs and not pussies.
Cisco4711
US Army

Post by Cisco4711 »

Hooah Ranger Dan B 3/75!
Last edited by Cisco4711 on May 11th, 2010, 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 2010- Present

Return to “About Army Physical Training”