RASP Class 1 graduates 1/3 of those who started.

Eight weeks of smoke, training & evaluation.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

RASP Class 1 graduates 1/3 of those who started.

Post by K.Ingraham »

The first RASP class is now complete:

USASOC News Service
RELEASE NUMBER: 100316-03
DATE POSTED: MARCH 16, 2010

75th Ranger Regiment graduates 56 new Rangers

ByTracy A. Bailey
75th Ranger Regiment Public Affairs

FORT BENNING, Ga. (USASOC News Service, March 16, 2010) - The 75th Ranger Regiment’s Ranger Assessment and Selection Program 1 conducted a graduation ceremony at Freedom Hall, March 5.

On Jan. 11, Class 03-10 started with 155 Soldiers. The grueling and demanding nature of the eight-week assessment and selection course gradually reduced the graduating class to 56 Rangers.

More than 200 Family and friends watched proudly as their sons, grandsons, nephews and husbands donned the tan beret that signifies the brotherhood of the 75th Ranger Regiment.

“You have proven you are worthy of wearing that 75th Ranger Regiment scroll,” said RASP 1 graduation speaker, retired Col. Ralph Puckett, former Honorary Colonel of the 75th Ranger Regiment. “When you do, you will be proclaiming to all who see you that you are one of the best Soldiers in the world.”

The Regiment’s initial training and selection program has recently undergone a complete overhaul which aims to ensure graduates are ready for the complex and demanding environment of the constantly evolving special operations battlefield.

“The Ranger Regiment has always prided itself on the quality of Soldier it produces and RASP 1 enhances our capabilities,” said Sgt. 1st Class Tyson Crosby, non-commissioned officer in charge of the RASP 1 program. “RASP 1 is not only designed to teach Soldiers the skills required to become a member of the Regiment, but also to ensure they are physically and mentally prepared to be successful.”

The RASP 1 course is designed to ensure candidates meet the demanding standards for service within the75th Ranger Regiment, as well as arm its graduates with the skills required to be successful in the demanding and high-tempo lifestyle of the Regiment.

“You are a trained and certified Ranger, ready to deploy to combat in a fire team. You don’t have to take a backseat to any Ranger who has gone before you,” said Puckett. “You have met and exceeded standards that previous graduates met. You are a Ranger who has earned the right, the honor and the responsibility of calling yourself a U.S. Army Ranger.”

Spc. Andrew Reid, a native of Norwich, New York, joined the Army after receiving a Bachelor of Science degree in history from The College of Brockport State University of New York. He is also the recipient of the Class Leader Award and has dreamt about being a U.S. Army Ranger since he was a little boy.

“To be part of this Regiment is truly an honor,” said Reid. “I feel privileged. This is something I chose, I think it’s every man’s responsibility to fight for his country. This is what I want and I’m honored. This is a dream come true.”

Reid’s Ranger buddy, Pfc. Schuyller Nagorski, a combat medic and the class honor graduate agrees.

“I feel privileged to be here and to be a part of this unit,” said Nagorski.

Nagorski, a native of Tacoma, Wash., and graduate of Franklin Pierce High School, said he joined the Army because he wanted the character and discipline of his parents, who are both retired E-7s and the teamwork of being a U.S. Army Ranger.

“You can’t succeed without your Ranger Buddy to your left and to your right,” said Nagorski. “I want to make sure that if my men go down, hopefully they never will, but they have confidence in me and my skills as a combat medic, that I will be there and I will not give up on them.”

“We , the Rangers of yesterday, are depending on you, the Rangers of today and tomorrow, to protect our freedom so that our grandchildren may enjoy the benefits that we have had,” concluded Puckett. “Rangers lead the way!”

http://news.soc.mil/releases/News%20Arc ... 16-03.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (accessed 16MAR10)
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Bravo57
Ranger

Re: RASP Class 1 graduates 1/3 of those who started.

Post by Bravo57 »

That's good shit!!!!

The Graduation rate is about the same as when I went through RIP, so that answers whether or not they are culling the herd enough.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Aaaw, Fortunately for us, you all make us old timers proud!

Drive the fuck on Rangers!

Good post K.Ingraham.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Sends a chill up the spine!
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
snafu
Ranger

Post by snafu »

Awesome post Kevin...That's quite an accomplishment for those Rangers.
RSD, HHC 75th RHQ Dec 04-Oct 07
RCC, RSTB 75th Rgr Rgt. Oct 07-Feb 09
1/3 SFG (A) SigDet, Dec 09-May 12
RS 02-06

team 3 best team.
Dan B 3/75
Ranger

Post by Dan B 3/75 »

Bravo57 wrote:That's good shit!!!!

The Graduation rate is about the same as when I went through RIP, so that answers whether or not they are culling the herd enough.

Yea....

But YOU went through back when it was EASY!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

I remember back in the day there was always discussion about lengthening the R.I.P. program and including some of the basic tasks that would be encountered once they got to a Fire Team. Glad to see they finally pulled it off.

IMO, there will be a much better end product hitting the line due to their initial training, AND due to the fact that 2 months is a pretty good chunk of time, which will help get them in better shape both physically and mentally. 2 months will DEFINITELY help weed out those muldoons who don't have the heart for it, and that'll help prevent RFS'ing those who should never have made it through.

My only concern would be the demand to lower the standards by "big Army" that always comes with high attrition rates whenever "big Army" troops fail miserably to meet challenging standards. Funny how that works.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

ZoneIV wrote:Didn't we have some folks on here that were suppose to be part of this class? I wonder how they fared.
Yes, I seem to recall one or two posted pre-RASP. If you're reading this and made it, let us know.
As to the attrition rate, if we were to factor in all the 'option 40s' who never even managed to start RASP, this group of 56 cherry Rangers becomes even more select.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
rgrwest
Ranger

Post by rgrwest »

Great Article. I got two sons right now debating going in for OPT 40....this will make them push a bit harder.
Rgrwest
RC 13-87
C Co, 1-504 PIR, 84-89
B Co, 5th RTB, 89-92
A, 1-501 (ABN), 93-95
C, 2-11 INF (IOBC), 95-98
HHC, 1-509 PIR, 98-02
USASMA, 02- Instructor
OIF I - Feb 03-Jul 03 (Attached OPS SGM)
USASMA, 04 - Student
HHC, 1-30 INF, 3-3 ID, 04-06 (OPS SGM)
OPSGRP, JRTC, 06-07 (TF SGM)
G3, SETAF (Vicenza, Italy) 07-09 (G3 SGM)
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Excellent SITREP. The Batt Boys get better every year. How I envy their youth.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
garyedolan
Ranger Hall of Fame

Post by garyedolan »

OUTSTANDING Baby Rangers addressed by one of my heroes, COL Ralph Puckett, who, as an LTC, was my Regt CDR when I was a Cadet at West Point.
Fortunately, I had access to some great leaders and mentors along the way---as well as some that simply sucked. Helps to be able to learn the difference.
Gary "28"
Co C (RGR), 75 Inf (ABN) '70-'71
USMA 69; RGR 4-70; RHOF-2011
http://oftheirownaccord.com

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be." Douglas MacArthur
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

The good thing is that Regiment runs the program, and I doubt CSM Merritt is going to allow any lossening of standards.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

. wrote:Great job men. Baby Rangers is the same as leg IMO.

It's just something us old fuckers got to calling the presently serving group of Heros (like you) due to the age difference. There was only a slight slur meant. :twisted:
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
nmott05
Inprocessing

Post by nmott05 »

K.Ingraham wrote:
ZoneIV wrote:Didn't we have some folks on here that were suppose to be part of this class? I wonder how they fared.
Yes, I seem to recall one or two posted pre-RASP. If you're reading this and made it, let us know.
As to the attrition rate, if we were to factor in all the 'option 40s' who never even managed to start RASP, this group of 56 cherry Rangers becomes even more select.
I roomed with Reid, and Ski (Nagorski). Two guys I will be friends with for the rest of my life. RASP 1 was a test of my physical, and mental stamina, and like Ski said, it really came down to the Ranger buddy to my left and right. While out to Cole Range, I literally speared (tackled) a guy who was going up to Cadre to quit. He is now my neighbor, and that story will forever live on, and like any good "fishing story", will only get better with time.
The guys that quit class 03-10 in my mind were weak, and now that I have spent some time in Regiment, it was probably for the best. I don't want to be serving next to men like that.
Moving forward, I had the chance to talk to the current RASP class recently. The 1SG wanted to have a motivational meeting with the 25 series guys. Since I am the only one in the company who has completed RASP (not to mention the first ever RASP class), he asked me to say a few words. I told them what my hold over NCOIC had told me when I first arrived: 1) Always do what your told, and 2) Never quit. Too easy.
Aside from thinking of my family, those two rules helped get me through RASP, and I hope it will them too.
The article above was great, like was mentioned on this thread, sends chill's down my spine. Would I do it again? Hell yeah! It was a great feeling standing up there getting ready to say the creed with my brothers. The feeling of accomplishing all we had.
I should be experiencing that again soon, when I go for my tab.
Thanks again for posting the article.
Graduate of first RASP class, class 03-10.

Return to “About RASP”