ADD

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: ADD

Post by Jim »

If you have trouble concentrating or focusing, please refer back to the words of the Great Ape on this thread. If a physician prescribed medication -- go back to him and ensure he understands what you are doing.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
bostonian23
Embryo

Post by bostonian23 »

Rangers,
Thank you for all the input. I only took them during the school year and with that only during the school week. I called my doctor today and told him that I would like to try a semester without them and see how it goes. He was skeptical, but agreed to it. Honestly, since stopping with them I feel better than I did when on them,(no headaches, loss of appetite etc) I'm motivated to do well and that's all I need to do well. Thanks again for sharing you views with me!

Ryan
I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. ~Thomas Jefferson
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

bostonian23 wrote:Rangers,
Thank you for all the input. I only took them during the school year and with that only during the school week. I called my doctor today and told him that I would like to try a semester without them and see how it goes. He was skeptical, but agreed to it. Honestly, since stopping with them I feel better than I did when on them,(no headaches, loss of appetite etc) I'm motivated to do well and that's all I need to do well. Thanks again for sharing you views with me!

Ryan

While there are plenty of jokes to be made around this thread/topic and I am usually the smart ass in the group, I'll refrain, solely because I respect your courage in even posting this thread. I'm sure it may be embarrassing or even discouraging to you, but you did it anyway, I respect that.

I would seriously take Ranger Silverback's advice young stud. While you may feel "ok" right now, you may still have residual meds in your system from taking them for so long. I wonder how you'll feel 6-8 months down the road. Hopefully good, but only time will tell that tale.

I have no other useful advice on this, but I wish you well, good luck young man.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
bostonian23
Embryo

Post by bostonian23 »

Ranger Cams,
Thank you for the words of encouragement. Hopefully everything turns out for the best!

Ryan
I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. ~Thomas Jefferson
j6collins
Embryo

Post by j6collins »

I had the same question. The answer I got is "you don't have ADD"! As long as you are off it with enough time to pass the drug test you will be fine. They can not look at your medical history. That being said make sure you see your doctor before stoping any meds to make sure it is safe....this is what my recruiter said>
bostonian23
Embryo

Post by bostonian23 »

Rangers,
A update from this situation from this past semester. I was able to end the semester with a B+, B, B, B-, and B-. Hard work and determination can go a long way and I realize now that those "meds" were not needed. Surprisingly the doc was very happy about the success. I have about a year and a half left of school, and I have my eyes on the final target of becoming a member of the 75th Ranger Regiment. I am staying motivated and will continue to do so. Thanks for all the information on this site.....heading back to the shadows.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Good for you. Now keep up the hard work.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

bostonian23 wrote:Rangers,
A update from this situation from this past semester. I was able to end the semester with a B+, B, B, B-, and B-. Hard work and determination can go a long way and I realize now that those "meds" were not needed. Surprisingly the doc was very happy about the success. I have about a year and a half left of school, and I have my eyes on the final target of becoming a member of the 75th Ranger Regiment. I am staying motivated and will continue to do so. Thanks for all the information on this site.....heading back to the shadows.
Please post an update on your physical status for us. Are you still off the prescribed meds and what effect has that had so far in the last 3-4 months?

What are you doing to prepare yourself physically in the meantime, as far as PT?
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

bostonian23
Embryo

Post by bostonian23 »

Ranger Cams.
I am still off the medication and thankfully have had no ill sided effects. While on the medication my weight would fluctuate between 205-210 which I think was due to the appetite being thrown off by the medication. Since being off I have been at 200lbs for the past 4-5 months. I feel better now physically than I have in a long time, and being off the medication has something to do with it. For PT I am running 2-3 days a week ranging from fast 1-2 miles, and slow and long 6-7 mile runs with sprinting mixed in every other week or so. Core Muscle strengthening has been a focus at the gym, along with push ups and sit ups. Graduation is on track for May of 2012 so I still have a lot of time to prepare myself for the opportunity but it is getting closer and it is making me more determined to work hard.

Ryan
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Good update young man. And good news on your status. Keep doing what your'e doing. You have time to get in better shape, study and hopefully keep yourself out of trouble.

Start studying the Ranger Creed. Think about what it means to you. And think about what it must mean to the men that live by it and die by it.

Something to think about for the weekend. Do PT.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

merlyn
Tadpole

Post by merlyn »

Zonk 1/75 wrote:
Sometimes people can just focus on focusing……………

Yeah....its call old age.
507th Air Ambulance
21st Field Evac Hospital
41st MASH
Walter Reed Army Medical Center
Brook Army Medical Center

I have slipped the surely bonds of Earth; put out my hand and touched the face of God.

To give less than your best is to sacrafice the gift.
bostonian23
Embryo

Post by bostonian23 »

Roger that Ranger Cams.

Return to “Recruitment Process”