Ranger Medic Question

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
August
Embryo

Ranger Medic Question

Post by August »

Rangers,

I am turing 17 this August and I will do everything I can to get the 68w opt. 40 contract. I was reading RngrDoc75's sticky "Ranger Medic Recruiting" and he stated,
There are also a handful of enlisted medical support positions in the Regt for MOS 68J (Med Logistics), 68S (Preventive Medicine), and 68X (Mental Health Spec).
So my question is do you have a say in whether or not you get assigned to one of those positions because I would prefer to be working out in the field at the Platoon, Squad level. (Sorry in advance if this is a dumb question)

Thank you Rangers,

-Alan

RLTW
RASP Class 06-12
fender
US Army

Re: Ranger Medic Question

Post by fender »

Yes, pick the job you want. Get it on paper.

and

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+pick+your+job+in+the+army" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
snafu
Ranger

Post by snafu »

I've been out of Regiment for a year but this is how it was when I was there: Once you pass RASP, you get assigned to RMED. From there you train, do various support requirements for RHQ or RSTB...during this time they send the medics to SOMC--Spec Ops Medics Course. I think that's a requirement for Ranger medics to pass before they get pushed out to the line battalions. But pass that, and you will eventually make it to the line.

I know some of the really squared away medics get sent to Ranger School while at RMED too, even before they get a SOMC slot...

Unless it's changed, that's sort of what you can expect. Good luck.
RSD, HHC 75th RHQ Dec 04-Oct 07
RCC, RSTB 75th Rgr Rgt. Oct 07-Feb 09
1/3 SFG (A) SigDet, Dec 09-May 12
RS 02-06

team 3 best team.
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

fender wrote:Yes, pick the job you want. Get it on paper.

and

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+pick+your+job+in+the+army" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stay in your lane.

RLTW!
August
Embryo

Post by August »

Thank you all for your responses I appreciate the input.

-Alan

RLTW
RASP Class 06-12
RngrDoc75
Ranger

Post by RngrDoc75 »

August-

68J, 68S, 68X, and now 68T are simply additional medical MOS' available in the Regiment. They are in the medical career management field, but they are not medics. They do not go to SOCM except on the extreme-expception-to-the-rule-well-proven-guy.

You will chose your MOS when you are dealing with the recruiter as you come into the Army. The Regiment does not actively change your MOS to fit a job in the Regiment. That is only remotely done for Rangers who have been in the Regiment for a while and desire to make a change and stay.
RngrDoc75
Ranger Medic, 75th RGR Regt
1990-1995 at 1/75
1995 to 2012 at RHQ
2012 to 2015 at USSOCOM
2015 to Present CoTCCC/Joint Trauma System

if you can do the math and have been in the Regt medical team in those years, then you probably know who I am...

Dominatus Comminus Rememdium
"Mastery in Close Combat Medicine"
August
Embryo

Post by August »

Thank you RngrDoc75 for your response that answers my question perfectly.

-August
RASP Class 06-12
fritzscorner
US Army

Post by fritzscorner »

Instead of creating another thread figured I would hijack this one since its relevant to the topic.

Doing research Ive been able to find quite abit of info on SOCM (W1) and Ranger Medic. But still have few questions that I hope can be answered here.

SOCM (W1) has been evaluated by the American Council of Education. The following is what they recommend for college credits.

"Version 2: In the vocational certificate category, 1 semester hour in cardiopulmonary resuscitation or 1 in automatic external defibrillation, 1 in prehospital trauma life support, and 1 in advanced cardiac life support. In the lower-division baccalaureate/associate degree category, 3 semester hours in anatomy an physiology, 3 in pharmacology, 2 in emergency medical technician (overview), 4 in emergency medical technician (I, theory with laboratory), 6 in emergency medical technician (II, clinical with field), 3 semester hours in emergency medical service (administration and operations), 3 in emergency medical service (special populations), 4 in medical emergencies management (clinical), 4 in trauma management (clinical), 4 in emergency medical technician ( paramedic), 4 in emergency medical technician (paramedic, clinical/field), and 3 in military science (5/06)(5/06)."

http://www.militaryguides.acenet.edu/Sh ... -0801-0036" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My first question is... Any actual Ranger Medics turn in there AARTS transcript for college, how many credits did the college actually give you and what college was it? Also what was your degree program?

My second question...

Mainly seeking a confirmation.

Ranger Snafu states that you will be placed at RMED until you get sent to SOCM at Ft. Bragg, is this only for the medics coming from AIT? Ive also been told and read it in the Ranger Medic application that you will be sent back to your previous unit until your SOCM class begins for the medics already in active duty Army. Would just like a confirmation on which one is correct.

My third question...

I understand that SOCM (W1) at Ft. Bragg is a PCS school. Is it with or without dependents? The PCS orders for medics attending SOCM for Ranger assignment. I am married with just a dog no kids and my wife is also in the Army, so I assume if its with dependents I am shit out of luck because she obviously wont get PCS orders. But I'm curious to know either way.

I'm currently deployed and wont be back in the states and in the full swing of things till mid this year. I cannot re-up until October 1st 2010 according to Retentions so I have awhile yet.

Thank you Rangers for your time, any help would be much appreciated.
SPC 68W10 4/1 AD US ARMY
Currently Serving in Iraq.
RngrDoc75
Ranger

Post by RngrDoc75 »

fritzscorner wrote:Instead of creating another thread figured I would hijack this one since its relevant to the topic.

Doing research Ive been able to find quite abit of info on SOCM (W1) and Ranger Medic. But still have few questions that I hope can be answered here.

SOCM (W1) has been evaluated by the American Council of Education. The following is what they recommend for college credits.

"Version 2: In the vocational certificate category, 1 semester hour in cardiopulmonary resuscitation or 1 in automatic external defibrillation, 1 in prehospital trauma life support, and 1 in advanced cardiac life support. In the lower-division baccalaureate/associate degree category, 3 semester hours in anatomy an physiology, 3 in pharmacology, 2 in emergency medical technician (overview), 4 in emergency medical technician (I, theory with laboratory), 6 in emergency medical technician (II, clinical with field), 3 semester hours in emergency medical service (administration and operations), 3 in emergency medical service (special populations), 4 in medical emergencies management (clinical), 4 in trauma management (clinical), 4 in emergency medical technician ( paramedic), 4 in emergency medical technician (paramedic, clinical/field), and 3 in military science (5/06)(5/06)."

http://www.militaryguides.acenet.edu/Sh ... -0801-0036" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My first question is... Any actual Ranger Medics turn in there AARTS transcript for college, how many credits did the college actually give you and what college was it? Also what was your degree program?

My second question...

Mainly seeking a confirmation.

Ranger Snafu states that you will be placed at RMED until you get sent to SOCM at Ft. Bragg, is this only for the medics coming from AIT? Ive also been told and read it in the Ranger Medic application that you will be sent back to your previous unit until your SOCM class begins for the medics already in active duty Army. Would just like a confirmation on which one is correct.

My third question...

I understand that SOCM (W1) at Ft. Bragg is a PCS school. Is it with or without dependents? The PCS orders for medics attending SOCM for Ranger assignment. I am married with just a dog no kids and my wife is also in the Army, so I assume if its with dependents I am shit out of luck because she obviously wont get PCS orders. But I'm curious to know either way.

I'm currently deployed and wont be back in the states and in the full swing of things till mid this year. I cannot re-up until October 1st 2010 according to Retentions so I have awhile yet.

Thank you Rangers for your time, any help would be much appreciated.
Here are your answers...along with a little more.

1. AARTS credits are always dependent on the college that you are attempting to transfer in to and the degree program you are pursuing. Different colleges award AARTS transcripts in accordance with their own registrars and degree programs. The same college may recognize something in a nursing program that it may not recognize in a business program (stating the obvious here). So, just because the AARTS says a course is worth XX amount of credits does not obligate a college to recognize it. Another thing to consider with any AARTS transfer is the effect on your GPA. Many colleges only accept them as “passing”; some may even carry them as a C which can kill a GPA. Just something to be careful with. YES, Ranger Medics transfer SOCM credits into college credits all the time. The hour breakdown you have is the correct AARTS assessment. Most guys get anywhere from 35-50 credit hours dependent on the college. Regents College and Campbell University both given quite a few before. There is another, but can’t think of it at the moment. We are currently working an arrangement with Columbus State University to initiate a program in which SOCM will be a recognized component of a degree or certificate program. Here’s my bottom line though – you should not be seeking SOCM for its college credit. You should be seeking SOCM because you want to train and serve as a special operations medic. It is a stepping stone into a bigger world. Whether the trail you follow is a career in tactical medicine or you go on to become a physician (as many Ranger Medics have), SOCM is designed to be the basic entry-level expectation for a SOF medic. The real deal is the medic you become once you get to your unit. It is a professional gateway into greater professions depending on what you want to do with it. If your interest in SOCM credit is for application to physician assistant school or similar, then no it does not provide the exact prerequisites. You still have to take A&P/Lab and Chemistry that SOCM does not give the right credits for. SOCM A&P covers many other programs, but not the PA program.

2. Initial entry 68W AIT students who volunteer for Airborne and subsequently Rangers attend ABN and then RASP 1. Upon completion of RASP 1, medics complete the Regiment’s Pre-SOCM Program. Pre-SOCM consists of 3 main components: medical fundamentals prep, clinical performance assessment, and physical fitness (along with general performance assessment). A medic must pass each component before being allocated a SOCM slot. We are currently working two options for the academic portion. One is an anatomy & physiology class with Columbus State University and the other is a self-paced reading and test-taking class within the Regiment. It is the same study material either way. NOW, to answer you specific question. When hiring medics from other units, they are generally on TDY to RASP and then return to their unit. They then PCS directly to Ft Bragg to attend the SOCM course. The exceptions are those who may be PCS’ing from an overseas assignment in which RASP is TDY en route to SOCM. In those cases, they go through Pre-SOCM with the AIT candidates. We have not gone so far as to mandate Pre-SOCM for anyone other than initial entry medics. There are two reasons for this: (1) 90% of Ranger Medic candidates are initial entry medics and; (2) most Army-wide recruits have situations similar to you and only desire to PCS. Now, another tidbit is that initial entry medics have a 70% SOCM graduation rate and Army-wide recruited medics have a 45% graduation rate. Do the math. Regardless, the answer to your question is that Army-wide recruited medics are not required to go through Pre-SOCM. They return to their unit and then PCS to Bragg for SOCM.

3. SOCM Attendance is a PCS move except for those already stationed at Ft Bragg. It is your decision whether you want accompanied or unaccompanied. The advice is leave families in place until you complete the course and are headed to a Ranger unit. This is both for fewer moves on families as well as ensuring the medic is focusing more on studying to pass SOCM. In your particular case, you would want to leave your soldier-wife in place at your previous duty station. You would want to focus on her getting an assignment at/near the installation where you will be assigned after SOCM. You have a 6-month PCS waiver as you are attending the SOCM course; she does not. Between Fort Benning, Fort Lewis, and Fort Stewart/Hunter AAF, virtually any Army MOS is employable at those installations. So unless she is a MOS train locomotive engineer or something, she can probably be assigned. We have had cases like these before. With those we actually got the wife on orders and she PCS’d while the Ranger was attending SOCM. The separation timeframe was greatly reduced. This is just something to make clear during your application process.
RngrDoc75
Ranger Medic, 75th RGR Regt
1990-1995 at 1/75
1995 to 2012 at RHQ
2012 to 2015 at USSOCOM
2015 to Present CoTCCC/Joint Trauma System

if you can do the math and have been in the Regt medical team in those years, then you probably know who I am...

Dominatus Comminus Rememdium
"Mastery in Close Combat Medicine"
fritzscorner
US Army

Post by fritzscorner »

Ranger Doc,

Thanks for the reply and information.

Id like to add more but I have an early SP tomorrow. Ill be out of the loop for a bit during elections, When I get time Ill check back in here if you don't mind.

Thanks again Ranger Doc.
SPC 68W10 4/1 AD US ARMY
Currently Serving in Iraq.

Return to “Medical Issues”