Decision Time UPDATED again

Eight weeks of smoke, training & evaluation.
archangel
Tadpole

Decision Time UPDATED again

Post by archangel »

Rangers,
Its been a very long time since Ive posted here. Im facing 2 choices right now and I would ask your advice before making a decision. I can reenlist for RASP or I can reenlist for Ranger School. Normally this would be an easy decision but what I cant get out of my mind is what a RIP instructor said to me before I left RIP in disgrace. "If you want this(pointing to his scroll) you come back with a tab." Ill explain the circumstances of my previous sentance further at the end of this post. I was on the way to RS but I fractured my right leg on the obstacle course at the WTC Pre-Ranger. I still survived Ranger KH, passed the course and I wanted to heal up and wait for the next RS class to start. However, my brigade was deploying in 2 months and told me to come back. Im still deployed and my company is pushing reenlistment for its midterm soldier. My CSM is not willing to send me to RS again if Im going to reenlist for RASP as it is no benefit to them. My question is, do I return to RASP without a tab or do I goto RS and wait another 2 years to reenlist for RASP. Im currently at 6 years and 6 months TIS, 7 years by the time we get back, and I know time is running out. My company wants me to goto the E-6 board but I have been holding out in hopes of pursuing the Regiment. Additionally, I want to get out of Fort Riley, ASAP, for the sake of me and my family. The 6 supports either decision 100% as well as the consequences. Rangers what do you suggest?

Some of you may remember I had reenlisted for RIP once before. I was on the path but made a terrible mistake and it cost me the best opportunity I had yet seen in my Army career. I had a very short but extremely stupid arguement with the RIP instructor. There was ZERO excuse for it and knew damn well better. Leaving RIP without have earned my scroll was one of the most painful experiences of my life. However, I have spent the past 3 years regretting and learning from it. For it, I am a wiser and much matured man. Despite the experience I still yearn for my own Ranger Scroll.
Last edited by archangel on April 18th, 2010, 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
4/1 ID Enbrace the suck.

"When in doubt ATTACK! Cause chaos, panic and confusion. Above all else SHOOT SOMETHING!"
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Decision Time

Post by Slowpoke »

I'm not best one to give advise on the better way to go to acheive your goal, but it would seem to me that if you want to wear the Ranger scroll then go to RASP and get it. As an E-5 import you'll probably be going to School right away.

You've shown a lot of class by coming here and talking straight about what happened at RIP, good luck in your quest!
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

Think about it like this, who ever you argued with is probably not there and probably doesn't remember you anyway. Plus if you graduate RASP you will be headed to Ranger school pretty quick. I don't know about now. but there was no such thing and an 11 series E-5 with out a tab
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Welcome back. I remember you from before. You had a spur of the moment fuck-up & paid the price, but as you know, in this profession little mindfarts can have permanent consequences.
I'm not current but my understanding is that as an E-5, you have to get the tab anyway enroute, before or after RASP I don't know.
I hope you play it right and get your shot at both.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Re-enlist for RASP and the Regiment.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
scar
Ranger

Post by scar »

Baseplate wrote:Think about it like this, who ever you argued with is probably not there and probably doesn't remember you anyway. Plus if you graduate RASP you will be headed to Ranger school pretty quick. I don't know about now. but there was no such thing and an 11 series E-5 with out a tab
Still holds true, you will catch hell when you get to Batt but you will have what you wanted, a scroll and a tab. you will have lots of learning to do in a short amount of time but it sounds like this will be your best bet.
3/75 C 1-1

RS 01-10
archangel
Tadpole

Re: Decision Time UPDATED

Post by archangel »

Update: I requested RASP back in Febuary for reenlistment. There was a long delay in receiving a response due going on leave, the reenlistment NCO taking leave after I returned, and the distance between them and I in our battle space. I received a response this last week and was told that RASP was unavailable because of the Regiment being over strength. In a few days I will be able to request it again, but I expect the same response. My reenlistment NCO has already tried talking to my branch manager, but was also unable to have a positive affect.

Are there any other suggestion or advice? I noticed that the Regiment is seeking soldiers with LRS experience. I had thought of, perhaps, reenlisting for Fort Lewis and seeking assignment to 38th LRS Co. Then after having gained some LRS experience, try for RASP again. Im not sure how realistic an option that is though.
4/1 ID Enbrace the suck.

"When in doubt ATTACK! Cause chaos, panic and confusion. Above all else SHOOT SOMETHING!"
archangel
Tadpole

Re: Decision Time UPDATED again

Post by archangel »

Branch clearified after my REUP NCO was able to talk to them. E-5 and above need to already have a "V" identifier before they can goto RASP. Sucks but atleast now I have better intel.

Suggestions Rangers?
4/1 ID Enbrace the suck.

K.Ingraham
Ranger

Re: Decision Time UPDATED again

Post by K.Ingraham »

You might be able to make it pay by getting your tab TDY enroute to RASP.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’

Return to “About RASP”