Advice please on obtaining OPT40

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

OK..I'll pretend like I haven't seen or heard this a few times.
NoMoreRegrets wrote:Hello. Name is Kyle. I'm a 33 (almost 34) yo father of 2, husband to an amazing wife, and I'm a world-champion desk-jockey, computer programmer for the last 12 years with many great achievements and records, like sitting my ass in front of my computer for more than 24 hours in a single sitting.

I hate what I do for a living. I hated it when I started, and I hate it now. There were a few times that it was enjoyable, like... well, no... come to think of it, it's sucked ass the whole time.

When I was 17 I wanted to join the Army, and join the Rangers. My parents dissuaded me and sent me to college, and so I went. I regretted it, but figured I would just join later. Well, later came, then I was dissuaded by my girlfiend, now wife. Hell, the cold war had wound down, lots of military folk, like my Uncle, were getting forced early retirement, and there didn't seem to be much need. So I forged on doing what I was doing - programming computers.

I regret not joining. I've regretted it even more since 9/11, but I thought I was too old to join then. I've just recently learned that I can join until my 35th birthday, and damnitall, that's what I'm going to do. No way in hell I'm going to be dissuaded by anyone - I will not live the rest of my life with this regret.

I'm shaping up right now - riding the desk doesn't help much in that department. I'm currently scoring mid to upper 50's on a self-adminstered APFT, and as soon as I can raise that to the 70's, I'm signing the enlistment papers. It wasn't too many years ago that I could max the scores in all the events - I can get there again. I'm no stranger to PT and that sweet PT pain. It'll just take me a few months to get fully reacquainted, but I will.

I've been lurking for a few days on these boards. I look forward to interacting with you all.
I'll now pass on my Sage-like advice:
Silverback wrote:OLD MAN! That's what your title will be in The Army. I applaud your venture and admire your computer demonstrated grit. The fact remains that this game is a game of young men and in order to be successful you'll need to compete with those young men for the position you apsire to achieve.

At the RIPE OLD AGE of 37 I am a dinosaur in the Army (All that Ranger stuff scares me) but I also have 20+ years exeperience. You will encounter an enviroment of little to no sympathy and any utterance from you that even resembles an excuse will be crushed.

I recently have experienced problems with a soldier, he is 30 years old and is a Private. He seems to think that due to his age and perceived matrurity that he should be dealt with differently "Than some 18 year old punk". Needless to say he recently suffered a deceleration of rank due to demonstrating disrepect to someone senior (in rank not age)to him.

So as with all noobs I welcome you, but with you I'll add this: There are 10 better abled and more willing men vying for the position you want. So get hungry, stay hungry and prove yourself worthy of a position that will be hard fought for.
ACTION COMPLETE!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

Why is it that civilians always think that this is all about how many friggin situps and pushups they can do. ITS GONNA TAKE A GREAT DEAL MORE THAN THAT BUD, PLUS TIME IS RUNNIN OUT!
Good Frickin Luck Bro!!!

HOW BAD DO YOU WANT IT is all I wanna know? No need to answer me by the way, cause you'll soon find out all on your own.
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

the above statements are true.

you got any college? make sure those transcripts are in your packet if you do.

you got a 99. great.

what you need to do is even in your own statements.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Zzapp wrote:Thanks for the info and pep talk!
Pep Talk?????

The last person I need standing next to me in a gun fight is some geriatric soldier that thinks he's the cat's ass, and couldn't decide what to do with his life. Don't let the slow ebb of testosterone leaving your body fool you into thinking you're 18 again.

The odds are way against you and your probability of failure is higher than your probability of success!

I save my pep talks for men I've lead into combat, not men who are seeking to fufill a lifelong dream of being John Wayne!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

Silverback wrote:
Zzapp wrote:Thanks for the info and pep talk!
Pep Talk?????

The last person I need standing next to me in a gun fight is some geriatric soldier that thinks he's the cat's ass, and couldn't decide what to do with his life. Don't let the slow ebb of testosterone leaving your body fool you into thinking you're 18 again.

The odds are way against you and your probability of failure is higher than your probability of success!

I save my pep talks for men I've lead into combat, not men who are seeking to fufill a lifelong dream of being John Wayne!
LMAO!
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

Zzapp wrote:Well I must admit, no matter what is said - I will interpret it as a Pep Talk.

The underlying meaning does not evade me though.
Does that mean you're not gonna QUIT!?! OR NOW YOU'RE HAVIN DOUBTS ABOUT WHETHER OR NOT YOU CAN HANDLE YOUR LATEST WALTER MITTY QWEST
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

WHAT THE FUCK, GRAMPS!?!?!?!
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Saltbitch

Re: update

Post by Saltbitch »

Zzapp wrote:No doubt having it in the contract is unbeatable.PFC Fraiser, Brian
E-3
Don't be mistaken....having it in a contract is COMPLETELY beatable; just ask all of the Opt40 turds who fail every day. BTW, when the fuck did you become a PFC?! Until you go to basic, your a fucking E-ZERO.
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

Hey Bud there aren't any fucking "Ranger black hats." Airborne instructors are called black hats. Second you won't go to Ranger school until you have spent some time in one of the Ranger Batts. You have a RIP contract nothing in there states that you will attend Ranger school.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99

Return to “Recruitment Process”