bone chip under heel?

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
CardiacKid
Ranger

bone chip under heel?

Post by CardiacKid »

About a month ago I started noticing some pretty localized pain on the bottom center of my right heel. After putting more miles on during the summer months both rucking and running, I've noticed that the heel pain has increased. It's not excruciating by any means, but it is definitely enough to notice while running and the added foot soreness after a 12 miler this morning has really brought it out. I've noticed that when I stand barefooted on a concrete or similar floor, that I can slightly rotate on my heel and feel a definite click/pop and feel something shift in there. It feels fairly solid, almost like the same feeling you would get if you could crack a knuckle back and forth repeatedly.

Any foot pros have any advice? I'm heading off to the PA on Thurs to get it checked out. I'm really hoping this isn't going to involve a profile or surgery to remove it....
MCCC/SFDOQC (2011-present)
2-502 IN (2008-2011)
RS Class 8-08
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Re: bone chip under heel?

Post by Flesh Thorn »

CardiacKid wrote: when I stand barefooted on a concrete or similar floor, that I can slightly rotate on my heel and feel a definite click/pop and feel something shift in there. It feels fairly solid, almost like the same feeling you would get if you could crack a knuckle back and forth repeatedly.
...then don't do that !!! Damn! they will probably have to cut the thing O...F...T...off. Seriously, inflammation will cause shit to pop, click and snap as tissues rub up against each other more than they normally would. Hopefully a week or so of 800 mg ibuprofen will take care of it. Don't worry , as you get older shit like this will happen more and more often.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
CardiacKid
Ranger

Post by CardiacKid »

Right...I was thinking overuse, but the part that got my attention was that this isn't a cracking or popping joint, this is something hard on the underside of my heel bone that is popping independently of my heel. Almost feels as if I have some kind of pebble or something under my heel that I'm flipping back and forth. The other heel has none of this feeling what so ever. I'm hoping surgery is the last option as well. Should have a meeting with the PA tomorrow.
2-502 IN (2008-2011)
RS Class 8-08
dbmtrman
Ranger

Post by dbmtrman »

I'm nor Doctor, but I doubt it is a bone chip. Probably a lot of inflamation and a torn or strained tendon on the bottom of the foot. You might also have a bone spur on the bottom of your foot, that is rubbing on one of the tendons. That is what I had a few years back, and after about 3 months rehabbing it healed. Good Luck
RLTW!
RS 4/85
B Co. 1/75 84-86, HAAF
HQ 11 SFG (USAR) 86-87

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
CardiacKid
Ranger

Post by CardiacKid »

Yep. X Rays came back normal, but it's still popping back and forth and more irritation now. The PA put me on 800mg motrins/ibuprofin for 2 weeks and told me to come talk to him after that. I've been on it for a week now and it's only gotten worse, so we'll see.
2-502 IN (2008-2011)
RS Class 8-08
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

You could have a cyst of some sort. I got one of those and had to get it cut out. I thought it was a bone spur as well. Turns out that overuse can cause the cyst to form on the end of the bone.

You may want to take a few weeks off running. I know that sounds unconscionable, but there it is.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
CardiacKid
Ranger

Post by CardiacKid »

Thanks guys. I'm going to give it a little rest and switch over to the exercise bike and see how things work out. This new PA is fresh out of school, but he seems like a good guy. The last one was horrible and told one of my corporals there was nothing wrong with his ankle after he rolled it, only to find out months later that it was fractured in a couple of places. This injury just feels so odd. The area in question seems to have only become larger and sligtly more painful over the past couple of weeks, so I'm just at a loss for what it could be.
2-502 IN (2008-2011)
RS Class 8-08
CardiacKid
Ranger

Post by CardiacKid »

Gahhh I get your point. I just hate this shit. It's like every time I start to feel more and more improvement in my PT, I get checked by something. I hate resting because I'm one of those guys who really has to work at running. I can ruck and lift shit no problem, but running has been the bane of my existence in the Army.
2-502 IN (2008-2011)
RS Class 8-08
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

CardiacKid wrote: I hate resting because I'm one of those guys who really has to work at running.
You may be surprised at what a couple weeks rest will do for your running, not to mention your injury, especially if you have a tendency to over-train.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:

Return to “Medical Issues”