Hand to Hand Combat.

Hand to Hand, Combative Skills, etc...
ChipOnShoulder

Hand to Hand Combat.

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

The need: h2h effective system for the Ranger Regiment as a whole.

The Solution: Go on down to Alpine pawn and Gun and purchase a Mil Spec. Springflield 1911 an carry that son of a bitch at the bottom of your aid bag like I did for 3 1/2 years. You can go up against Gracie himself and the old 1911 wins every time. Instant Black Belt for about $550 dollars.

"Wonder why Doc ain't here for h2h training"

Russ "Doc" Cook
ChipOnShoulder

H2H

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

When ever it looked as though were going someplace ugly, which we never did, the .45 would come out. Concealed well but easily accesable. There was also a vintage mint LF & Co trench knife I sometimes carried as well. I chose to carry those two devestating close combat weapons due to the WRITTEN ACCOUNTS of veterens from WWI - Vietnam. As well as the old training manuals and fottage of these weapons being used. Accounts of trench warfare when the .45 and trench knife would give the doughboy a considerable edge over the Germans. Or a Marine in the South Pacific when a Japanese soldier was bearing down on him with a sword or barhanded using japanese martial arts with the result being the Marine left unscathed and the Japanese soldier being shot to death at close range.
My point is we need to look to the past wars for answers to what works the best and not towards crackpot martial arts some guy thinks is the best. They might be the best in an ultimate fighting championship, dojo, or PT field but they might not stack up too well against a knuckle duster and/or .45
As far as being disrespectfull, I am a realist and I am not going to have some kid reading these posts believing that bear handed is better than pistol handed like those who were in power when I was in the Army.
IE: Not everyone had sidearms because it was not in the "MTOE" or budget or whatever the hell the "heads" called it.

Doc Cook
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

All "martial artists" become VERY docile when stairing down the barrel of a gun, specially when the guy holding the gun looks like he would love to use it. If you don't have a gun, pool balls are excellant. Most any Little Leaguer can be VERY lethal.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
ChipOnShoulder

Poll of common sense.

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

If you were in a world of shit which weapon would you chose:

A: Your hands.
B: Your hands and feet.
C: .45 with 6 full magazines.
D: Wrestling and Grappling.

All are invited to this poll, even Commies, Hajis, and other assorted bad guys.

Doc Cook
GreyRanger
Ranger

Re: Poll of common sense.

Post by GreyRanger »

Doc Cook wrote:If you were in a world of shit which weapon would you chose:

A: Your hands.
B: Your hands and feet.
C: .45 with 6 full magazines.
D: Wrestling and Grappling.

All are invited to this poll, even Commies, Hajis, and other assorted bad guys.

Doc Cook
Doc,

If those are my only choices, I would have to go with C. While I train with all 4, I also train with my shotgun, carbine, and rifle, and would prefer to engage farther than the .45 effective range if I had a choice. The point you bring up though, is the one I have trouble conveying to my most bone-headed martial arts students- You always initiate contact with your most casualty producing weapon!
Greyranger
A/3/75 RGR (1st,2nd,Wpns) 87-93

CLASS 3-89 (White Thread Baby!)

...Safety first is the road to ruin in war. -Winston Churchill
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

I know of very few times that you are without some kind of weapon. Your helmet could even be a weapon. H2H has its uses but avoiding the fight is always the best course. Even winning you can get fucked up and end up in jail.

I know some people who are always putting themselves at risk just because they are stupid and aren't aware of what is going on around them. Most Rangers are aware and either it is there choice to fight or they avoid bad situations just because they are aware of what is going on around them.

What is a fight with H2H going to prove anyway?

In combat you always have a weapon, your empty weapon, to your E-tool or whatever you can grab. Now knowing pressure points and body weak points is good training.

Ranger2
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

I agree with Doc. Why break a sweat when you can just pull the trigger without having to put down your beer.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

w6 wrote:Your post just seems disrepectfull, IMO.
You are 'danger-close' to the textbook definition....be advised.
ChipOnShoulder

.45's

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

Scholars and gentleman,

.45's over barehanded seems to be the most popular answer. But all the same, the true expert is Col. Lewis Millet. He is in the Ranger Hall of Fame and his story is worth looking into. He is the ultimate when it comes to h2h, .45's and just gettin' nasty when it comes to dealing with bad guys. Too bad he did not make General. Probably would have rivaled Patton in tenacity. He was in WWII, Korea, an advisor in Vietnam, and pinned 1st. Lt. Bars on my PL who was my age while assigned as the honorary Col. of the 25th in Hawaii. So I guess that is three generations of Army. I am not going to spoil the account on how he earned his medal of honor in Korea but if you ask me he should be advising h2h for the Rangers not some utimate fighting champion at the tune of several hundred thousand dollars. Especially since that money COULD BE USED ON PURCHASING .45's!!!!!!!!

As for the .45 my favorate ammo is Remington Golden sabres.

Lots of TLC,

Doc Cook
Saltbitch

Re: .45's

Post by Saltbitch »

Doc Cook wrote:As for the .45 my favorate ammo is Remington Golden sabres.
Hell yeah!! Everyone else always answers 'HydroShoks' or some other shit...Golden Sabres are where it's at!!
Parabellum
Ranger

Re: .45's

Post by Parabellum »

Saltbitch wrote:
Doc Cook wrote:As for the .45 my favorate ammo is Remington Golden sabres.
Hell yeah!! Everyone else always answers 'HydroShoks' or some other shit...Golden Sabres are where it's at!!
HEY! HEY! I like hydroshocks. Blew a fist size hole in a hog with one.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99

Return to “Close Combat”