Rangers.

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
Just a parent
Tadpole

Rangers.

Post by Just a parent »

Rangers; I have what some of you may think is a stupid question. It involves the definition of a Ranger. What do you Rangers consider a Ranger? One who is in the 75th, and wears the scroll, one who has been through Ranger School and wears a tab, or is both required? I mean no disrespect to anyone and humbly request a simple answer. This subject has come up in conversation with my youngest son, who is in the 3/75th. He is very reluctant to discuss anything to do with Rangers with me. I do my best to understand and don't want to raise any questions that would be sensitive as far as Opsec is concerned. You men can feel free to tell me STFU any time, you aren't going to bother me with anything you say. I have many questions, but some may be stupid in nature.
Thanks.
Proud Father of three; one in the 3/75; one Navy Special Forces; and one a doctor.

Thank You to all that serve, and that have served our country.
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Re: Rangers.

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Just a parent wrote:Rangers; I have what some of you may think is a stupid question. It involves the definition of a Ranger. What do you Rangers consider a Ranger? One who is in the 75th, and wears the scroll, one who has been through Ranger School and wears a tab, or is both required? I mean no disrespect to anyone and humbly request a simple answer. This subject has come up in conversation with my youngest son, who is in the 3/75th. He is very reluctant to discuss anything to do with Rangers with me. I do my best to understand and don't want to raise any questions that would be sensitive as far as Opsec is concerned. You men can feel free to tell me STFU any time, you aren't going to bother me with anything you say. I have many questions, but some may be stupid in nature.
Thanks.
Ask your questions anytime. If anyone gets their panties in a wad...its the internet. 8)

Here is the deal. Men who have served with the Regiment (like your son) and dont have a tab have every right to call themsleves Rangers. In some eyes, it is damned sure a tougher proving ground than Ranger School. (MY OPINION) Many, if not most will agree with this.

Contrast this with the Officer who serves in a rear echelon unit, non combative and goes to Ranger School. He sends 59 days doing the Ranger thing, is awarded the tab. Goes back to his 9-5 job, calls himself a "RANGER". In theory if not title, he can... however most of us merely agree he is Ranger Qualified by virtue of having attended the school, checking the blocks and being awarded his tab.

Some would say Ranger School is just that....a school, The Regiment a way of life. Personally, Id take a non tabbed Ranger out of Regiment and charge hell with gasoline pants on before a tabbed non Regiment guy. The simple WHY is....because if he spent time in Regiment, he knows his shit. He has been trained, he stuck to it and he will be competent. The tabbed guy MAY be....but Id have to check before Id make a no look declaration.

My opinion, Sir....
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Caruthers
Ranger

Post by Caruthers »

Big ass can o worms..............................Those that were Rangers before "Ranger School" are and will always be Rangers. Ranger School is a gawd awlfull gut check on leadership/followership...........with all the MEN there. I am proud to have done both. I grew up in Batt and "Matured" after Ranger School.

I had the pleasure of serving with Rangers that got RSF'ed for stupid little things...............They are still Rangers in my eyes. If a man can get to Batt. Stay for good while..............he will be a Ranger for life.
"When injustice becomes Law, resistance becomes duty"

Thomas Jefferson

Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves.”
- Norm Franz
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

Colin Powell, Eric Shinseki and Wesley Clark are all Ranger Qualified

David Grange, Mariano Leon-Guerrero and Wayne Downing are Rangers
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

I need to begin by saying that I never served in the 75th Ranger Regiment. Having been around a couple days, my opinion reflects that the tab is just a school. The scroll is a way of life. Each has its place.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

You're actually asking a couple of questions without realizing it.

First the difference between "Tabbed Rangers" and "Scroll Rangers" has already been addressed.

What has not been addressed is attendance of the Ranger course by Rangers within the Regiment. Upon Completion of RIP and assignment to a Battalion a Soldier becomes a Ranger. The "Time in Battalion" question has often been explored as to how long (if there is a quantifiable period) a Ranger needs to be assigned in order to be considered a Ranger, the normal consensus is upon graduation of RIP and assignment to a battalion. There have also been discussions about whether or not "Normal progression" within the Regiment should result in being a graduate of Ranger school. Which has often been the bench mark for a Ranger to become a Ranger Leader.

"Normal Progression" in any unit should result in a Soldier becoming at least a Fire team leader within the initial term of a normal 3-4 year enlistment. So as you can probably see there are a lot of unwritten standards and people often use them as they fit their particular situation.

If a person were to serve as a Welder for two years would they be labeled a welder for the rest of their life?

"Normal" and "Should" are very subjective terms and their use should indicate the sensitivity of this conversation.

Graduate of Ranger Class 2-87
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

You're reading the miniutea that we like to argue behind the doors.
Fact is, in general useage, inside and outside the Army, both unit & tabbed Rangers are "Rangers". Don't get wrapped up about it - so long as you don't call a poser a 'ranger' :twisted:
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”