This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

miller74md
USMC Recon/ Ranger

USMC 3rd Recon Bat. Intro

Post by miller74md »

Greetings all.

I served active duty USMC from '92-'96.

MCRD Paris Island, 0311 (basic infantry) originally, 0321 ultimately. After School of Infantry I did the indoc for a reconnaissance assignment.

First (and last) duty station was Delta Co. 3rd Recon Batt, Okinawa. I extended my overseas tour every year to stay with my unit. 3rd Recon Batt went from Batt to Company to Division and several other different versions over the course of my 4 years. My platoon went from a recon platoon to being assigned to SOTG as a Direct Action Platoon. I was an explosive entry breacher and shooter for the DAP.

After my stint assigned to SOTG/DAP I went to Airborne School at Ft. Benning, GA. I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time in the right neighborhood and worked into an open slot at Ranger School. I graduated straight through with class 7-94. I consider myself very fortunate having been through Ranger School. Only a select few Marines are ever given the opportunity.

I went back to Oki and spent the remainder of my enlistment in the Reconnaissance Indoctrination Platoon (RIP) training new Recon Marines.

I didn't want to go to the Drill Field and didn't want to go to Recruiting. Neither are a good fit for me. I'd blown out my knee jumping out of planes and couldn't see doing anything different from an MOS.

I left the Marine Corps and worked as a civilian paramedic and eventually full-time fire fighter. I'm a Captain now in charge of fire investigations and the local Union President. All my success, I attribute equally to my Marine Corps and my Ranger tab.

Long strange trip it's been someone once said. Semper Fi.
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Re: USMC 3rd Recon Bat. Intro

Post by Ranger Ron »

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com, Ranger Marine. Thanks for you service to our great country!
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: miller74md - USMC 3rd Recon Bat. Intro

Post by Steadfast »

Welcome Ranger.

PM (Private Message) inbound.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Welcome to the site!

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
The Surgeon
Ranger

Post by The Surgeon »

welcome and thanks for your service!
Bco 3/75
rgrwest
Ranger

Post by rgrwest »

Welcome Ranger Jarhead!
Rgrwest
RC 13-87
C Co, 1-504 PIR, 84-89
B Co, 5th RTB, 89-92
A, 1-501 (ABN), 93-95
C, 2-11 INF (IOBC), 95-98
HHC, 1-509 PIR, 98-02
USASMA, 02- Instructor
OIF I - Feb 03-Jul 03 (Attached OPS SGM)
USASMA, 04 - Student
HHC, 1-30 INF, 3-3 ID, 04-06 (OPS SGM)
OPSGRP, JRTC, 06-07 (TF SGM)
G3, SETAF (Vicenza, Italy) 07-09 (G3 SGM)
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

Welcome to the site. We have a few Recon Marines here on the board. You might even recognize some of them as your former PSG's.
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Welcome!
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
RAT
BANNED

Post by RAT »

Only a hand full of Marines went to Ranger School at this time. I was there Bn, Det, and Div from 90 to 95. We served together and I still have all the Alpha Rosters from Sept 1990 to Feb 1995.

The only person I know who would have been to Ranger School at that time went by Grino. His counter part from Bco / 9th Marines did a Crazy Ivan... We still have a number of people from the Div Co that still keep intouch with each other.

This is RAT. You should know me if this is who I think it is. If not this is NOT the place to pose. I do hope this is Grino. We have been looking for you for a while now.

RO!!!
RAT
BANNED

Post by RAT »

Nomad wrote:Welcome to the site. We have a few Recon Marines here on the board. You might even recognize some of them as your former PSG's.
I am NOT that old.

RO!!!
RAT
BANNED

Post by RAT »

I am a DUMB ass.... It says Miller. Duh... Not Grino. OK who were your buddies that you hung out with. LOL...

Drop me a line I will catch you up with everyone. LOL

RO!!!
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

RAT wrote:I am a DUMB ass.... It says Miller.
That's OK, Brother. Miller kind of rhymes with Grino.....in a Marine kind of way. :wink: :lol:

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
RAT
BANNED

Post by RAT »

EarthPig wrote:
RAT wrote:I am a DUMB ass.... It says Miller.
That's OK, Brother. Miller kind of rhymes with Grino.....in a Marine kind of way. :wink: :lol:

RLTW
EP
HAHAHAHA... I can't wait till Memorial Day. hahahahaha

Going back to my closet. :lol:

RO!!!
miller74md
USMC Recon/ Ranger

Post by miller74md »

Thanks for the welcome aboard. Kinda...lol. Never had so many people question me or my tab.

I don't remember you Rat or at least as the nickname Rat but, I think I went before Peligrino actually. The only Ranger in the unit before I went was Szabo and the early Plt Sgt that fell off the stairs drunk and splattered his mellon/broke his arm that I cant remember is name at the moment. It was me, then Grino, then Yasser (sp?) or something, then Hemphill. Hader went in there sometime too but he dropped as a heat casualty during the ruck march to Darby. I half forget the Yasser guys name but I think that was it. He was from KY or something. Kinda a good 'ol boy. I ran into him just as we were leaving Florida and he was cycling in I think it was before I graduated.

Who did I hang out with? Probably Koch, Hemphill (I was in his wedding in FL), Perno, Senecal, and Roasrio. I didnt run around along with Borden, Stare, Brady, etc the gang that went down south a lot but we lived on the same floor and were in the DAP for awhile. Lanzilotta and Maddox were also in the DAP. Again, basically Delta Company under Lt. Wiesnewski. I came in after the hayday of the Batt. going to the PI and during the disbanding/going to Division cluster fu*K. I spent the better part of 3 1/2 years there, minus Airborne and Ranger schools that is. Hell I even took leave ON THE ISLAND.

Dont worry, I earned my MOS, I earned wings, and I earned my tab.

You guys are something else.

Return to “Introduction Archive”