Ammo... WHere to buy and what to get

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
3/75 LandWarrior
Ranger

Ammo... WHere to buy and what to get

Post by 3/75 LandWarrior »

I just got my firs AR together and now I'm looking for AMMO. You guys got any suggestions or outlets that you order from.

5.56 / .223 I'm not sure where to get it or what to avoid. I'm in NH and all the shops seem to be out of it or extremely overpriced if you can find any. I've browsed the big sites but i'm not sure what I need to steer clear of. I found to 75. gr match ammo on weindeners, but not sure if that will work for me. I'm just going to be screwing around at the range 50-300 yds most of the time.

Any insight and ammo connections are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
service- AUG98- DEC02

DEC 1998- MAY 2001 3/75 C co. 3rd PLT

MAY 2001- DEC 2002 TSM-Soldier working on Land warrior, SEP, prototype weapons in PEO-soldier.
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Re: Ammo... WHere to buy and what to get

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Cabella's on line

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.georgiaarms.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

I fixed the Georgia Arms link.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

I like these guys http://www.outdoormarksman.com/index.php?cPath=65_63_33 WHEN they have wolf. Unfortunately they have been out for quite sometime.

I bought some good usa made local stuff here awhile back for $345/1000, which at the time I considered a good price. Food for thought/comparison
Trigger
Tadpole

Post by Trigger »

Ranger 3/75 land warrior:

Some good online retailers:

Aimsurplus.com (good prices on surplus, remanufactured, and wolf/Russian ammo)
Wideners.com
MidwayUSA.com (very wide selection of ammo, decent prices, and great service)

If you're looking for absolute precision (and terminal performance), it's hard to beat 69gr. to 75gr. loads from Black Hills, Hornady, and the like. Black Hills makes that Mk262 that everyone in the military seems to love. This stuff is top notch but can easily cost $1/round.

If you're looking for reasonably priced (well, as reasonable as you can call today's prices) and decent quality ammo, Winchester, Remington, Federal, and the like make 55gr. FMJ rounds that are decent for target shooting. Good enough to make hits on reasonable sized steel at the ranges you specified and good enough to practice on paper within a 100 yards; but don't expect sub-moa accuracy (while possible, it's not likely). You can also get PSP (pointed soft point) and several other types of bonded projectiles with better terminal performance, but you'll pay more for it. $350-$400/1000 for FMJ's is typical prices today.

There are some manufacturers (Privi Partizan) out there making M193 or M855, which quality wise is in the ball park of the Winchester or Remington 55gr. FMJ loads.

If you're looking for really cheap "blaster" ammo, look at Wolf, silver bear, and what not. Aimsurplus.com is the place for this stuff. Don't expect it to be very accurate - 4'' off the bench out of a normally sub-moa weapon is to be expected. Some of it has a lacquer that will gum up the chamber if not scrubbed out (which is a PITA). Some people absolutely hate Wolf (dirty, inaccurate, and some believe that the steel case is hard on the weapon), some people love it (for it's price). It all depends what your expectation of reliability, cleanliness, and accuracy are. This stuff can be found as long as $300/1000.

Right now ammo is at an all time high and can be extremely difficult to find in stock, especially .223/5.56.

- Trigger
Last edited by Trigger on March 26th, 2009, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range." - Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper (ret).
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

http://www.ammomman.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Free shipping.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
3/75 LandWarrior
Ranger

Post by 3/75 LandWarrior »

thanks to all,

I ended up going with 800 rounds from cabellas, because they said it was in stock and could ship ASAP so that will get me out to the range. I'll start to skulk around for some other deals to set myself up with some more now that this is on the way. I'm not looking to shoot complete junk and I think i'll stay away from the steel cased "bargain bin" stuff for now.

As soon as it comes in Zombies beware.
service- AUG98- DEC02

DEC 1998- MAY 2001 3/75 C co. 3rd PLT

MAY 2001- DEC 2002 TSM-Soldier working on Land warrior, SEP, prototype weapons in PEO-soldier.

Return to “Weapons of War”