awww hell

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
Grifter
Ranger

Re: awww hell

Post by Grifter »

My process is slow..I HAD to pick up the ArmyRanger.com lower in the process..which set me back a lil while..

So next question..Is crome lining in a barrel all that special..Is It really worth the extra cash..

DSA inc outta illinois is offering complete M4 flattop uppers (minus bolt, carrier and charger) for 275...or with crome lined barrel for 325.. most of the other major sites i have been watching are starting at their basic packages at the 325 price range..

input?
Jan 00-Dec 03
1/75th C-2 / HHC SNOT.
OEF/OIF
RS Class 06-01
Black to Tan Change-over Ranger
MI Glenn English Base of USARA
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Chrome is one of those holy grail topics. It offers higher durability and time between cleanings than straight steel, but there are those who believe it impacts accuracy. If you are building a tack driver, you need to do a little research. I tend to lean towards straight steel. If you are building a carbine, chrome is likely the best way to go.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Grifter
Ranger

Post by Grifter »

hmm thanks for the short and quick X.

truth be told ..for as long as i have been finger fricking these lowers... I havent really decided which lower will become the tack driver and which will become the carbine yet. much less which one i will build first. hell I havent gotten past making the decision as to whether or not I want to file the BATFE paperwork and make the carbine a 14.5er..

At the moment I just need to get one of these two built..
Jan 00-Dec 03
1/75th C-2 / HHC SNOT.
OEF/OIF
RS Class 06-01
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

Grifter wrote:Go Flippin figure.

History: every month my FD takes 26 bucks outta my pay and throws it in what they call a clothing allotment acct. Which is in my name and I can draw on whenever I feel the need. Its a slow saving process but I finally amassed a little fortune in there and matched it w/ some savings and I had decided to pursue parts for building my AR.

Naturally I go to start the ordering process and what do I find but damn lowers are anything but available and it appears the prices have changed a bit since I last looked in november. Suck..

Lucky me its a rain day tomorrow and the big gun show is on town, looks like I'll take my lil nest egg there and see what I can find.

Looks like the gun crowd really thinks the new Pres is going to go after their toys huh?
How about keeping this thread aprised of the parts you're going to put into your project and why. I'd like to build one also, but I'm not nearly the firearms expert most of you guys are.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

I'll post a picture and a parts list shortly. FYI, if you want to REALLY build it, from parts, the ground up, and all that, the best starting point is http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I built mine from parts based on the information available there.

Edit-

Build post here: http://forum.armyranger.com/viewtopic.p ... 59#p648859" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by RangerX on April 29th, 2010, 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

RangerX wrote:I'll post a picture and a parts list shortly. FYI, if you want to REALLY build it, from parts, the ground up, and all that, the best starting point is http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I built mine from parts based on the information available there.
Thanks. Great site. I can see yet one more hobby with which an obsession could keep you broke for the next umpteen years. :)
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

DEC wrote:
Grifter wrote:
BATFE paperwork and make the carbine a 14.5er..
Ranger Grifter, does it matter to you if the barrel is at 14.5"? Because you can have a 14" barrel with a 2" flash suppressor and this is considered still within the 16" barrel requirement before having to pay the tax
For that to be true, I believe the flash suppressor has to be welded on to the barrel.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

DEC wrote:I was told this info by a local gunsmith who specializes in AR-15s. I'll go back and confirm with them. Seems to me though unless an ATF agent is knocking on your door, its hard to say what exactly is illegal or not especially in little details like wielded or not.
By that logic it is OK to convert to full auto as long as the ATF isn't knocking on your door.

The law specifically states that any barrel under 16 inches and any rifle with an overall length of 26 inches is considered an SBR. The 16 inches can include a permanently fixed compensator or flash suppressor.

It's not hard at all to determine "what exactly is illegal". It is pretty clearly defined in the original legislation, and there have been plenty of cases that argue just about every aspect of the NFA and FOPA. This is not a game worth playing. Punishment of up to 10 years in prison and $100,000 per incident are pretty painful to "look cool" at the range.

Just fill out the forms and pay your taxes, then curse the legislators that passed FOPA '86 for making Class III so fricken' expensive.
Last edited by RangerX on April 23rd, 2010, 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

DEC wrote:I was told this info by a local gunsmith who specializes in AR-15s. I'll go back and confirm with them. Seems to me though unless an ATF agent is knocking on your door, its hard to say what exactly is illegal or not especially in little details like wielded or not.
First of all embryo, who are you addressing with this post? I'm thinking it was Ranger X but now I'm not sure if it was just one of your buddies.

Secondly, sure, it may seem like it's not important, until you have to use the weapon, and then it's taken from you by people like me and gone over with a fine tooth comb to make sure it's compliant and legally owned/operated.

Good shoot? Legal weapon? No worries. Good shoot, illegal weapon, you're up the creek for protecting your own family and now they're left high and dry with no one to look out for them.

See how it escalates bud? Something to think about.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Grifter
Ranger

Post by Grifter »

Hobbit: Since you asked I figured I would post up some of the details..

Lower # 1, came from Essential Arms in Louisiana, it included a full lower parts kit (since I bought it on a group by with a couple LE's the armorer "set up" the trigger's "real nice" for us/ I am not sure what "real nice" means but WTF?). No buttstock. 200 bones

Tapco Collapsable buttstock from a local outdoor supply store for 60.

Bare mil spec A3 upper at a local gun show for 150 (way overprices paperweight/ future upper for my ArmyRanger.com tackdriver).

I recently placed an order for a DSA Arms A3 upper assembly with 16" barrel, M4 handgaurds, front site post and A2 flashhider (found in a shotgun news add, from DSA for 250)..Delivery is supposed to be a couple weeks out cuz they are in "high demand" ) does not include a charging handle, bolt or bolt carrier.

Lower # 2, ArmyRanger.com special. As of yet unmolested and bare useless but beautiful paperweight.

Almost there, At the moment pending delivery of the assembled upper I figure I am roughly 350 bucks (due to my penchant for chromed bolt and carrier) away from having a operating M4 weapon system here at home. Which means my first one will come to a grand total of 830 bucks.
Jan 00-Dec 03
1/75th C-2 / HHC SNOT.
OEF/OIF
RS Class 06-01
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

Grifter wrote:Hobbit: Since you asked I figured I would post up some of the details..

Lower # 1, came from Essential Arms in Louisiana, it included a full lower parts kit (since I bought it on a group by with a couple LE's the armorer "set up" the trigger's "real nice" for us/ I am not sure what "real nice" means but WTF?). No buttstock. 200 bones

Tapco Collapsable buttstock from a local outdoor supply store for 60.

Bare mil spec A3 upper at a local gun show for 150 (way overprices paperweight/ future upper for my ArmyRanger.com tackdriver).

I recently placed an order for a DSA Arms A3 upper assembly with 16" barrel, M4 handgaurds, front site post and A2 flashhider (found in a shotgun news add, from DSA for 250)..Delivery is supposed to be a couple weeks out cuz they are in "high demand" ) does not include a charging handle, bolt or bolt carrier.

Lower # 2, ArmyRanger.com special. As of yet unmolested and bare useless but beautiful paperweight.

Almost there, At the moment pending delivery of the assembled upper I figure I am roughly 350 bucks (due to my penchant for chromed bolt and carrier) away from having a operating M4 weapon system here at home. Which means my first one will come to a grand total of 830 bucks.
Wow. That's pretty reasonable. I haven't owned a rifle in quite some time (though I stay well stocked with handguns and a 12 guage). I've really been feeling the need however, since I have one of the nicest rifle ranges in Southern Colorado just 1.5 miles down the 160 from where I live. Can't believe what our local shooting clubs want for memberships though. Yikes.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

hobbit wrote:Can't believe what our local shooting clubs want for memberships though. Yikes.
I used to shoot on a couple of our state public ranges. After a while, between the militia nutbags and the homies from the ATL with their gats, I decided that the fees the range I am now a member of seemed relatively worth it. You know, to keep the riff raff out.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Grifter
Ranger

Post by Grifter »

RangerX wrote:
hobbit wrote:Can't believe what our local shooting clubs want for memberships though. Yikes.
I used to shoot on a couple of our state public ranges. After a while, between the militia nutbags and the homies from the ATL with their gats, I decided that the fees the range I am now a member of seemed relatively worth it. You know, to keep the riff raff out.
Hey those Are the guys that are keeping it interesting..if we didnt have gangbangers and militia members mixing it up at the range then the state would close all the ranges they dont "man" (staff) a post at regularly..atleast here in MI..

We had some very interesting times at the local state range down outside Savannah when I was in..once ran into a 14-16 yr old, who drove himself out there with a pistol he had purchased on the street downtown. some rinkiy dinky chrome peice..We ceased firing so he could set up his targets...he walked all the way out to the 50 meter berm laid his target at its base, then returned to the firing line and attempted to hit it while shooting gangbanger style..then the chrome peice stove piped and he asked us how to fix it..then we started asking how old he was and he got aweful pissy real quick..we ended up taking up positions behind our vehicles while he drove past us on his way home..fuking weird..

More recently I have heard that the michigan militia has been using our local state range..Heard about an "old greasy poor looking creepy guy" who pulled up and backed his pedofile type fullsize van up to the range.. threw open the back doors and climbed inside..next thing my buddy knows the range is getting hemmed up by full auto heavy caliber rounds and the van is rocking all over the place..Mounted inside..an unnamed heavy machine gun of unknown origin.
Jan 00-Dec 03
1/75th C-2 / HHC SNOT.
OEF/OIF
RS Class 06-01

Return to “Weapons of War”