Change to Contract

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
hit-the-lights
Embryo

Change to Contract

Post by hit-the-lights »

SFC Hit_it, Rangers, Veterans, or others that may be familiar with recruitment/contracting ins and outs,

I joined the Reserves recently. I am pre BCT and AIT. I also recently lost my job. I am trying to change my contract ASAP to AD, 11x/Abn/Opt. 40.

My recruiter tells me that the it doesn't matter if I reno my contract or DEP-loss/sign new contract, the process will be the same (meaning that I have to be released from my unit by a B. Gen. which can take 6 weeks+ before I will be able to re-contract). Is my recruiter lying to me, or will the DEP-loss/sign new contract option be much faster? Am I realistically looking at 2 months before I can sign a new contract?

I figure that he just doesn't want me to screw up his numbers... problem is, that I need to earn a living!

I am taking advantage of this time off to PT my ass off to prepare for RIP.

Help is appreciated, and sorry for the long post.
Luck is the residue of hard work.

18X Recruit
Ship Date: 20091006
hit_it
Paratrooper

Re: Change to Contract

Post by hit_it »

if this recruiter doesn't have the connections to get you out of the reserves in less than the time he stated, he's not a very good recruiter. but anyway, you will have to be released in order to go active. You could feasibly dep loss, but then you would have to wait until that debacle is fixed and the USAR has dropped you in order to enlist AD. My suggestion is to talk to him, get the paperwork, go through your unit to get this done yourself.

As far as who signs it, it does have to be the RRC commander. So it is either a COL or maybe a BG. Doesn't mean it takes 6 weeks.

Here's my final thought. If you need a job now, and you want an option 40 what if you enlisted today with it but you didn't ship for 6 weeks?
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
hit-the-lights
Embryo

Post by hit-the-lights »

SFC Hit_it,

Thank you for the quick reply and insight into the situation that I've created for myself.
hit_it wrote:My suggestion is to talk to him, get the paperwork, go through your unit to get this done yourself.
SFC Hit_it, will contact my UA today.
hit_it wrote:Here's my final thought. If you need a job now, and you want an option 40 what if you enlisted today with it but you didn't ship for 6 weeks?
I don't want to be dishonest with a potential employer as to my intentions, (i.e. quitting in the near future) so I am looking for temp work. I might have an 'in' with a warehouse near my home.

18X Recruit
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Warehouse is good. Lifting weights and working on your feet.
Trash collection is better. Seriously, look into it. Private trash collection firms are used to rapid, sudden employee turnover so they don't need to know you don't intend to remain. They're happy to have someone who isn't an ex-felon working from a halfway house.
It's good for helping you make the transformation from civvie to soldier. You get up around the time most people go to bed (same as in OSUT), sling heavy weights in all weather - same as an infantryman. Low social status and lack of respect, same as a cherry private.
Builds calluses on your hands and feet.

Don't neglect running - in all weather.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

hit-the-lights wrote: I don't want to be dishonest with a potential employer as to my intentions, (i.e. quitting in the near future) so I am looking for temp work. I might have an 'in' with a warehouse near my home.
What state are you, or what major city is nearest?
hit-the-lights
Embryo

Post by hit-the-lights »

Invictus wrote:
hit-the-lights wrote: I don't want to be dishonest with a potential employer as to my intentions, (i.e. quitting in the near future) so I am looking for temp work. I might have an 'in' with a warehouse near my home.
What state are you, or what major city is nearest?
Ranger Invictus,

I am in Denver.

18X Recruit
hit-the-lights
Embryo

Post by hit-the-lights »

SITREP

Just spoke with my recruiter. My unit release came through (368 I believe) today, but he says that the USAR still won't release me. He told me to just push through BCT & AIT, then put in transfer for a Reserve infantry unit... I told him that the Reserves do not offer combat arms. Then he mentioned something about Reserve SF units, but I want 11x/Opt. 40.

Being patient and sitting tight. Good news, I am working full-time in a warehouse as a temp.

18X Recruit
JarHedSolja
Tadpole

Post by JarHedSolja »

I'm fairly certain the only non-active SF units are in the National Guard, as well as infantry units. Though I did hear there was an Army Reserve infantry unit out of Hawaii.
1999-2001 USMC
2003-2006 1-148th INF (M)
2006-2009 585th MP Co
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

JarHedSolja wrote:I'm fairly certain the only non-active SF units are in the National Guard, as well as infantry units. Though I did hear there was an Army Reserve infantry unit out of Hawaii.
100th Bn, 442 Infantry.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... -442in.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
hit-the-lights
Embryo

Post by hit-the-lights »

SFC Hit_it & Rangers,

I was finally released from the reserves 2 weeks ago. Today I reserved an 18x slot and look forward to the challenges ahead. The nearest slot that I could get was in October, but that will give me time to get into better shape. Current PT results are below and followed by my goals:
72 p/u's to 110
86 s/u's to 115
14 c/u's to 25
14:11 run to under 13:00 min

I'm currently follwing a 100 pushup plan and working interval training into my runs along with my regular training regimen.

Thanks for the support here on ArmyRanger.com.

Eric

18X Recruit
hit-the-lights
Embryo

Post by hit-the-lights »

JLTW!!! wrote:Why 18x now instead of Opt40, especially after all the initial squawking about it?

Also, who the fuck is grading your PT tests and ensuring that you're performing each rep to standard?

You got the contract, the rest is on you.........
Ranger JLTW!!!,

No 11x/Opt. 40's in the system over the past 2 weeks and the 18x ship dates kept jumping back. Being unemployed, I wanted to nail down a ship date asap. Nothing signed yet --- DLAB Thursday, contracting Friday.

Self-graded PT test.

18X Recruit
hit-the-lights
Embryo

Post by hit-the-lights »

[/quote]
So, if you haven't signed anything yet, my question is: Do you really want to go SF, or is it more b/c it is high speed and you don't currently have a job? Or do you still want the Opt 40 but your taking what they have now? Both are noble jobs, but in my mind, job or not, you ought to hold out for what you truly want.

As far as your PT, keep it up. I initially misread your current vs. goals and called BS, but I see you have decent scores (work on your run!) and it's always good to have goals to reach.

Drive on to your objective....[/quote]

Ranger JLTW!!!,

I wanted an option 40 contract, but only slightly more than an 18x slot. I'd hoped to get a shot at selection down the road anyhow, and figured that if I could make it to the 75th first, then I'd have a better shot at being selected.

Thanks for the support. I'll remain in the background here and put up a few sitreps as my journey begins.

Driving on....

18X Recruit

Return to “Recruitment Process”