Pull up improvemnet?

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Silverback
Ranger

Re: Pull up improvemnet?

Post by Silverback »

74ironhead wrote:I can only do two thus far.

Im weiging in at 227, 6'1, and still dropping weight.

What can i do to do more pull ups,

I work out regularly, biking 6 miles evey 3 days in 20 minutes, weights every otherday, and the days I'm not lifting Im doing push up sit up reps training.

I'm improving in all areas , but the pulklups seem to be coming along slower.

Any suggestions?

Thank You Rangers!
Do pull ups!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

Get some straps. I used to reach hand/wrist fatigue before reaching muscle fatigue. Plus I have sweaty hands. The straps help squeeze a few more out. Keep in mind, they can be a crutch when it counts (graded events) so don't rely on them too much.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

I am guessing that at your height and weight, it's not all muscle and you have some fat you need to rid yourself of. That will help. But in the meantime, you may want to work on pulldowns to build more arm and lat strength. Start with a weight you can do 10 repetitions with and not one more. Do three sets. On the first set you get 10, maybe on the second set you get 7 or 8 and on the third set you 4 or 5. Rest two minutes between sets. Keep using that same weight until you can get 10 on all three sets. When you can get 10 on all three sets, add 5 or 10 pounds to the weight and start the process all over. The key is to make constant progression each time by getting at least one more repetition on the second or thrid set. Do this every other day.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

It's hard to improve when you can only do 2 pull ups at a time; but, not impossible. If you want to go the assisted route, you can buy fitness bands, not the short ones, loop the band over the pull up bar, and stand or kneel in the loop. The bands come in different sizes, so you can adjust the amount of weight that you're actually lifting. You could also spend about $250 on an assisted pull up tower. If you don't want to do assisted pull ups, then just do more sets of two, until you can do a decent set. It will come. There's no shame in having to build up to pull ups; most people can't do any at all. Look at it this way, you're able to lift your big-ass up twice, and soon it will be more than twice.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Sean,

Can you provide some more info on not going to muscle failure?

Jim

Bandito wrote:One important function I have found is that when you workout with pullups, DO NOT GO TO MUSCLE FAILURE. This is actually counter-productive and it will take you longer to improve.

A few good response and recommendations. This is what I recommend:

Do Pyramids. Start with a pyramid that will allow to go just shy of muscle failure. Work your way up until you can start from 1 and go to 10 and back down.

Do this on Mondays and Fridays. On WED, do the following:

3-5 pullups (depending on your strength level) of each with at least 35lbs hanging off of you:

1. straight dead hang pullups
2. chin ups
3. close grip
4. behind the neck

Do three (3) rounds of this. Remember, don't go to muscle failure, you won't get anything out of it. Always keep yourself at least 2 reps below muscle failure when doing pyramids or these strength builders.

Good luck.
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

I always found that doing dips (slow, controlled and deep) helped me. Alternate sets between dips and pull ups. Never try to max either, but do two more per set each week, 3 times per week. Kipping doesn't help - it's not allowed.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92

Return to “About Army Physical Training”